Traditional Dining or Flexible Dining???

Catrin

Would you opt for the new flexible seating at dinner?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Would you opt for the new flexible seating at dinner?

• I would choose Traditional Seating
    • I would choose Flexible Seating

Dan - although the majority of CC members prefer traditional that does not necessarily mean that the majority of cruisers want traditional. We represent a very small % of total cruisers. If anytime was not working, then the cruise lines would do away with it - plain and simple. I couldn't agree less with your dumbing down argument - some of the most expensive luxury ships have a country club casual dress policy -no formal nights - I think most those pax would seriously be offended if you implied they are lowest common denominator. I do agree with you concerning the demographic of the mass lines - it is basically, although not completely, the same.

We really enjoy flexible dining. After ten cruises with traditional dining, it was a real treat to dine when we wanted to and not inconveniencing anyone else by having them wait for our arrival in the main dining room. It's a pain to have to tell the Maitre'd or your waiter that you will not be dining in the traditional dining room that evening or the next evening. It's nice to be able to decide whether to eat in the buffet or the dining room or have room service late in the day. When we had a table and waitstaff we really liked, we were able to make a reservation for that table at a certain time if it were not already booked. We never had to wait more than ten minutes for a table for two at any time, and only twice on a fifteen day cruise and once on a ten day cruise. Flexible dining gave us a tremendous feeling of freedom! We ate when we felt like it, chose a large table or a table for two depending on our mood. One still dressed for dinner according to whatever dress code was in effect that evening, and the only thing really different, other than set time and tablemates, was that more people arrived and departed to/from different tables at different times during your meal.............more like a regular restaurant at home. Most people seated together had arrived around the same time so that your particular table was not disrupted by arrivals and departures, and we all ate together as if it were a traditional table.

This is our first cruise on Carnival, so it will be different going back to traditional............guess we'll re-evaluate and see if our opinion has changed after our cruise.

There has never been a scientific poll on Cruise Critic. Not once.

90% of the 70% that caved to the imaginary dress code are sheep.

This Platinum cruise will select anytime dining 120% of the time.

120% of the time? So much for the accuracy of your numbers..........:D

Would you care to comment on what did, AND still does happen, on the ships? People STILL dress up, semi savages excepted.

Dan

Dan - although the majority of CC members prefer traditional that does not necessarily mean that the majority of cruisers want traditional. We represent a very small % of total cruisers. If anytime was not working, then the cruise lines would do away with it - plain and simple. I couldn't agree less with your dumbing down argument - some of the most expensive luxury ships have a country club casual dress policy -no formal nights - I think most those pax would seriously be offended if you implied they are lowest common denominator. I do agree with you concerning the demographic of the mass lines - it is basically, although not completely, the same.

I would argue that the sampling polls of CC member are just as valid as the various phony-baloney national polls taken everywhere about everything. But I won't

The actual reality is reflected in the FACT that traditional has more requests than space is available while anytime sometimes gets overflow traditionalists in a section of the anytime dining room. NEVER the other way around. Now that's a not so random sampling of actual cruisers on actual ships.

Dan

We don't have any choice. When you have a child with Autism...consistancy is the key.

We depend on "constants" like "same time, same waiters etc" or he won't eat

at night.

I would argue that the sampling polls of CC member are just as valid as the various phony-baloney national polls taken everywhere about everything. But I won't

The actual reality is reflected in the FACT that traditional has more requests than space is available while anytime sometimes gets overflow traditionalists in a section of the anytime dining room. NEVER the other way around. Now that's a not so random sampling of actual cruisers on actual ships.

Dan

You could argue and be wrong if you choose. ;)

The FACT is that many people want to eat a particular time, assigned seating or not, and some times are more popular than others. It has nothing to do with the dining method.

You could argue and be wrong if you choose. ;)

The FACT is that many people want to eat a particular time, assigned seating or not, and some times are more popular than others. It has nothing to do with the dining method.

Oh I get it now. 65% of the people want to eat at a particular time in assigned seating and 35% want to eat at a particular time in [the now strangely named] "anytime dining."

Ahhh... thanx for clearing that up...........maybe.....

Dan

Sure sounds like it's all about Me Me Me. :rolleyes:

100% correct! It IS the waiters job to take care of me. I'd have assumed you'd know that.

But it is not Me, Me, Me at the expense of others. That's your bailiwick.

