Luggage and Transfer Question

msuweather

Hi! We are taking our first Princess cruise next week. YEAH!!! We are flying into Vancouver a day early and staying at Sutton Place with a transfer from the airport to the hotel. I've read that once we clear customs that we should meet the Princess representative.

My question is will we go get our luggage ourselves or will princess know to get ours by the luggage tags?

Also we have these sticky strips but nothing is written on them and I can't figure out what they are for. Do we just bring them and the cruise people use them once we get to the ship?

I'm sorry if these seem like stupid questions - I just have no idea and thought I would ask :D

You will have to claim your luggage and then meet up with the princess rep at the baggage claim. They do not claim your luggage for you.

If you are referring to the luggage tags (as sticky strips) then you need to fill those out (self explanatory as it asks for name, sailing date and stateroom number) and afix them to your bags (on the handles, not on the actual bag itself. The stick strips keep them from coming apart during loading and delivery) so when you turn them over at the pier they will know where to deliver them.

There is another thought to putting your luggage tags with ship and stateroom info on before leaving home.

On our Trans Pacific cruise from Sydney to LA our luggage did not make it to Sydney when we did. If it had not arrived at our pre-cruise hotel before we left on the cruise, the airline would have known where we were going, since we had attached the ship's "sticky'' tag and also had our itinerary printed out and slipped into the luggage.

You will pick up your luggage and then proceed through Canadian customs, I don't recall which side of customs you will meet the Princess rep as Vancouver is where we return to. As for luggage tags, we never used to put them on until we got to the hotel the night before the cruise or until we got to the pier. However after reading many posts on the topic we learned that when baggage handlers see they tickets they try very hard to make sure your bags get on the plane you are on and get them transfered promptly. We recently tried it, the check-in agent spotted our tags, tagged the bags "PRIORITY" and our bags were waiting for us in LAX before we got to the carousel. We are now converts to pretagging.:) :)

We are taking our cruise after a land tour of Canada. Because we will already have cleared customs in Calgary, from US, (we are on a short commuter flight to Vancouver) we are confused a bit. So should we still put the tags on for the short flight? I usually just put the tags on at the hotel the night before cruise. Also because we booked the hotel through princess (it was actually cheaper--go figure) it includes the ride from airport to hotel. So do we meet the princess rep right at the baggage claim? Anita

Princess usually sends extra luggage tags, so my suggestion would be to put one set on before you leave home. Once you claim your bags in Vancouver, if the tags are intact, leave them be. If the tags have been ripped off or destroyed in transit, replace them with a new tag. Just make sure to fill them out before you leave home. Saves time and aggrevation on site.:)

Archived