Fire drill?

Hi,

I read on one of the other boards that cruise lines all do a fire drill as soon as they set sail. Is that the case on Pacific Sun?

I also have another query. Do you keep your passport on you or do you hand it in when you board? Do you have to carry it when you go ashore?

I would appreciate any help with this.

Hi

I've been on 9 cruises and I've never had a 'fire drill'. But what you do have can probably be called 'lifeboat drill'. The passengers are assigned to a muster station and that's where your muster drill is held. You take your life jacket with you and learn what to do in an emergency. It takes about 20 mins and is compulsory under the rules of Australian maritime law.

You don't hand your passport in to anyone, but keep in the safe in your cabin. You are not required to take it ashore anywhere, but several ports offer stamping of your passport so you may wish to take it ashore for souvenir reasons.

Happy cruising.

jenny

You don't hand your passport in to anyone, but keep in the safe in your cabin. You are not required to take it ashore anywhere, but several ports offer stamping of your passport so you may wish to take it ashore for souvenir reasons.

Happy cruising.

jenny

Hi Jenny,

Going ashore in Noumea requires that you carry your passport. At all other times we kept ours in the room safe.

Hi,

I read on one of the other boards that cruise lines all do a fire drill as soon as they set sail.

I would appreciate any help with this.

To add to Jenny's (megagirl) comments, the lifeboat drill is held before the ship departs.

Hi Jenny,

Going ashore in Noumea requires that you carry your passport. At all other times we kept ours in the room safe.

Wish i'd known that when we were there, hope we don't get into any trouble for leaving ours in our cabin safe...:D

Don

Wish i'd known that when we were there, hope we don't get into any trouble for leaving ours in our cabin safe...:D

Don

Hi Don,

I am pretty sure we were told to take 'photo ID'. A lot of guys have their driver's licence in their wallet anyway. :):)

From the Pacific Daily, September 10 2007;

"The Port Officials in Noumea requst that all passengers going ashore are to take with them their passports for identification purposes".

From my understanding it's New Caledonian/French law that foreigners carry their passports/identification at all times.

At the non-island ports in other countries (eg Port Vila, Suva, etc) I always take my passport ashore with me, just in case. I don't worry at the Islands though, unless I know I can get it stamped.

"The Port Officials in Noumea requst that all passengers going ashore are to take with them their passports for identification purposes".

From my understanding it's New Caledonian/French law that foreigners carry their passports/identification at all times.

At the non-island ports in other countries (eg Port Vila, Suva, etc) I always take my passport ashore with me, just in case. I don't worry at the Islands though, unless I know I can get it stamped.

Yes, we had that info in our pre-cruise info, the onboard Noumea fact sheet and the daily patter.

Maybe things have changed. The Pacific Daily's have the following entries:

10th September, 2007 - (As you say it says to take the passport)

25th February, 2008 - "Please ensure that you also have a Govrnment issued picture ID with you before leavin the ship, as you may be required to show this at security checkpoints upon your return."

23re April, 2008 - same as February.

On PD - W818 - passports were held by the ship until after French Polynesia. They were then returned.

We were advised that the authorities require to see them in New Caledonia & French Polynesia & to carry photo ID or copy of Passport when going ashore.

It is my understanding from the cruises i have been on that only a certin number of random passengers are required to hand in their passports at these ports ,I have never beed selected to hand in mine

Icy

Hi Icy,

I think that is correct. On our cruise last December we were asked to hand in our passports, and our friends in the next cabin were not. :):)

Yes, our friends were asked to hand their passports in and we were not. And they were told they only needed to take photo ID with them when going ashore, as were we.

They were told that the ship selects a certain amount to satisfy port authorities otherwise it would take ages to check them all.

Glenda

Yes, our friends were asked to hand their passports in and we were not. And they were told they only needed to take photo ID with them when going ashore, as were we.

They were told that the ship selects a certain amount to satisfy port authorities otherwise it would take ages to check them all.

Glenda

We did wonder why we selected! :D:D:D The letter we got would have been the same as Glenda's friends. It said it was a random selection.

We did wonder why we selected! :D:D:D The letter we got would have been the same as Glenda's friends. It said it was a random selection.

Yes Evon, sounds like you got the same letter.

They had a letter slipped under the door telling them it was a random selection and asking them to hand in their passport prior to arrival into the first port.:D

Yes Evon, sounds like you got the same letter.

They had a letter slipped under the door telling them it was a random selection and asking them to hand in their passport prior to arrival into the first port.:D

We were told it was a % of each nationality. Martin went 3 visits in a row to Noumea having his (NZ) passport checked - he had to give it to the purser the day before and collected once we had docked in Noumea and the customs officials had checked it. I had mine checked one of those three times.

We were told it was a % of each nationality. Martin went 3 visits in a row to Noumea having his (NZ) passport checked - he had to give it to the purser the day before and collected once we had docked in Noumea and the customs officials had checked it. I had mine checked one of those three times.

It is interesting you say that, as our friends that had to hand in their passport are both German.

Glenda

Hi Jarrod,

What is involved in the muster drill, please. It is referred to in the newbie hints and tips but no details are given.

At a time that will be announced (usually just before sailaway), passengers are asked to go to their cabins and collect their lifejackets. Do not put it on. On the back of the cabin door a placard will show you your Muster Station. When you hear seven (I think it is seven) blasts on the ship's hooter, proceed to the Muster Station. Carry your lifejacket, taking care the straps do not dangle on the floor for someone to trip over. Crew members wearing caps marked 'Guide' will direct you if you are not sure where your Muster station is. Once there find a seat if you can. Staff will give you the information on what to do in an emergency, and then demonstrate putting on the lifejacket. Everyone is then asked to stand and put on their jackets. Then take the jackets back to your cabin before going up top for sailaway.:):)

Archived