Alaska, which ship?

kat89447

Since my DH didn't get to go on our cruise this summer, we are thinking of booking one next year for Alaska. I have been before, but he and dd 10 have not. The inner passage is a must but other ports don't matter as much. Anyone have any recommendations on cruise line or particular ship. Would prefer to take out of Vancouver or Seattle and we like both freestyle type and traditional dining. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Cruise ship - cruise line -- tough.

Your family should all sit down and decide what you will like to do on the ship since you say that the ports aren't important. To me -- the ports are important.

Also - which Glacier would you prefer to see?? Hubbard or Glacier Bay? This may eliminate a few itineraries.

HAL has both traditional and AsYouWishDining which is like freestyle dining. You have to choose one of the types. You can't do one one night and the other another night. Also HAL still has the Lido for casual dinner and the Pinnacle ($20 charge right now) for more formal dining.

I've seen glacier bay and loved it. Never seen Hubbard and they have never seen either. I went over 20 years ago and my mind is a little muddy about the actual itineraries that are better or worse. Any thoughts out there? I will be taking a now 10 year old. More inclined to sail with RCCL or NCL or Princess than HAL only because they seem to be more geared to kids. My parents love HAL but admit there is less family stuff than others.

We did Glacier Bay on the NCL Pearl out of Seattle last year and had a wonderful time.

NCL has round trips out of Seattle and Vancouver. Out of Seattle one ship goes to Glacier Bay, the other to Sawyer. Both go around the outside of Vancouver Island before cutting in to the Inside Passage. Out of Vancouver, they go to Sawyer, but stay on the inside passage all the way.

The next time we go to Alaska (2009 or 10?) we want to do a cruise-tour to include Fairbanks and Denali, so we're looking at Princess. These tours go one direction (north or south).

It all depends what you want (round-trip vs. one-way)(Glacier Bay?)(Vancouver vs. Seattle). You get the idea.

I highly recommend the smaller ships for Alaska. Cruise West is a fantastic company who departs out of Seattle. Their ships hold approx. 100 passengers. They can (and will) get you much closer to glaciers, waterfalls and wildlife than the large ships can.

Just thought I'd give you another area to research!

Happy sailing! You're gonna love Alaska no matter what ship you take!

Since my DH didn't get to go on our cruise this summer, we are thinking of booking one next year for Alaska. I have been before, but he and dd 10 have not. The inner passage is a must but other ports don't matter as much. Anyone have any recommendations on cruise line or particular ship. Would prefer to take out of Vancouver or Seattle and we like both freestyle type and traditional dining. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Just got back from AK on the Golden Princess. Good itinerary (Seattle, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm, Victoria, Seattle), nice size ship. Liked it very much (posted a summary on Roll Call/Princess/Golden/Alaska June 14) You might want to read that. I wrote a good amount about the ship

all alaska cruises cruise, some part, of the inside passage. they have to, juneau, skagway, ketchikan (to name a few) are all ON the inside passage. the ships do take different routes through all the islands, depending on weather and other ship traffic. but even the cruises that don't list "inside passage" sail it.

are you planning a 1-way or a round-trip, sounds like a round-trip?

i would go to the websites for the different ports and see what appeals to the family, then choose the cruise that goes to the ports/glaciers, you want.

Archived