Heating Bottles

shaunyb33

Hi again,

Just thought of another potential issue, without having a microwave, how do parents heat bottles for kids??

We're thinking of taking our own cheapy kettle and using that to boil water and sit the bottle in that??

Any tips/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Also any other general tips for travelling with a 10 month old. This will be our 4th cruise but first with child!! Should be a challenge!! She better like cruising!! LOL

Shaun

If you plan far enough ahead you can "soak" the bottle in hot tap water from the sink to warm it up. It probably wont be as warm as you could get it using the kettle, but it will be warmer than room temperature.

I also would recommend you just get your LO to take bottles at room temp. The formula doesn't need to be warmed and if your baby will take it that way it will make your whole life a little easier. :)

If you really want to warm them on the ship though, there are bottle warmers you can buy. We bought one for home use until I decided I had enough of doing that several times a day and stopped warming ds bottles for him. If you're in a dining room, you could probably ask for a mug half filled w/hot water to rest the bottle in for a few minutes to warm it up. But like I said if you get your LO used to taking it at room temp you won't even have to worry about it.

hth

OK, our first child onboard a ship, I went out and bought a bottle warmer. Which I NEVER used. I just filled the ice bucket up with hot tap water and sat the bottle in it.

The 2nd child, I decided that warm bottles were not necessary. So I kept the bottles of water that I used room temp. Then just poured and shook. She never noticed the difference...lol.

Our method for warming bottles was shaking it under a stream of hot water for just about two minutes. It was always faster than sitting in warm water and also a more even (and safer) heating method than the microwave. Our kids were high maintenance and ALWAYS wanted their bottles warm!!! :rolleyes:

We fed our son breast milk from bottles (he never took to nursing so I pumped for the first year), so his bottles were mostly from the fridge. On our cruise on NCL we had a coffee maker in the room so we used that to make hot water, then we'd set the bottle in the hot water, just like we do at home. If we hadn't had that option, we would have ordered a pot of hot water from room service or used the hot water from the sink (which is usually pretty hot).

• 4 weeks later...

We also never warmed bottles. There is no health advantage and while it shouldn't be a problem on the ship, it's a real pain to do while travelling in general. You want to check in for your flight, ride in a car or visit somewhere and not have to search for a sink to run a bottle under hot water!

I used the bottles with disposable liners to make it easier to clean. I measured the powder ahead of time, rolled the liners up and put them in a ziplock. This way, I only had to add water and shake. You could do this for the entire trip, saving space in your luggage. Just sit and watch TV while doing it. I did this while I worked (two days away as a Flight Attendant) for the caregiver and my dh.

With these too, I also only had the ring and nipple to clean.

Check out my flying tips below for more information on flying and travelling with bottles. It's non-commercial.

Make your cruise go more smoothly by simply giving room-temperature bottles, especially at 10 months...

Really...we just used the hot tap water from the sink. It does get fairly hot, so it does heat. And, truth be told, a hungry child really doesnt care if the breast milk or formula is "warm"....they just want to eat....

OK, our first child onboard a ship, I went out and bought a bottle warmer. Which I NEVER used. I just filled the ice bucket up with hot tap water and sat the bottle in it.

The 2nd child, I decided that warm bottles were not necessary. So I kept the bottles of water that I used room temp. Then just poured and shook. She never noticed the difference...lol.

We did the same. We brought the bottle warmer and never used it we just used the sink hot water. Then one day, I decided to try a room temp bottle and low and behold she drank it just the same so from that point on we never warmed them again. Now I know better for #2 :)

Julie

When out and about I would always get a large coffee cup and have it filled 1/2 with hot tea water and dunk the bottle in.

Target sells a First Years bottle warmer that is small and is only about $15 (and it shuts off automatically), I had good luck with it, but by 10 months I had DD drinking bottles at room temp, it makes the day go much easier!

Well, my babies got their bottles right from the fridge, on advice of my pediatrician years ago, who said bottle-warming is mostly to make Mom's feel good; babies don't care. Mine got along just fine, and it made life much easier.

Of course, if they are used to warm bottles it's different--they may put up a fuss at cold ones. It wouldn't hurt to try gradually weaning them to room-temp. or cold bottles, especially at 10 months.

Otherwise, I'd just warm it in the sink, as others have suggested. You're going to be bringing enough other paraphenalia along for the baby without adding a bottle-warmer.

Archived