1st Time RCI Cruiser Question--Boarding Security

I have a question that maybe some of you folks can help me with. What can I expect in terms of security when boarding an RCI cruise?

Last August I had knee replacement surgery, which means I get the Special Extra Clearing Security Checks at the airport for the rest of all time. But I was wondering if the same is true of coming onboard ship for a cruise. Some friends of mine and I are planning a trip to Panama next March on Jewel.

I've cruised once before, to the Southern/Eastern Caribbean on HAL, but that was before my knee replacement, so I wondered if there was anything I would need to do (arrive extra special early) or show (have a set of x-rays for security).

Oh, and thanks (Seriously, I really DO have manners, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding).

I have been traveling with knee replacement, 14 pins, 3 metal rods and several other plates and stuff for 20 years and I carry a card. What ever you bring to go through the air be prepared for the same scrutiny at the port. If you don't have the card call you Dr. asap and request one.

You don't need your xrays! You should have some sort of "card" that shows what you had done. Hubby has a pacemaker (can't go through the metal detectors) and he shows his "pacemaker" card and gets a pat-down.

I had a knee replacement in 2001 and have never had a problem going through ship security. My knee has never set off the alarm at any port. The detection level at the port is much less than at the airport.

I have a card, doesn't mean anything in the airports. Once you set it off, you go through the whole routine. And my knee always sets it off.

JFK has the new x-ray machines. Much easier and takes about 10 seconds. Walk in, face one way, then another and walk out.

I set the alarms off everywhere I go with a leg full of titanium and a hip replacement. I don't carry a card, I tell them where the metal is and they scan and pat it down to make sure it's not a weapon, it just takes a few seconds.

This is not all that related, but somewhat and I thought you all would get a laugh out of it.

I had a boss once who practically got the full pat down because the sensor keep going off repeatedly. After virtually removing all clothing that is acceptable in public, he finally remembered that he had on a jock strap (he was in route to a soccor tournament) that had a metal clip on the inside to attach the cup (the real old type style).

He was never so embarassed in his life as trying to explain to the female guard why he had on a metal laced jock strap. We have teased him about this for years.

Needless to say, he bought a new one once he got to Spain.

So remember, whatever happens with your replacement parts, you still have a much less embarassing story than this.

Happy Cruising.

Thank you to everyone who posted! I know I'll probably just have to go and see what happens, but it's nice to hear from all of you what your experience is.

I'm flying for the first time since surgery in August, so I'll see how airport security goes and plan accordingly for my cruise.

Thanks again!

Thank you to everyone who posted! I know I'll probably just have to go and see what happens, but it's nice to hear from all of you what your experience is.

I'm flying for the first time since surgery in August, so I'll see how airport security goes and plan accordingly for my cruise.

Thanks again!

I do hope all goes well for you and you enjoy your cruise. I will be up in your area next week for the Fourth. I have good friends who live in Millersville, MD.

They are taking us downtown for the Fireworks and sightseeing.

Dave

Archived