a baby in the swimming pool?

We just got off the Westerdam yesterday with our 13 month old. I brought along a swim diaper that is actaully plastic pants covered by fabric with elestaic legs by Spedo. We took our daughter into the pool on Saturday afternoon and had no problems.... In fact' date=' many comments by staff and patrons on how cute she was.... As for all the people who are againist swim diapers, do you think all those kids get out and use the bathroom, I guarntee over half of them pee in the pool............ And this shocks you!!!![/quote']

And I think you owe all your fellow cruisers an apology for totally disregarding the rules and potentially putting their enjoyment of their cruise in jeopardy. It doesn't matter how "cute" you and everyone else thought your daughter was.......you were knowingly breaking the rules. Personally, I think one way of dealing with parents like you is charging them the cost of the cleanup! After all, who put the diapered little one in the pool against the rules to begin with?

And I think you owe all your fellow cruisers an apology for totally disregarding the rules and potentially putting their enjoyment of their cruise in jeopardy. It doesn't matter how "cute" you and everyone else thought your daughter was.......you were knowingly breaking the rules. Personally, I think one way of dealing with parents like you is charging them the cost of the cleanup! After all, who put the diapered little one in the pool against the rules to begin with?

Well stated! I agree 100%!

Perhaps Kate's Mom didn't notice the rules sign and therefore didn't realize she was breaking the rule. Now she knows not to take little Katie into the pool, so let's give her a break. ;)

Actually, she asked about HAL's rules back in April. I'm not here to bag on Kate's Mom, but rules are rules especially when you're talking about this particular issue. I have a daughter who used to lifeguard, and let me tell you, there can be a lot of problems when pools/hot tubs are contaminated with fecal matter.

Maybe I need to get a life...and not worry about these posts...I don't know, but I just don't get it when people do things that are clearly forbidden...and especially when you're talking about something that could cause serious illness in others.

April 18th, 2008, 08:04 PM

Cool Cruiser

Just a question.... I know ladies had mentioned no swim diapers in the pools but I am wondering if you ladies are talking about disaposable swim diapers. I have a cloth swim diaper that is lined like rubber pants so do you think we can get away with that on the Westerdam????? If not, back up plan is to bring the blow up duck bath tub and let our 1 year old camp out there well she watched her cosuins play in the pool... Thanks in advance!!!!!

And here's what the response was.

April 19th, 2008, 12:11 AM

Suggest you bring the pool ... as HAL's policy is no diapers and no swimmies in the pool. I don't think they distinguish disposable from launderable, as both types still are diapers.

I have to jump in here as well! I think that is ridiculous and NOT cute! We have 2 wonderfully potty trained kids and we waited until they were to begin cruising-

This is disgusting that she would think it is ok to break the rules.

Not good in my book at all and I probally would have said something if I was on that ship with her.

twinkletoes4445 - Thank you for the heads up! :o I am always the defended, but when it comes to someone knowingly going against the rules, I have no sympathy for them. :rolleyes:

A few years ago, on a cruise back from Hawaii (the Serenade) our pool was closed the very last day at sea, because there was a fecal accident in the main pool. I saw it!!! :eek: This was before I decided that I would never swim in a ship's pool. That did it for me, and ever since (except for the T-spa pool) I have stayed clear of outdoor pools.

twinkletoes4445 - Thank you for the heads up! :o I am always the defended, but when it comes to someone knowingly going against the rules, I have no sympathy for them. :rolleyes:

A few years ago, on a cruise back from Hawaii (the Serenade) our pool was closed the very last day at sea, because there was a fecal accident in the main pool. I saw it!!! :eek: This was before I decided that I would never swim in a ship's pool. That did it for me, and ever since (except for the T-spa pool) I have stayed clear of outdoor pools.

I almost didn't stick my nose in and post the info, but I just find this whole issue nasty. And it is possible that some people wouldn't know...and it's nice that you're willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I really don't recall if there's a sign posted at the pool areas or not. I've never looked since we would never get in the water.

