Cashing in Worldpoints for OBC?

Hypo

My husband called the credit card and told them how many points he wanted to cash in and for what. Within a week or two we received a confirmation in the mail with an order number. I called the captains club and gave them the information on the confirmation sheet.

If I remember correctly, the OBC from them did not show up right away last year. It was not until the second or third day, but I did bring all the information with me in case there was a problem.

I did mine right online through Bank of America. I followed the prompts to redeem my rewards. The only caveat was I thought it would ask for a booking number and automatically apply it to our sailing. It wasn't until I got done that it said I would receive confirmation to give my TA within 2 weeks. We were sailing before that time. And apparently it's good for only 6 months. I had to call and get it extended and my TA has applied it to our next Celebrity cruise. Next time I'll know to allow enough time to receive it.

Thanks for the reply. It appears to be handled differently than what they do with the RCCL credit card. For RCCL cards, you call them, they send you a certificate, you fill it out and send it to RCCL in Wichita, KS.

Thanks again,

Hypo

You can order the OBCs online through your credit card's website. Find the place where you click to select "Redeem Your Worldpoints". When this window opens, make sure you choose the "Merchandise" redemption - not travel, cash or gift cards. After selecting "merchandise" you will see the choices for Celebrity certificates - I believe they are in increments of $50, i.e., $50 OBC will cost 5000 worldpoints; $100 OBC will cost 10,000 worldpoints, etc.

After making your selections and placing your order online, you will receive a letter in the mail from Worldpoints that features your order number. This order number is important - you will need it when you call Captain's Club to have your OBC posted to your reservation.

Note that - as martodd mentioned - it will take two to three days after you have boarded your ship before you see the OBC credited to your shipboard account.

You can order the OBCs online through your credit card's website. Find the place where you click to select "Redeem Your Worldpoints". When this window opens, make sure you choose the "Merchandise" redemption - not travel, cash or gift cards. After selecting "merchandise" you will see the choices for Celebrity certificates - I believe they are in increments of $50, i.e., $50 OBC will cost 5000 worldpoints; $100 OBC will cost 10,000 worldpoints, etc.

After making your selections and placing your order online, you will receive a letter in the mail from Worldpoints that features your order number. This order number is important - you will need it when you call Captain's Club to have your OBC posted to your reservation.

Note that - as martodd mentioned - it will take two to three days after you have boarded your ship before you see the OBC credited to your shipboard account.

You're right about chosing the option "Merchandise".

The B.of A. Worldpoint number is: 1-800-434-8313 Option #3.

I have them walk me through the process...I choose the amount of certificates I need (in increments of $5000), and I receive the confirmation numbers. I then call Captain's Club, and have them applied.

It's been pretty easy in the past.

I have done it strictly on the telephone, received an email back with my confirmation #, and they took my booking # so it showed up without any problem on board. I did not have to wait for a certificate in the mail, nor mail anything to the captain's club. Bank of America did it for me on the phone. This comes in handy when your cruise is not too far off.

I have done it strictly on the telephone, received an email back with my confirmation #, and they took my booking # so it showed up without any problem on board. I did not have to wait for a certificate in the mail, nor mail anything to the captain's club. Bank of America did it for me on the phone. This comes in handy when your cruise is not too far off.

It sounds like they've gotten their act together. Back when I did this and realized I wouldn't get the certificate in time for our cruise, I tried calling BOA and they were useless. They said they never even heard of the program. They shifted me over to Celebrity, who then sent me back to BOA. I finally got someone who agreed to extend the life of the certificate (apparently they are good for only 6 months after issuance and our next cruise wasn't coming up for 9 months).

