Booking a Cruise Last Minute At the Pier The day of Sailing

naples1

I spoke with Carnival today about booking a last minute cruise for this weekend. She informed me that everything is sold out, however she said that we could go to the pier and see if there are any cancellations once they start boarding in the morning. She said it IS still possible to do this and she gave me the number to the pier to call in the morning. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I spoke with Carnival today about booking a last minute cruise for this weekend. She informed me that everything is sold out, however she said that we could go to the pier and see if there are any cancellations once they start boarding in the morning. She said it IS still possible to do this and she gave me the number to the pier to call in the morning. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've never done that but once I booked a cruise 2 days prior to sailing and there were plenty of cabins still available. If you live really close, why not take a chance? Maybe they'll give you a good discount - better to sell the cabin for something than than not having it occupied!

Laurie

I'm not sure that with current security precautions such a thing is possible, but if you're close to the port, what do you have to lose?

I thought the same thing, but I asked them and they gave me the number to the pier. They said that I would not be on the manifest but as long as we have the proper Id and can pay at the port, they can adjust the manifest. We'll see...

I thought the same thing, but I asked them and they gave me the number to the pier. They said that I would not be on the manifest but as long as we have the proper Id and can pay at the port, they can adjust the manifest. We'll see...

Well, that is news to me. Cool if you can actually do it. Why not, give it a try and please let us know.

I didn't think you could even get on the pier without cruise documents? I also thought the manifest had to be checked prior to the ship sailing by several hours. I'd be interested too in how you made out.

I am not sure what you whether what you were told is 100% accurate.

I'm not sure that with current security precautions such a thing is possible, but if you're close to the port, what do you have to lose?

I didn't think you could even get on the pier without cruise documents? I also thought the manifest had to be checked prior to the ship sailing by several hours. I'd be interested too in how you made out.

Many posters are under the impression that Cruise Ships & Airlines must report manifests 72 hrs prior to Departure to the Dept. of Homeland Security..And that is not so.. It's never been so but Homeland Security recently gave the Cruise Lines & Airlines more leeway in a rule which took effect in Feb...

Cruise Lines only have to transmit their Passenger & Crew Manifests 60 minutes prior to departure to CBP.....

Cruise Companies also have no problem with taking bookings at the poer..Each Cruise Line can make their own decision as to whether they will permit last minute pier bookings...In order to get into the port you need your passport & another form of ID & tell the officers that you are on a "Standby basis" for such & such..

Any Travel Agent can pull up the rule from the Dept. of Homeland Security - Federal Register Part II page 48320

This is the QUOTE:

For sea travel, CBP will require vessel carriers to transmit passenger and crew manifests for vessels departing from the United States no later than 60 minutes prior to departure. For vessels departing from foreign ports destined to arrive at a U.S. port, CBP is retaining the current requirement to transmit passenger and crew arrival manifest data at least 24 hours and up to 96 hours prior to the vessel’s entry at the U.S. port of arrival. UNQUOTE

Airlines have a different rule ...We've often stood by for International flights..Airlines must report their manifests no later than 30 minutes prior to securing aircraft doors..

If you want to pull up the rules you can try this URL:

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/apis/apis_pre_departure.ctt/apis_pre_departure.pdf

I would bet that Naples 1 is on a cruise right now..Hope they report back to us..

Cheers...:) Betty

We were driving up the Henry Hudson P'kway today on the way to see our son who live in NYC and there were 2 ships in port (Carnival and NCL). I actually asked my DH the same question about "hopping on a ship". We thought living so close to the pier it would be good to know.

So, I look forward to following this thread for the answer.:confused:

I spoke with the pier this morning. RCCl will not allow anyone to book at the pier less than 24 hours in advance. Carnival however will allow bookings at the pier. The cruises I were interested in just happened to be fully booked with no cancellations, otherwise they would have been glad to accept bookings at the pier..

I spoke with the pier this morning. RCCl will not allow anyone to book at the pier less than 24 hours in advance. Carnival however will allow bookings at the pier. The cruises I were interested in just happened to be fully booked with no cancellations, otherwise they would have been glad to accept bookings at the pier..

Bummer. Well, at least we learned something new. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

There is always the possibility of a no show at the pier, but you would probably have to wait until sail time to be sure, then you wouldn't have the 60 minute window.

As far as being able to get TO the pier without documentation--we've never been stopped or had anything checked prior to the porters! As far as I could tell--anyone can drive up--they just won't let you on the ship without some proof that you're sailing....at least, that's been my experience.

Yeah, they actually have a standby area. All you have to do is ask the people that are checking the paperwork and they will point you in the right direction. Also, the cruiseline will give you the direct number at the pier, so if you are close enough,within an hour away, you can call the morning of sailing to the terminal and find out if there is any availability and you can pay at the port. They just have to have their manifest transmitted by 60 minutes prior to sailing.

Yeah, they actually have a standby area. All you have to do is ask the people that are checking the paperwork and they will point you in the right direction. Also, the cruiseline will give you the direct number at the pier, so if you are close enough,within an hour away, you can call the morning of sailing to the terminal and find out if there is any availability and you can pay at the port. They just have to have their manifest transmitted by 60 minutes prior to sailing.

Have you ever done that? If so, what kind of break do they give you on the price of the cruise? I could do that out of Tampa if there's a big discount. :D

As far as being able to get TO the pier without documentation--we've never been stopped or had anything checked prior to the porters! As far as I could tell--anyone can drive up--they just won't let you on the ship without some proof that you're sailing....at least, that's been my experience.

In JAX, we had to show our docs before we were allowed thru security area before parking the car.....

It's also the same in Fort Lauderdale when driving to the port..

We did not have to show our docs in Ft Lauderdale, just ID and tell them what ship we were going to. In fact people pick up and drop off all the time with out docs. (Last time there was March 2008)

Archived