Dan

quote=dan40

Dan

I would agree, that some people who want traditional are either turned away or put on a wait list, however I don't know for fact - and neither do you - that there are enough people to fill up one additional dining room, (thinking of Princess where there are three dining rooms), for two seatings. It would be my guess that there probably aren't. Besides, I'm not really sure what you beef with anytime dining is? I know from experience on Princess, I can have the same table and server every night in anytime if I choose - only my diner companions will be different - not a problem IMO.

Oh I get it now. 65% of the people want to eat at a particular time in assigned seating and 35% want to eat at a particular time in [the now strangely named] "anytime dining."

Ahhh... thanx for clearing that up...........maybe.....

Dan

Allow me oversimplify it for you. :rolleyes:

When 100% of dining is traditional, not every gets the dining time they selected. When 100% of dining is anytime, every one gets the dining time they selected..

I'll stick with traditional, late, as long as I have the choice... I can't imagine it would be easy getting seating in the same area for 100+ cruisers with flexible dining, and that is the most important part for me :)

100% correct! It IS the waiters job to take care of me. I'd have assumed you'd know that.

But it is not Me, Me, Me at the expense of others. That's your bailiwick.

Dan

If the You You You can't even remember a simple detail such as your waiter's name how do you know you have the same waiter every night?

Exactly what is my bailiwick and exactly what does it cost You You You?

Do I not have the same rights as a dinosaur?

I would agree, that some people who want traditional are either turned away or put on a wait list, however I don't know for fact - and neither do you - that there are enough people to fill up one additional dining room, (thinking of Princess where there are three dining rooms), for two seatings. It would be my guess that there probably aren't. Besides, I'm not really sure what you beef with anytime dining is? I know from experience on Princess, I can have the same table and server every night in anytime if I choose - only my diner companions will be different - not a problem IMO.

Yikes - I really do know how to spell dinner. LOL! :eek:

Allow me oversimplify it for you. :rolleyes:

When 100% of dining is traditional, not every gets the dining time they selected. When 100% of dining is anytime, every one gets the dining time they selected..

Well, your very simple statement is true, and very simply put.

I'll ignore the thought that it has nothing at all to do with the standing fact that both in this poll and in nightly reality aboard ships that Traditional is more popular than anytime.

I do not have a problem, with any cruiseline presenting the choice of traditional AND anytime. I have stated that I do not care for anytime, but I have never said or suggested that the choice of anytime is wrong. Why you post like anything but anytime is stupid, I don't know. You want anytime like Micky D's or BK, or Applebee's, enjoy it. Leave the traditional to us dinos who have been there, done that and ARE wiser than you are. You'll catch up some day, with luck.

Dan

I guess that I have a question regarding the new Flexible dining

Would it be like the Open dining for breakfast and lunch where they sit you with whomever you arrive with ...?

Like if you are alone... they would sit you with other passengers?

I know that may sound like a silly question ...

and I am sorry

with traditional dining it was nice to sit with other families that had kids ...when I cruised with my kids

and it was nice to sit with other singles when I sailed solo...

I'll ignore the thought that it has nothing at all to do with the standing fact that both in this poll and in nightly reality aboard ships that Traditional is more popular than anytime.

In reality, on my last Princess cruise, 2 dining rooms were reserved for anytime dining and only 1 for traditional. Your statement is not accurate.

I do not have a have a problem, with any cruiseline presenting the choice of traditional AND anytime. I have stated that I do not care for anytime, but I have never said or suggested that the choice of anytime is wrong. Why you post like anything but anytime is stupid, I don't know. You want anytime like Micky D's or BK, or Applebee's, enjoy it. Leave the traditional to us dinos who have been there, done that and ARE wiser than you are. You'll catch up some day, with luck.

Dinos always have a problem with change, with progress.

What some refer to as dumbing down is actually the cruise lines getting smart and listening to what people want.

Wiser than me? You're funny. Perhaps one day you will learn to embrace change, but if not, there is always evolution.

Unless you have actually tried a flexible type dining you really have nothing to compare. If you are traveling in a group that is large enough to have a table alone, it is one thing, but I really feel like most people find eating with strangers a very strained thing, and something that they are most uncomfortable doing. They tolerate it but are happy to be able to leave the table as soon as they are finished.

While a number of CC members think they develop a relationship with their servers, they really don't. The servers make copious notes about likes and dislikes and just follow their notes. If the servers rotated tables nightly the same items would appear after the first night. As far as friends made over dinner, there is no doubt in my mind that it does happen, but it is much less common than some would have you believe.

Unless you have a party of more than 6 it is rare to wait for a table ever during flex dining. The waits that I have seen are because the hostess cannot move fast enough, not because the tables are not ready. I also find that I get much better service and higher quality food with flexible dining.

