Where to stay around Miami Port

thomasale

I have alot of family coming in from outside Florida for a cruise in February. Alot are thinking of flying into Ft. Lauderdale as airfare is quite a bit better. How much does a cab/limo cost to get from Ft. Lauderdale airport to Miami and where is a good place to stay near the port of Miami for good value?

:) A cab from Fort Lauderdale airport to the Port of Miami area should cost you about $70. You could also rent a car at the FLL airport and return it near the ships port. Hertz has a rental car location near the port. I have stayed at Courtyard by Marriott Airport South 3X and will be staying there again this Feb for my Destiny cruise. This hotel is about 10 minutes from the Port of Miami. Another great one to stay at is the Courtyard Miami Downtown. We stayed at this one the night before our first cruise & when we woke up that morning we could see our ship out our window. Whatever hotel you choose just be sure to check some reviews from past guests on a site such as tripadvisor.com .

The Intercontinental Hotel is great, there is also the Hilton, the Hyatt Regency, as well as the Marriott, all of them close to the port, in the downtown area, within walking distance to the shops and Restaurants at Bayside Market Place. (Not to be missed if you are staying in the area).;)

I'm an overplanner and we're flying into FLL and staying in Miami. I found that a taxi ride to Miami is about $75 plus tip. A private car service is about $80 plus tip through Go! Airport Shuttles. There is also a shuttle available through Go! Airport Shuttles as well for $21.00 per person. Depending on the number of people you have, you can make the most cost effective decision. With it being just DH and I, we're opting for the private car service instead of riding around for 1.5-2hrs with other people getting dropped off. But if you have a group big enough to fill the shuttle, that may be best. Here's their website:

http://www.floridalimo.com/

As for the hotel, I did a lot of research and found that there are four hotels within a $10 cab ride to the port. Listing in order from fanciest/most desired:

1. Intercontinental - if you can get it booked. Great rates through AAA.

2. Hyatt Regency

3. Courtyard Marriott Downtown

4. Holiday Inn Port of Miami

Here is a link to my thread on the discussion of hotels:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=794871

Hope this helps.

The Intercontinental Hotel is great,

As for the hotel, I did a lot of research and found that there are four hotels within a $10 cab ride to the port. Listing in order from fanciest/most desired:

1. Intercontinental - if you can get it booked. Great rates through AAA.

I highly recommend this hotel:)

We just got back from our cruise......we flew in a day in advance into FLL and rented a car tha we picked up right at the airport. We drove down to Miami(which was a very easy drive) and spent the day visiting a couple of places in Miami. We'd heard that driving in Miami was horrible but it was really pretty easy.:) We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Coconut Grove which is also in a very nice area with a nice restaurant area behind it and is priced very moderately. It is a nice, clean hotel with great service...and you get free breakfast in the morning and coffee and drinks all day. You also get free parking. In the morning before the cruise we drove the car to the rental place and they shutttled us to the port and dropped us off right in front. I think the rental was about $40. a day.

When we returned the shuttle picked us up at the airport and took us to the rental place where we picked up the car and drove it around for the day before we drove up to FLL airport and dropped it off right at the airport....very easy.

We always try to stay at the Holiday Inn Bayside, it's across the street from the Bayside Marina..The is a lot to do there including eating at Forest Gump Seafood.....Dennis

holiday inn bayside about 200 per night not real fancy but 10 minutes from airport and 10 minutes from cruise port no shuttles but cab is cheap plus bayside market right across the street nice precruise night lots to see dont eat breakfast at the hotel too costly not very good and very slooow save it for the ship:)

I believe TanIslandGirl is on the same cruise we are Feb 23, 2009.

We are flying into FLL from Rochester, NY the day before and will arrive in FLL around 1:00pm. I am still trying to figure out if it is best to get a hotel in Fort Lauderdale and get one in Miami. Any recommendations. We don't want to spend a lot on the room but yet we want a place to relax that also has a pool. The only thing I could find was the Ramada Inn (FLL) that also offers a Shuttle Service to the port of Miami for a little cash.

I just don't want to spend a lot of money on taxis. I want to have it set so when we land we have something waiting for us. There will be two adults and one 11 year old DS.

The way home isn't an issue as we will be staying with the DW aunt in St Lucie all day Saturday until we fly out on Sunday.

With the info I have provided above where would you stay? In FLL or near the port? Ideas, Suggestions?

Archived