Okay now you guys have me worried. :eek: I called to book our cruise through worldpoints and received my confirmation through Carlson travel (tripforce.com) I was told that when I made my final payment my $500 credit for the cruise would show then. This was in March and the points were immediately taken from my credit card acct. I also used points for OBC. I have never received any type of confirmation from my points only the regular price for the cruise. I tried to contact them this afternoon only to find they were closed. I'll check back tomorrow and let you know what I find out. Hopefully they will confirm the use of my points. Wish me luck!!!!:o

LOL! Yes I do mean a $500 credit. We have been saving points for quite a while and charging almost everything and paying it off at the end of each month. Diligence pays off in the end. We're saving again for another cruise now! It works for us but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. :eek:

Last month (June 2008) I cashed in 25,000 World Points from my Bank of America Celebrity credit card and received a check for $250. They no longer issue on board credits for the points.

Our account is through MBNA and I verified this morning that indeed I have a $500 cruise credit and $200 OBC. They are still honoring points for cruises but you do have to go through their TA. They sent me a verification online this morning. WHEW! Now I just have to sit back and count the days till Dec! :D

They no longer issue on board credits for the points.

I would say that statement is not true, since I was just able to go to the world points rewards catalogue, and on-board credit was in fact available as one of the redemption options (under gift certificates, view all).

I added an obc item to my 'cart'... and all seemed just fine. Why do you say they no longer issue on board credits? What do you base that on?

Just to clarify, I did the over the phone bit a couple of years ago. It is not new. This year I looked at the website and it simply did not have the information necessary, so i called the Merchandise Awards # and asked if they had the Celebrity points. They transferred me to someone who told me they did, indeed have them, you still earned double points for purchases on Celebrity, and when i wanted to cash them in, to call him.

REDEMPTION MERCHANDISE 800-323-8313 OPTION 4

2 weeks ago I redeemed 25,000 WorldPoints online for a $250 OBC for my upcoming cruise in January. I immediately received an email confirmation with the "Order #" for the points reward which I was instructed to mail to Celebrity in Miami to have the credit posted to my account. A few days later I received a letter in the mail from WorldPoints confirming the redemption and stating that in order to use the reward to "please contact my TA or call Celebrity Cruises at 1-800-760-0654 within 180 days".

I just called Celebrity Captains Club at the above number and talked with "Sharon". She took the Order # and indicated that the OBC should appear on my statement in a few days and my TA could verify it then. :D

Just a somewhat off topic comment, but WOW! You must have some huge credit card bill!?! ... :D

Did you mean $500? :cool:

Whoops! I meant to type 5000 pts. = $50.00. But I did have quite a lot of points accrued.

• 3 weeks later...

I just redeemed 5000 points over the telephone for a $50 OBC.

1-800-434-8313 option 4 merchandise

She immediately gave me my confirmation # and told me to give it to my travel agent.

There is no mailing in to do at all.

The process that BOA uses is confusing to some...first they e mail you with an order # begining with the letter "E".

Then they send you a letter a week later with the number that you must give to celebrity when you call the Captain's Club to have the order applied to your cruise. The number that is e mailed may be confused with the real number that you must use to apply to your cruise.

I got three reps at X: the first one, I could not understand, the 2nd agent said that they do not accept "American Express World Points", and that she was in charge of the program. Duh...

The third person said that I should just give her the number on my e mail, the one starting with "E" ....wrong number.

I got the proper confirmation from World Points with the number that I should give to the Captain's Club. You just call them and on their prompt you press 1 to redeem and apply points. The 4th rep took the proper information and told me to check back for verification in a few weeks.

I finally got it done. Whew.

In a couple of weeks, I will call my TA and have her verify all my OBC's.

Shareholder, World Points, and booking bonus while on the ship.

under merchandise rather than World Points? If you will call the # I posted earlier it will get you right to the correct person who gives you the cfm # which you can then give to Celebrity. don't say World Points if that's what's throwing them off. Just say Celebrity Rewards thru Bank of America.

BOA Visa card. I have redemmed pts. for OBC many times. I call, get a redemption #, then call the captain's club dept, give them the # and my OBC is all set. Never have had a problem. I am cruising again this Dec. and have 20,000 pts so far to cash in for OBC. I always wait to do this until 2 weeks before we cruise, just in case somehing happens and we need to cancel, I don't want to risk loosing my pts. I wish, however that I could use my Celebrity visa card to get OBC on RCL. Oh well, life isn't perfect.

Archived