Would Appreciate Help Selecting Panama Canal Cruise

We did the PC on Serenade in 2005 and loved it. If you are someone that likes to read about your destination before you go I would recommend "Panama Canal by Cruise Ship" by Anne ViPond. I bought the book before our cruise and found if very informative. RCI was selling the same book on the cruise. I think Borders had a little better price than RCI.

Great tip. Thanks. I do read a lot about destinations before I go. Always recommend that. I've made a note of the book.

Definitely do the entire transit thru the locks, they are truely amazing. And, it is just a marvel to see what man can do when he puts his mind to it. Ports were ok, Costa Rico the best with wonderful excursions. Serenade is one of our favorites and this is one of our top 5 cruise experiences. Also, be sure to get a balcony cabin at least. Once you have gone thru some locks watching from pool deck and then 5th floor (Promenade deck where you will end up below ground level and can reach out and touch actual lock), you will be able to just sit and enjoy the view and experience. imho

We have an aft cabin on the 7th floor on Jewel on the 17th to Panama Canal. Will that be a good location or should be see the canal from another spot. First cruise with a cabin off the rear end.

Look for a REPO,We took the Seranade OTS on a reposition from San Juan to San Franisco in April.It will be going back to San Juan I believe in October.The cruise was for fourteen days and was really great.We also met a lot of Good friends at the M & M.

Sometimes the REPO are a little cheaper,With airfares you may have to get two flights one way,but If I had to do again I would take this one.

We are wanting a LOOOONG Panama Canal cruise. We would appreciate views on the best ship for this cruise and also the best time of year to cruise. Many thanks.

Hi petesweet...............we have done 5 full transits through the PC........both east and westbound. Each time was better than before.

If you want to do a 14 day cruise in 2009 on a Radiance class ship, then it will have to be on Serenade out of San Juan in the spring or in the fall, as Radiance will be staying on the west coast beginning in 2009.

The best time of year............we have done both spring sailings and fall sailings. I would say that each time was fine weather wise.........it is extremely hot going through the canal and it almost always rains..............our cruise in 2004 on Radiance was the only PC cruise where it did not rain.

It is an amazing cruise with great ports of call................I think you would really enjoy it.

We have an aft cabin on the 7th floor on Jewel on the 17th to Panama Canal. Will that be a good location or should be see the canal from another spot. First cruise with a cabin off the rear end.

We had a corner aft on the Brilliance and started the day on an upper deck forward to watch the approach to the locks. We spent the whole day on the ship so we moved around alot but when we were ready to return through the locks we went right to our aft cabin. The views were amazing. Photos from our trip in the link below.

Aft is awesome!

Kathy:)

I am looking forward to a full transit next March, 14 days on Oosterdam, San Diego to FLL leaving 2/28/09. Actually, that is the prelude...I am staying on until we reach Rome on April 1. Prices were VERY good. $6500 with air and single supp. for OV cabin. EM

Radiance and Serenade both fit the bill to a T. There are so many places to watch the transit that you will be amazed. We started the morning out on the helipad, moved up the top deck about midmorning and by noon we were aft watching the transit thru the second set of locks. We then went to deck five and touched the side of the lock as we were going thru and then went to our balcony for the rest of the trip to Gatun Lake. Once there we got off the ship for an excursion and a very up close look at the Gatun Locks, before reboarding at Cristobal Pier.

cyscopup - I have seen many of your posts on the AZ Cruisers board. I would like to ask you a few questions as we are starting to look into the Panama Canal cruises in 2010. Please email me at dcatallini@yahoo.com so I can direct my questions to you directly, if possible.

Thanks!!!

Debbi

If you want to do a 14 day cruise in 2009 on a Radiance class ship, then it will have to be on Serenade out of San Juan in the spring or in the fall, as Radiance will be staying on the west coast beginning in 2009.

Ship Name: Serenade Of The Seas

Departure Port: San Diego, California

Ports of Call: San Diego, California; Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; Acapulco, Mexico; Huatulco, Mexico; Guatemala City, Guatemala; Puntarenas, Costa Rica; Panama Canal (Cruising Canal); Cristobal Pier, Panama; George Town, Grand Cayman; Miami, Florida

2009 Date(s): Oct 03

Ship Name: Serenade Of The Seas

Departure Port: San Diego, California

Ports of Call: San Diego, California; Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; Acapulco, Mexico; Huatulco, Mexico; Guatemala City, Guatemala; Puntarenas, Costa Rica; Panama Canal (Cruising Canal); Cristobal Pier, Panama; George Town, Grand Cayman; Miami, Florida

2009 Date(s): Oct 03

I knew I should have added "in the fall from San Diego"!!:o

First off...there is nothing in the world to compare to the Panama Canal locks.

Secondly, Nov and Dec are rainy season, please check for your self:

google "panama weather"

Third: Get up early, pick a spot, forward or aft, and enjoy!!!!!

Archived