People who prefer traditional are soon going to be faced with some difficult decisions IMO. I think that all the mass market lines will do away with traditional dining within the next 36 months and I also think that any semblemce of formal nights will also be gone in that same time frame. It has already happened on over 50% of the upscale lines and if it works there you can be sure that it will work on the mass market lines.

I could not disagree more. Time after time, cruise after cruise I/we have been at a table with people who were strangers the first night and two nights later there is a rush by all to tell/share stories about the day. Many times, I/we have ended up going with or inviting along table mates on port explorations/excursions/shopping adventures as well as going to shows and meeting for drinks. By the end of the cruise, we have shared stories about each others lives that people who are “eating with strangers a very strained thing, and something that they are most uncomfortable doing.” would never do. More times then I can count I have had told to me/us, as well as said, things such as, “This cruise was great, but sharing dinner with everyone here each night has made it special.” This is coming from someone (Yes, me.) who does tend to be a bit crusty, aloof and a tad anti-social at times.

When I look around the dining room and see many other tables (many….as in most) doing the same, hugging each other the last night, trading info, taking group pics, it is clear to me what I/we have experienced over and over, time after time is the norm, the rule, and is not the exception. I am not going to say it occurs every cruise, but when such does not occur and the table is more chilly or aloof, it is such a rare occurrence it is rather surprising.

Regarding your take on the staff, that they take notes and thus are interchangeable… I will cut to the chase and just say point blank, you are wrong. Notes may be taken, in-fact I would be surprised if some notes where not taken, but interchangeable? Absolutely not.

I will say this, ANYONE who seems to always end up at a “disagreeable” or “chilly” table really needs to stop and take a look into the mirror.

Regarding the elimination of traditional dining, it will not occur across all the lines. Forget that many people enjoy such for a moment, traditional dining in some form will remain because of economics. The Traditional Dining room staff on the lines that offer both Traditional and Anytime/Flex are the best of the best. Because of that they often get tips above the auto-tip where most of the staff in the Anytime/Flex do not. (I have been told this by the staff on several lines/ships that offer both) That is quite the motivation to get better at ones job and make more money. Such a motivation will not be done away with on all the cruise lines. Some lines will continue to see the value of such motivation. That traditional dining is also desired by many of the passengers will just add to the many reasons traditional dining will remain in some form on most of the cruise lines.

I guess that I have a question regarding the new Flexible dining

Would it be like the Open dining for breakfast and lunch where they sit you with whomever you arrive with ...?

Like if you are alone... they would sit you with other passengers?

I know that may sound like a silly question ...

and I am sorry

with traditional dining it was nice to sit with other families that had kids ...when I cruised with my kids

and it was nice to sit with other singles when I sailed solo...

It depends on how Carnival implements it.

On other lines I have often been given choices of where to sit and asked which I prefer. For example to sit a medium or large table or even to have a table to myself or...

On several cruise lines, you still can make a reservation in the anytime dining for a specific table and/or waiter, if you find something you like. Not all requests can be granted. Obviously, if you hook up with another family during the cruise, you can make plans with them to show up at the dining room at the same time and then request to be seated together.

In general, it is very flexible.

But you can still choose traditional on Carnival, if you wish. I doubt Carnival will do away with it. It does appeal to some.

ok

because my kids really enjoyed dining in the dining room with the traditional, because the were able to sit with the other kids that they had be friended that first night :)

They looked forward to the dining room for dinner , due to the other kids and the waiters that entertained them;)

Dinner was always enjoyable .

However open breakfast and lunch was not as fun for either of them ...and my son actually preferred the buffet for those

and then dinner with our special table At night

My daughter loved the food for breakfast in the dining room , open seating , but soon after eating ...wanted to leave.

And I was always left to eat lunch by myself ...neither child really wanted to eat in the dining room :( even though I did

I personally prefer the dining room food , over the buffet area .

The option of 'anytime' or 'traditional' ABSOLUTELY WILL become permanent fleetwide. Carnival's "test" is a sham. They already have years of experience with it thru Princess. And this may p.o. Princess cruisers, but the demo of Princess cruisers is essentially the same as Carnival cruisers. And it will work pretty much like this poll, 60-65% traditional/35 40% anytime. Platinum cruisers will be able to get traditional while new cruisers will be told traditional is sold out.

Why would they do this when they know it doesn't really work?

Seems like it is going the other way now on Princess;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=757368&highlight=traditional+anytime+dining+poll

Archived