We had a neighboring town that had a huge problem with e coli and it was closed for most of the season. This happens, but the difference to me is that at least if a pool is contaminated at home, at least you can seek medical attention in a hospital. Can you imagine getting sick with e coli on a cruise ship? You either have to be treated by the ship doctor, and if it's severe enough, you'd need to be hospitalized. Not all places we've cruised to have hospital facilities.

It's just a nasty thing, and there's nothing right about putting a kid in diapers (of any kind) in a pool/hot tub.

I don't blame you for not using public pools (after what you saw!!!). We don't step foot in them either. After listening to the stories my daughter told (from her life guarding days)...there's no way I'd get in a public pool of any sort. But that doesn't mean others won't, so precautions at least need to be followed.

How can it ever be cute to put other people at risk of illness? To selfishly participate in an activity that has good potential for harming others is beyond reproach IMO

I know that people don't intentionally mean to do harm, but sometimes they don't see the consequences of their actions .

It reminds me of a story that I read about the actress Gene Tierney. During the 1940's she contracted German Measles while pregnant and her child was born with severe, permanent disabilites. Many years later, while at a public appearance, a woman came up to her and told her that she had always been a big fan and was glad to meet her again. She then told her about how, during WWII, she was in the military and confined to a base hospital with German Measles, but *snuck out* and went to the USO canteen because Ms. Tierney was there and she'd always wanted to meet her....

I know that this is not on the level of diapers in the pool/hot tub, but if someone who unknowingly has a compromised immune system is exposed to fecal contaminents in the water, the consequences could be tragic.

Our actions frequently do have consequences that we never dream of....

I was forcibly removed from the pool on my last cruise, just because I had to tinkle and didn't want go all the way to the men's room, so I went in the pool. Geez! They made a big deal of it!

Maybe if I hadn't been on the diving board at the time..... ?

I know that people don't intentionally mean to do harm, but sometimes they don't see the consequences of their actions .

It reminds me of a story that I read about the actress Gene Tierney. During the 1940's she contracted German Measles while pregnant and her child was born with severe, permanent disabilites. Many years later, while at a public appearance, a woman came up to her and told her that she had always been a big fan and was glad to meet her again. She then told her about how, during WWII, she was in the military and confined to a base hospital with German Measles, but *snuck out* and went to the USO canteen because Ms. Tierney was there and she'd always wanted to meet her....

I know that this is not on the level of diapers in the pool/hot tub, but if someone who unknowingly has a compromised immune system is exposed to fecal contaminents in the water, the consequences could be tragic.

Our actions frequently do have consequences that we never dream of....

I remember hearing that story and it brought chills. Kind of like the passengers that will do anything to take their cruise. This includes arriving with a full blown case of the flu, or thinking they might be having heart problems but, the get on the ship anyway. Then one day later, the ship has to skip a port so that that passenger can be flown off the ship. :eek:

I remember hearing that story and it brought chills. Kind of like the passengers that will do anything to take their cruise. This includes arriving with a full blown case of the flu, or thinking they might be having heart problems but, the get on the ship anyway. Then one day later, the ship has to skip a port so that that passenger can be flown off the ship. :eek:

This is getting a bit harsh IMO

I have heart problems. I shouldn't sail Just In Case my heart problems 'act up' from out of nowhere? Do you actually know people who can predict when they might have a heart attack? :eek: I sure wish I had the peace of mind to know when I should seek help in advance of a potential heart attack coming. They seem to surprise most folks. No one I know could have predicted the week or month or year they would have a heart attack. So, they should not sail rather than risk the potential someone might miss a port??

Boarding with full blown flu or norovirus or such is one thing but what about ulcers? or Gallbladder? or --------- (fill in the blank).

Sorry.... I know this is off topic but caught my attention.

