Cell Phones and Internet service on the QM2 on an Atlantic crossing

racinglawyer

Question. Does anyone have any experience with the sucessful use of an International Cell phone during an Atlantic crossing on the QM2?

In line with that is there any WI FI Zones on ship? Can you use your personal computer and how did you get internet service?

The election will be conducted while we are crossing the Atlantic during the first week of November. I would like to be in touch with some people and would like to know how and what method people use on the QM2 in the MIddle of the Atlantic to keep in touch with land People.

Thanks Mike

I take it you do mean an International Cell phone and not a satelite phone? In that case I'm afraid you're out of luck. You'll pretty much loose the signal when you loose sight of land.

Better news on the internet front though. Most of the public rooms are set up for Wi-Fi, or you could use the data socket in your cabin. There will be a ConneXions leaflet in your cabin and a notebook connection class, probably on the first morning.

Internet access is charged (as of April 2004) at 50c/min or in packages from 1/2 hour($13.50) to 32 hours($479.95).

If you don't 'need' your own laptop you could use one of the ones in the Cyber Centre or Library.

But remember. part of the attraction of being in the middle of the Atlantic is being out of touch with land people.

Regards, Colin.

Yes, I couldn't agree more with Colin....one of the many wonderful things about a transatlantic crossing is being out at sea away from "the real world"....as far as I'm concerned being aboard a Cunard liner out in the middle of the Atlantic -at that moment in time- IS the center of the world/universe !!!

Tom:)

Hi,

As you are going from Southampton to NYC, if you have an Intl. phone, you will get service all the way out the channel, past the Isle of Wight and depending on how good your signal as you are sailing along the coast of England. You will then lose it. I had my US cell phone with me and I received a signal (when I was on my balcony) at about 7:00PM the night before we docked (I guess we were off the MASS/RI/NY coast.

I did not bring my laptop but there were a lot of people with theirs in various lounges using the wi fi. I used the many computers thru out the ship to acccess the internet and do email. It was no problems. You still have to purchase a "package" of minutes whether it is Wi Fi or using the QM2 computers.

Bon voyage

Thanks for the information on the cell phones and the WI FI on the QM2. Everyone told me to cool my jets on the crossing, so I'm not taking a cell phone, but I am taking my computer.

My wife are Ballroom dancers, so I'll just do more dancing on this trip. Everyone told me the Dancing is terrific on the Cruise.

Thanks Again everyone.

Racinglawyer

• 2 years later...

Well,

We've had that discussion here before.

As a cellular technician who works for the company that is installing the land based portion of this, no, I can tell you that right now, there are no plans to put it on Cunard ships.

WMS is the company that actually puts the PBX and cellular wiring on board. It is still powered by satellite to get back to land.

http://www.cellularatsea.com/technology.htm

It is possible to rent a satellite phone or use the ship's. They are expensive. But unless you have someone at home you are worried about, or that is the only way you can get away from work to go on a voyage, enjoy the ship. Leave the world behind!

We go to Key West every November and usually return on election day. I make it a point deliberately NOT to pick up a newspaper or watch a TV (which I don't watch anyway!) for that week. It is so refreshing and less stressful. We vote by absentee ballot before we go.

We're still going to elect idiots of one party or the other, and they will still promise the world, the moon and stars and give us nothing but grief. And they will still waste our money profligately on stuff their political cronies and campaign contributors desperately want to fill their coffers. And You and I will remain voiceless.

RL, Spend your time dancing. Bring your phone so you can use it when you get off the ship... to call a txi or what-have you.

England uses more 1800MHz than 900 MHz, if you only have a tri-band (US) phone, but Quad band will get your well set. Make sure it is a GSM phone (The standard in Europe) and make sure you ask your carrier to add both international calling and international roaming, The reason you need international calling (from the US to Europe) is because calls are delivered to you over there (or even in the US) via a temporary local (to where you are) number associated with your phone for the minute or so it takes to deliver it. Your home switch routes the incoming call to this temporary delivery number (all done through magic, and messages which go on "under" the call) If your phone number cannot make international calls it can't deliver them to you while you are in England.

BTW, You will get a daily newspaper which is printed up on the ship from land based papers faxed to the ship. It will give you the highlights of what is going on- You choose your version- US or whatever. It's all you need to know. If your guy loses, you'll be miserable! And there's plenty of time for that for the next 2 or four or six years, depending on the race.

Are you related to the other competitive ballroom dancers from Wallingford CT headed there for a competition? (Well, or going to the same one!)

You will find plenty of places to use your laptop with wireless, and you can save money that way, by composing your emails off line, then going online just to send them. Otherwise, you are paying hefty fees while composing them, plus there is no access to the ships computers drives or USB ports, so you can't attach a picture or other file.

P.S. How do you race a lawyer?

Karie,

who is blissfully ignorant while on board and her partner Marc who goes online to download podcasts to his MP3 player (ugh!)

Archived