Vancouver ferry

Two Vancouver questions:

How necessary is it to pre-book ferry reservations to Victoria? We will be going to the gardens on Monday July 28.

Also, what is the reccommended mode of transport from the airport to Canada pier for a cruise embarkation?

Two Vancouver questions:

How necessary is it to pre-book ferry reservations to Victoria? We will be going to the gardens on Monday July 28.

Also, what is the reccommended mode of transport from the airport to Canada pier for a cruise embarkation?

I assume you are going over to Victoria via car?? I always pre-book ferry reservations, especially in the summer, especially on a Monday (or Friday).

I have waited in enough ferry line ups that I always reserve now.

I would grab a taxi from the airport to Canada Place.

Two Vancouver questions:

Monday morning will be busy, Monday afternoon, not so much. You may find it's actually cheaper to take an all-in bus from Vancouver->Buchardt Gardens->Vancouver, vs booking a ferry and taking the car both ways on the ferry (each way you're looking at about 75$ for car, 2 people + reservation)

As for airport to pier, there's an airport shuttle that will take you direct, called the 'Airporter'. http://www.yvrairporter.com is their website. I think it's something like $15/ea. Or grab a cab which should be in the $45 range.

If you want, there is pretty good direct city bus service, out of the airport on the 424 bus and transfer to the 98 B-line into downtown. $3.75/ea http://www.translink.bc.ca

Two Vancouver questions:

If you can be a walk-on for the ferry, you need no reservations. Look into taking a taxi from the airport (we took the city bus) to the ferry. Then have Enterprise "pick you up" at the Swartz Bay ferry terminal. Use your rental car on the island to go to the Gardens and any other venue that you choose.

Reverse the process when you return, taxi or city bus to downtown Vancouver (Canada Place).

We found it cost effective to do it this way and we were not tied to a definite time to be on the ferry as we had no vehicle. The vehicle waiting lines for the ferry were incredibly long. A reservation would be very useful if you have a car.

Note: our ferry had an onboard naturalist giving a short lecture and answering questions about the area. We found out about 1/2 way thru the transit, so missed the first portion of her presentation. (we were on the upper deck, she was on the main deck.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is and "all-in bus"?

We do have a rental car booked so where would be leave the car if we went on the ferry as walk-on? And how would we get to the gardens when we arrived on the other side?

Are there specific tour companies that go from Vancouver to Victoria for Buchardt? Do these tours include transportation over there?

In my opinion you would be better off to do an 'all-in' bus tour. You can buy one from a couple of the tours companies in Vancouver. They pick you up at the hotel....get you on the ferry...take you to the gardens...back to the ferry to Vancouver...then your hotel. It seems to me to be the most relaxing way to do it.

The ferry line ups are long in the summer...and even if you don't have any trouble getting on a sailing you will invariably get to experience the joy of sitting on the huge balck parking lot in the hot sun for a couple of hours waiting to load your sailing!!! Never has been my idea of fun!!!

The tour companies will give you a narrative of some kind on the bus as you travel to and from the gardens.

At the end of the day I don't know that it will cost you a lot more....but I do know it will make a much more pleasant trip!

I think Vancouver Tours has Butchart gardens excursion as does Land&Sea. You should be able to Google a website for them.

Have a great trip.

If your trip to Victoria is just a day visit then I would be very inclined to book a reservation particularly for going in the morning. You will be pressed for time to begin with and not to be able to catch the ferry you are planning on will just set you back. To me the $15 for the reservation is a "no brainer", it is just no fun to be left sitting in the parking lot.;)

http://www.bcferries.com/

YVR downtown I recommend the Limo service same place as taxi's only stay right. Cost a little more but is fixed rated.

I would also recommend an "ALL in bus" less headaches for you and they are always at the head of the line at the ferry.......

but if you do rent a vehicle obviously you have more flexibility and the online reservation system is a snap. I too have spent many an hour over the yrs on the black tarmac and it no longer is fun. Although I must say that the Ferry folks have made the wait much better with accommodations and tourista "Stuff" Just make sure you follow the timing rules.

How long of a ride is it from Vancouver airport to the ferry terminal. We land at 1PM, get our rental car and the ferry leaves at 3:15. Is that enough time? We are taking the ferry to Nanaimo? Also have 3 1/2 days on Vancouver Island. Any ideas?

It could be tight if your plane or customs delays you - the trip out to the ferry would only be perhaps 30 minutes at that time of day and you should be in the ferry lineup at least 30 minutes before sailing.

As for what to do - here's some suggestions - you will be unloading at Duke Point in Nanaimo around 5:15PM - are you planning on stopping there for the evening - if not I would suggest your head up Island towards Parksville and Campbell River - keep to the Oceanside route Highway 19A - there are many great places that you could stop.

Returning from Campbell River take the Inland route Highway 19 to the Port Alberni Turnoff - take this Highway into PA - stopping at MacMillan Park to see the old growth forest.

Return to Highway 19 and back through Nanaimo - just south of Nanaimo is Ladysmith and Chemainus and Crofton - this is a pleasant paved side road pass the world famous Murals etc - continue down Island to Duncan - here I am going to suggest something new - take the paved Highway into Lake Cowichan - this is the heart and soul of what's left of our forestry industry - at Lake Cowichan you will see signs for Port Renfrew - this use to be a mainline logging road that many would take as a short cut - it is my understanding that they have now paved this route all the way to Port Renfrew as it is being promoted as a good loop tour.

At Port Renfrew spend some time at Botanical Beach and then start the trip along the West Coast Road into the greater Victoria region.

There are a number of trailheads to the Juan de Fuca Marine trail on this road that provide fairly easy access to the ocean.

At Sooke - really the start of Greater Victoria detour about 3 miles to the Sooke Potholes Park.

Once you are in Victoria there are a number of things that you could do.

This trip can be done in the time frame if you want three fun filled packed days on Vancouver Island.

Others I am sure will provide some improvements to these ideas.

Check out http://www.hellobc.com web site which is the official web site for Tourism BC - click on the Vancouver Island region and then some of the towns that i have mentioned are there in the drop down menu.

This will get you started

Cheers

Dennis

What happens if you make a reservation on the ferry and you don't make it? Will it still be good for a later ferry ride? I know the reservation would not but the ticket?

Ni if you miss the ferry the reservation in void and not useful on a later ferry. Also you must be there before the 30 min cut off time. If the ferry leaves at 10 you must be there before 9:30 otherwise the reservation is voided but you still get charged for it.

A: For most routes including Vancouver-Vancouver Island and Gulf Island services (except Tsawwassen-Gulf Islands):

• If you're driving onto the ferry, plan to be at the terminal at least 30 minutes before the scheduled sailing time, and even earlier in our peak summer months or during normally busy periods. Walk-on passengers must buy their tickets at least ten minutes before the scheduled sailing time.
  • Reservations should be claimed at the ticket booth 45 to 60 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time. If you are not checked in 30 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time your reservation will no longer be valid and you will travel stand-by. Since the terminal may not have room to accommodate early arrivals during peak traffic periods we cannot accept reservations more than 6o minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time. The reservation fee for unclaimed reservations will not be refunded.

Archived