Hopefully, we and all our fellow cruisers will stay healthy on ships and cause no one inconvenience or worse.

Boarding with full blown flu or norovirus or such is one thing but what about ulcers? or Gallbladder? or --------- (fill in the blank).

I understand your point ... and I feel it would be heartless and selfish for any passenger to mourn missing a port call when doing so actually would save the life of a fellow human being. However, boarding with some type of known contagion similarly is ignorant and deplorable.

When all the cruise lines are constantly reminding passengers to consistently wash their hands after using the restroom, due to the spread of norovirus, how on earth could anyone think it is okay to take a diapered child into a pool or hot tub??? Some people are just amazing. I have also seen a mother take her diapered child out of the main pool and proceed to change his dirty (fecal) diaper on a lounge chair. When another passenger complained to an employee near the pool, he commented that he would get in trouble for approaching the woman. I reported the incident to the Front Desk and received the usual blah, blah, blah. Why bother with all the hoopla on washing hands on board, and yet not enforce the prohibition of diapers in pools and hot tubs??

I understand your point ... and I feel it would be heartless and selfish for any passenger to mourn missing a port call when doing so actually would save the life of a fellow human being. However, boarding with some type of known contagion similarly is ignorant and deplorable.

I think you may have missed this sentence in my previous post...... ???

I think you may have missed this sentence in my previous post...... ???

I apologize for the confusion. I read and understood and agree with your post ... but I neglected to cite and refute the bold (mine) portion of post #88 above.

Poor "Kansaslittleone", I think she has her answer by now. Probably enough said.

She has her answer, although she doesn't think too much of this rule (it's the same "stupid" one her grandparents have at their pool), but at least she says she'll follow it...and if she doesn't, it seems we'll have something else to talk about (she says her grandparents will kill her). Just kidding. ;)

It would be nice if she'd read these posts and give some thought as to why HAL has this rule. It's certainly not to make her life miserable or diminish her enjoyment of her vacation.

Yesterday, 02:40 AM

Cool Cruiser

I admit, I don't like the rule, don't agree with the rule, yada, yada, yada...but I still follow them as I need to. My grandparents who took us this time and again next spring would kill me if I didn't follow this rule (after all it's one of their condo's stupid pool rules too). So we'll suffice for now and have to figure out how to make the dress code work with an inflatable pool in the main dining room...guess that's another post!

I have heart problems. I shouldn't sail Just In Case my heart problems 'act up' from out of nowhere? Do you actually know people who can predict when they might have a heart attack? :eek: I sure wish I had the peace of mind to know when I should seek help in advance of a potential heart attack coming. They seem to surprise most folks. No one I know could have predicted the week or month or year they would have a heart attack. So, they should not sail rather than risk the potential someone might miss a port??

Sorry.... I know this is off topic but caught my attention.

Hopefully, we and all our fellow cruisers will stay healthy on ships and cause no one inconvenience or worse.

:( sail7seas - You have misunderstood my thread. I just assumed some of you would know what I was referring to. It's about a Cruise Critic thread a year or two ago, that involved a health incident.

The poster of that thread, was a new member that had logged on to ask for advice because of a medical bills from the cruiseline, a hospital and the coastguard (or some rescue outfit). I don't remember what cruise board the thread was on, but do remember it getting heated. The poster had been on a cruise with her gentleman friend and he became really ill. He admitted that he had been having chest pains for a couple of days (before the cruise), but didn't say anything because he didn't want to ruin their vacation. :eek: As it turned out, he had to be airlifted off the ship and this caused a ruckus with other passengers because they missed a port (BTW - I would never be angry and upset if this happened on a cruise of mine). Some were even CC members and posted their frustration on the board, about missing the port. :rolleyes: As it turned out, the poor man ended up dying in that hospital. :(

I would certainly never expect a "well" heart patient to sit at home all the time. I too have heart problems (A-Fib and MVP) and two of my three children have heart problems. ;)

Thanks, Sea Island Lady. I did misunderstand your post.

