United Cancels FLL- Reroute to MIA

ccrain

V-Mail from United cancelling our flights to FLL for two cruises. Called back, got flights to MIA, almost same schedule, no problems.

So now, how to get from MIA to hotel in FLL as cheap as possible.

I imagine there will be a lot of us United FLL refuges scanning this board closely.

Isn't there or didn't there used to be a regulated fare from MIA to FLL so that we could taxi to FLL and then catch the free hotel shuttle from there?

I'm sorry about your plight. United has also dropped all flights to and from West Palm Beach. That will impact those who fly to WPB for cruises out of Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

There are amny threads here that discuss how to get to FLL from Miami International. I would gladly answer if I knew how to do it.

There is no flat rate from MIA to FLL. Super Shuttle offers a shared ride fare of $30 per person from MIA to FLL/Port Everglades. Taxicabs cost around $72+ to FLL.

We are on the same boat. We have a group travel with United and just found out our flight was canceled.

I am starting with rental car also. Which company offers no drop off fee from MIA to FLL? Which company offers shuttle to drop off the driver to the port?

Many thanks for your help,

Jane

We are on the same boat. We have a group travel with United and just found out our flight was canceled.

I am starting with rental car also. Which company offers no drop off fee from MIA to FLL? Which company offers shuttle to drop off the driver to the port?

Many thanks for your help,

Jane

SuperShuttle seems to be the cheapest. As we approach the day, I will call and get exact pricing, but its looking like around $75 for the two of us to the Hotel.

A cab to FLL would be about $75, but then we'd have to wait for the Hotel Shuttle. I'm figuring a cab to the Hotel would be about $125 with tip.

The Princess transfer to MIA, if it remains at $25pp on the return actually looks the best, otherwise a cab looks to be about $100 with tip.

So the bottom line is we may just cab to the hotel, free shuttle to the cruise port and then Princess transfer to MIA after the cruise.

It will cost more than originally planned, but then FF miles on the airfare alone saves a bundle, plus two free nights at the hotel.

I don't believe any of the rental car companies charge a drop off fee for returning to a different location (I think it is against Florida law).

This happened to us as well on American Airlines. We had booked, via Alaska Air, a flight from LAX-FLL and it was cancelled. They did not notify us rather I checked the status online and I saw that I had no current flight. When I called they said we would now have a stop in Chicago. I asked them if they could find a direct to Miami instead, and they did do that with no problem.

Because of this I will be renting a car in MIA and dropping it off at FLL before my cruise(we are spending a few days in FLL to visit with family before the cruise).

I guess my question is: When I drop my car off at FLL, what is the best way to get to the cruise terminal? Should I drop off our stuff at the cruise terminal then return the car? Or should we take our luggage to drop off the car, then take a taxi to Port Everglades?

Looks like quite a few of us are going to be stranded in Miami with United canceling flights to FLL. There are eleven of us that need transportation from Miami International Airport to our hotel in Fort Lauderdale, then will need transportation from the cruise port back to Miami for our flight home.

I'll be watching these boards frantically looking for the best option for us.

And to all of you United strandees, hang in there and hope for a decent transfer solution.

My wife found out about this yesterday on this website. I called United and they tried to book us to Miami and I said No!

I told them US Airways had flights available and they changed us to US Airways without any arguments. Another plus, we get in earlier the day before our cruise this November.

Rick

I guess my question is: When I drop my car off at FLL, what is the best way to get to the cruise terminal? Should I drop off our stuff at the cruise terminal then return the car? Or should we take our luggage to drop off the car, then take a taxi to Port Everglades?

I'd drop the car off at FLL airport, then skoot down to the baggage claim area and grab a cab. We've done this before and it doesn't take very much time. One other time we took the cab back to the airport then cabbed it back to the hotel and took a shuttle the next morning to the port.

For our next cruise, we're dropping the car off the morning of the cruise at the airport, and grabbing a cab outside the baggage claim area at the airport, and then have the cab take us to the port area.

My wife found out about this yesterday on this website. I called United and they tried to book us to Miami and I said No!

I told them US Airways had flights available and they changed us to US Airways without any arguments. Another plus, we get in earlier the day before our cruise this November.

Rick

Just hope US AIR is still in business by then:D

I don't believe any of the rental car companies charge a drop off fee for returning to a different location (I think it is against Florida law).

Actually that is not correct. I know that Thrifty/Dollar here in Pt Canaveral will charge one from one way rentals in Orlando. Most dont but its good to check!

Preston

This happened to us as well on American Airlines. We had booked, via Alaska Air, a flight from LAX-FLL and it was cancelled. They did not notify us rather I checked the status online and I saw that I had no current flight. When I called they said we would now have a stop in Chicago. I asked them if they could find a direct to Miami instead, and they did do that with no problem.

Because of this I will be renting a car in MIA and dropping it off at FLL before my cruise(we are spending a few days in FLL to visit with family before the cruise).

I would only go to the port once. Traffic can be heavy. Also I would find a place to return your car that has shuttle service.

Preston

I booked my mother's ticket back in May thru United to fly from Pa. to FFL for cruise in Dec. After reading these boards, I thought I'd better check her itinerary, as I was not notified of United terminating service to FFL.(I'm booked on Delta, flying to FLL from AZ.) Low and behold, there it was on the itinerary-schedule change-call! When I called, I was given 2 options-that she could be re-routed into Miami, or the ticket could be refunded in full.(it was a non-refundable ticket)...I left it in limbo till yesterday-I learned that US Air is a code share of United. I called United, and the agent told me that the ticket could not be re-booked with U.S. Air. I hung up, and called back-spoke to a different agent:D, who said it would be no problem re-booking with US Air-she attempted to book it, but had problems with the type of fare on one of the legs of the ticket. At this point I canceled with United, was given a full refund, and booked on-line with US AIR; the new fare was only $45 more. One help tip to know with US AIR is if you purchase your ticket prior to July 9th, you won't have to pay the $15 fee for 1st piece of luggage.....Happy cruising!:cool:

Archived