Sandals on casual nights in dining room?

thehinsons4

I stand by what I said: Without the addition of some kind of qualifier, your statement: "sandals even flip flops are acceptable", remains false.

I wear both sandals and slides (which make a "flip-flop" sound when you walk, but are not considered flip flops), so you decide.

I really don't think it matters. I have seen jeans in the dining room on formal night. I don't think they will say anything about your sandals. I have never seen anyone be turned away going into the dining room.

I stand by what I said: Without the addition of some kind of qualifier, your statement: "sandals even flip flops are acceptable", remains false.

This will be my final post regarding "flop flips" but I could not resist.....maybe this will help:

"In footwear and fashion, flip-flops (also known as thongs, jandals or pluggers) are a flat, backless, usually rubber sandal consisting of a flat sole held loosely on the foot by a Y-shaped strap, like a thin thong, that passes between the first (big) and second toes and around either side of the foot. They appear to have been developed based on traditional Japanese woven or wooden soled sandals.

The flip-flop is not the only type of thong sandal. Other types exist, many of which are dressier and more formal than simple flip-flops. A basic thong sandal is held on the foot by a strip that fits between the first and second toes and is connected to a strap usually passing over the top or around the sides of the foot. Some thong sandals have a strap that forms a loop around the first (big) toe. However, many different additions and variations of straps are possible. Thong sandals come in a variety of styles such as women's heels, slides, and wedges, or kitten heels."

Isn't the qualifier outlined in Carnival's statement, therefore I would be reinstating the obvious! JMHO

Have a pleasant evening

Now you're missing the entire point of a message board. People come here for information. Yes, Carnival includes the qualifier. If you leave it out, when you anwer questions, then you are misleading the person who asked the question.

BTW : The definition of a flip flop was never in question. We all know what a flip flop is. What is unfortunately left up for interpretion is the qualifier; "beach". You still don't see that this was part of my original point, do you ?

If carnival had made a rule that was simple and clear cut, something like: "no flip flops" or "no thong styled foot wear" then there would be no questioin. Most people would have a clear understanding. But Carnival's inclusion of the word "beach" as a qualifier leaves it open to miles of interpretation.

And anytime you leave it up to the people to interpret such a thing, what you will get it the lowest version of it that there is. Trust me, you WILL see nasty looking rubber beach flip flops in the dining room. And if you ask that person about the "no beach" type, he will likely tell you that the ones he's wearing are his GOOD pair, and are not intended for the beach.

And don't you see, statements like yours just help that person along. He gets to point to this message board and say: "Besides, I read it right on Cruise Critic. It says "sandals even flip flops are acceptable". It didn't say nothing about them havin' to be fancy."

Now you're missing the entire point of a message board. People come here for information. Yes, Carnival includes the qualifier. If you leave it out, when you anwer questions, then you are misleading the person who asked the question.

BTW : The definition of a flip flop was never in question. We all know what a flip flop is. What is unfortunately left up for interpretion is the qualifier; "beach". You still don't see that this was part of my original point, do you ?

If carnival had made a rule that was simple and clear cut, something like: "no flip flops" or "no thong styled foot wear" then there would be no questioin. Most people would have a clear understanding. But Carnival's inclusion of the word "beach" as a qualifier leaves it open to miles of interpretation.

And anytime you leave it up to the people to interpret such a thing, what you will get it the lowest version of it that there is. Trust me, you WILL see nasty looking rubber beach flip flops in the dining room. And if you ask that person about the "no beach" type, he will likely tell you that the ones he's wearing are his GOOD pair, and are not intended for the beach.

And don't you see, statements like yours just help that person along. He gets to point to this message board and say: "Besides, I read it right on Cruise Critic. It says "sandals even flip flops are acceptable". It didn't say nothing about them havin' to be fancy."

I think your posts are just as misleading. DST is correct that sandals and flip flops are allowed and always have been. If someone were to ask me if flip flops are allowed I would tell them yes. They can read the dress code and decide from that. But you are right, it's how people interpret this. But this goes true for any kind of dress. This is nothing new.......

So what I guess I am saying is that I feel in a way you both are correct........

Archived