AA to charge to gate-check ...

pms4104

Just announced on CNN ... American Airlines plans to police and enforce the carryon policy, and to charge $15 to gate-check any oversize carryons. Tho not stated on CNN, I would imagine that will also apply to carryons that exceed the allowable quantity.

Oh, what a fine mess this is. Here's the AA checked bag policy:

"Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after June 15, 2008, will be charged $15 each way for the first checked bag and $25 each way for the second checked bag."

So the pax who try to game the system to avoid a $25 charge for their second bag will attempt to carry it on the plane, willing to gate check it for a $15 charge. All of which will create more delays in boarding -- a better plan would have been to just charge $25 for gate checking an oversize bag. That would more effectively modify the behavior towards checking the bag at the counter in the first place.

I don't see this as much of an issue as the pre-TSA screeners at all the airports I've traveled through lately have tightly enforced the carry on regulations.

These people regularly send people back to check bags that are too large or too many.

This game is not going to change. People are getting used to the new rules. I've actually seen much less carry on baggage on recent flights than before the new rules went in.

American has to say they will charge for gate checking bags to keep people in line on the rules. Other airlines such as Delta are charging now for gate checked bags and do not accept cash.

Know your airline's rules.

to American's new carryon fee:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080630/BUSINESS/806300308

It's not yet on AA's website ... but it's sure to be there soon.

I believe other carriers will follow suit, as passengers paying to check bags would be absolutely irate to see fellow travelers do a gate check for free.

Yippee!!!! It's about time!!!!

Thank goodness, AA is stepping up to the plate. But I do believe it will cause problems IF a pax has already checked one bag at $15.00 and then gets to gate check a second one for $15.00, instead of $25.00. Probably won't happen often, but it could cause some problems.

Yippee!!!! It's about time!!!!

Thank goodness, AA is stepping up to the plate. But I do believe it will cause problems IF a pax has already checked one bag at $15.00 and then gets to gate check a second one for $15.00, instead of $25.00. Probably won't happen often, but it could cause some problems.

Agreed that $15 may/may not be appropriate, particularly if one already has checked at least one bag. Think about the people who have checked two bags and now gate check the third for only $15 ... at a time when AA's fee is $100 each for checked bag #3, #4, and #5. It's gonna get ugly ... but it's about time!

I think they will look at the PNR and see how many bags are already checked. That $15 will (IMO) go up if you already have bags checked....will be $15 only if you have nothing in the hold already.

Too bad they don't toss a "penalty" fee on as well to discourage the cheaters.

I wonder how this will apply to regional jets. They do not have the overhead capacity that the larger jets have. I have to check my wheelie carryon at the gangway and pick it up there at the end of the flight. Will they be charging for this too?

I wonder how this will apply to regional jets. They do not have the overhead capacity that the larger jets have. I have to check my wheelie carryon at the gangway and pick it up there at the end of the flight. Will they be charging for this too?

From what I understand of AA's policy, the fee to gate check will ONLY apply to oversized bags (or if you have exceeded the carryon limits). It will not to apply to people whose carry ons meet the limits but for whatever reason have to be gate checked (eg. lack of overhead space, etc). So those of us who have to fly regional jets won't be penalized because AA doesn't fly mainline jets out of our airport.

The people this is designed to catch are the people who think they can get around the checked bag fees by taking everything with them to the gate on the expectation it will have to be gate checked.

From what I understand of AA's policy, the fee to gate check will ONLY apply to oversized bags (or if you have exceeded the carryon limits). It will not to apply to people whose carry ons meet the limits but for whatever reason have to be gate checked (eg. lack of overhead space, etc). So those of us who have to fly regional jets won't be penalized because AA doesn't fly mainline jets out of our airport.

The people this is designed to catch are the people who think they can get around the checked bag fees by taking everything with them to the gate on the expectation it will have to be gate checked.

Thanks for the info. Glad I will not have to pay on my occasional AA flights. They only fly regional jets to/from our local airport.

And for those individuals, I believe the gate-check fee should be way higher than $15, something like $50 might do ... call it poetic justice or an inconvenience add-on to the fee.

Oh--finally some justice for those of us who carry our ONE luggage-carry on pefect size and ONE purse/backpack etc and find others hogging all the room with their 2 and 3 bigger bags,backpacks, suit holders etc STUFF everything in the bins. FINALLY they will enforce the rule! It is about time! Don't know why they were so slack up till now! THIS part of travel will be much nicer! Well except for those who will cry bloody foul!:rolleyes:

My son is a professional (young) musician who always gate-checks his instrument. Although we're more than willing to pay the appropriate baggage fee for checking the instrument, we are NOT willing to subject the instrument to the usual counter-checking and subsequent baggage (mis)handling. There's simply too much at stake. So not everyone who plans to gate-check a bag is intending to scam the system or inconvenience others.

cdrcruisin, please be aware that even if you gate check that instrument, it is very likely to get tossed around on the tarmac by the baggage handlers. I too travel with an instrument, and I will buy an extra seat for it before it does not go into the cabin with me.

I agree, it's about time this policy was enforced. I too follow the rules about carryon luggage and it's just not fair that other people are allowed to bring on a larger size bag plus a duffle bag and a backpack. I've seen this so many times.

Archived