Confused about Amount of Time In Ports???

conandrob240

Below, from the NCL website, the times and the disclaimer about being on the ship 2 hrs before it sails. Does this mean that we have to be back on baord 2 hrs before the times posted here or do the timjes posted reflect that 2 hr pre-sail time?

I am worried because if it is 2 hrs less than posted, we are working with very narrow times in certain ports.

Itinerary Details

Below is the itinerary for the cruise you have chosen and information about the ports of call you'll be visiting.

DayPortArriveDepartWed Athens (Piraeus) -6:00 PMThu Katakolon 9:00 AM2:30 PMFri Corfu 8:00 AM4:00 PMSat At Sea--Sun

Mon Alexandria 7:00 AM

-Overnight

6:00 PMTue At Sea--Wed Iraklion 8:00 AM6:00 PMThu Santorini 8:00 AM6:00 PMFri Mykonos 8:00 AM9:30 PMSat Ephesus (Izmir) 8:00 AM5:00 PMSun Istanbul 12:30 PMOvernightMon At Sea--_EU_jwl_EgypGrk_Ath-Ist_12d.gif

Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking.

Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing.

The reference to 2 hours shown there pertains to embarkation day.

While visiting ports, "all aboard" is generally an hour before leaving, unless tendering is involved. Final tenders can be about 1-1/2 hours before scheduled departure and you'll need to account for the number of passengers who can be transported by those tenders.

You will be apprised of such times at each port, but if you are planning private excursions you should make specific note of whether it is a docked or tender port and plan accordingly. You don't want to miss the ship!

Hopefully someone familiar with your specific itinerary will see your post and provide more specific information.

we have found some cruise lines say onboard 30 minutes before departure, some say and hour. I don't think I have ever been less than an hour myself...but my children (adults) and husband have come close a couple of times, which of course, makes me very nervous as i sit on the balcony watching for them!

our last cruise (adventure of the seas), actually pulled out of port before the published time at least twice....i guess everyone was already accounted for so we were able to leave a few minutes early. but it is fun sometimes to watch a few who have had way too much to drink in port stagger their way along the pier at manage to get aboard at the last minute!

have a great trip!

Beverly

At ports of call, deadline is generally 30 minutes before departure, if docked. If tendering, it may be 45 minutes or more to allow time for the tender to make the trip.

They will let people on up until they cast off, but the latecomers are often jeered by passengers already onboard.

Very latecomers who miss the ship sometimes do find a way to get back on, but that depends on how late they are and if the pilot boat can/will take them. After that, you have to head to the airport for a flight to the next port or home, at your own expense.

The two hour rule, is actually one hour by law. This is at embarkation only. At least it is here in the USA. They pull up the gangway at the one hour mark, to allow homeland security to check out the final manifest and give them time to screen all the passengers before the ship leaves. This way, they can still come and get someone who has boarded but should not be sailing. Like if you have any unpaid parking tickets.:p

yup.... the 2 hours is when leaving US ports. Our great TSA has decided that cruiseships are a great way for the bad guys to sneak out of the country.

Yep, people that pay for a cruise weeks in advance. People that give out credit cards and all kinds of information.

Big danger

That looks like a really great bunch of ports!

On all the NCL cruises I've been on, there is a sign on the walkway as you leave the ship showing the time you must be back on board. Be sure your own watch is set to ship time.

Thanks for the help. I am sure they will tell us on the ship but is there a way to know ahead of time? If I plan my private tours to arrive back an hour before what is listed here, am I safe?

Returning to the ship in each port an hour before the scheduled departure time is definitely safe.

We were on that cruise last year and always made sure to be back from our tours well before sailing time just to be safe. But as others have said, an hour before sailing is fine.

Great itinerary, take lots of pictures!

Archived