Now that you relate the story, I have a vague memory of it. I certainly had no recall of it earlier today but you 'jogged' my memory.

Wishing you and your children.... Stay Well. :)

I have heart problems. I shouldn't sail Just In Case my heart problems 'act up' from out of nowhere?

I'd be willing to bet that on any given cruise ... especially the longer ones ... probably 75%, if not more, of the passengers have serious health issues. They cruise anyway ... and why shouldn't they? If I'm really sick, now is the time to enjoy myself cause I never know when the end could come.

Now as for infectious diseases like Noro or the flu ... I can tell you why people will get on the ship with it ... regardless of the rights of their fellow passengers. Because if they admit to having a problem ... stomach upset in the last couple of days, flu symptoms, etc., they are going to be denied boarding and will lose the money for their cruise. And, not only will the "ill" person by denied boarding, but probably everyone in his party as well. Now can you imagine causing the entire family to blow their cruise because maybe one person admits to Noro symptoms. Let's say it's one of my teenaged children and he's had a stomach upset for the past two days. He admits to it and now thanks to him the whole party is told they can't board. I don't even believe it's Noro, but rather something he ate at a trip to the amusement park a few days ago.

But he admits to feeling sick. Now maybe there are something like 15 people in our group ... it's a family reunion cruise. So now I've got 13 people who are really, really angry with me and my child. I'm responsible for them not being able to take their cruise. So that means I have to put everyone up in a hotel at my own expense, get everyone's airline reservations changed to get them home, reimburse everyone for what they paid for the cruise ... have a lot of people mad at me because they blew a week of their vacation time. I'm gonna be out some major, major bucks. I'm gonna kill my child for opening his/her big mouth! In fact, I'm gonna tell him ahead of time. Just keep your mouth shut and get on the ship!

You'd better believe that most people are not gonna admit to those symptoms ... and you know what? I don't blame them. Until the cruise lines come up with some sort of a policy for this ... some policy that will lessen the financial burden if someone in the party gets ill ... you're always gonna have this problem and the best way to handle it is to actually assume some people are gonna be sick onboard and to protect yourself from them. Do lots of hand washing onboard and stay out of the buffets and the swimming pools.

Just my humble opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

As it turned out, he had to be airlifted off the ship and this caused a ruckus with other passengers because they missed a port ...

I don't know if this was the same cruise, but if I'm not mistaken I remember reading a thread about a Hawaii sailing where they had to turn back two days out to get the patient close enough to shore to be airlifted off the ship. Then by the time they headed back to the islands, they were only able to make something like two of the normally scheduled ports, instead of the full five, because of all the time they lost turning back to get medical care for the patient. A lot of people on the cruise were furious because they couldn't understand why the ship couldn't have just continued on to Hawaii and dropped the patient off there. They felt that maybe the cruise line took the patient back to the mainland to make things easier on him and his family ... and the heck with everyone else on the ship. As it was, that particular sailing wound up being a cruise comprised of 13 sea days and two ports ... and passengers weren't at all happy about it ... not for the money they paid for that cruise. Most wanted a "redo" cruise gratis and in some respects you can't blame them. I can't recall how things were settled but I know a group of passengers were planning a law suit over it. Can't recall if this was HAL or another cruise line.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thank you sail7seas. You too!!! :)

You'd better believe that most people are not gonna admit to those symptoms ... and you know what? I don't blame them. Until the cruise lines come up with some sort of a policy for this ... some policy that will lessen the financial burden if someone in the party gets ill ... you're always gonna have this problem and the best way to handle it is to actually assume some people are gonna be sick onboard and to protect yourself from them. Do lots of hand washing onboard and stay out of the buffets and the swimming pools.

Just my humble opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

LOL It's called a travel insurance policy. I never sail without one. ;)

The above mentioned cruise was not the one I was talking about, however I do remember that thread as well. :eek:

Archived