Ship Lingo

4bellablue

Hi

I want to get a room with a balcony.

Here's the thing.

I don't understand the lingo. This bb aft and all. For example

some say stay by the stern or aft.

Can someone help me understand how to get a room with a view.

Thanks

Jeane

Well, if you have a balcony, you will always have a view. The only other things to worry about is if you have an obstructed oceanview room or not. Obstructed can mean theres a lifeboat blocking part of your view but you can still see the ocean.

Aft = back of the ship

Forward = Obvious what this is, the front of the ship

Mid = Can you guess where this is?

That's about it. BB may be the category of the stateroom. Check the NCL.com for a description.

Look at the deck plans on the NCL website to get an idea of which cabin numbers are in which categories, and the location. Once you know the cabin numbers you are interested in, it is easier to go throught the search and booking process.

well...

if i can add..

Aft, Mid, Fwd are locations, but specifically "direction of travel".

you can walk aft....and arrive at the stern (the rear of the ship). likewise, you can walk forward and arrive at the bow of the ship.

Aft is towards the back of the ship.

Many baggage tags will have these letter combos on them.

FWD, MID, and AFT.

The purpose is to aid the baggage handlers sort your bags to the different elevator banks.

Aft doesn't always mean aft facing. Just that your cabin is closest to the Aft elevator bank.

You really didn't think the crew would carry the bags up 10 flight of stairs?

Yes, people use the term AFT with different meanings. Generally, it means the aft (or after) one third of the ship. Others refer to aft as that handful of cabins that actually face the very back so you can see where you have been. Aft facing is a better term.

There is another active message thread with widely varying opinions if they are good or not so good cabins. Some LOVE em. Others would just as soon pass on them.

any of the "b"s are balcony...BE, BD, BC, BB, BA.....the BA are the top deck (for balconies), the only difference is the locations....when i was looking at the spirit for last dec, we choose a BD. still mid-ship...but 2 decks under a BA and a lot less money.

any balcony, mini-suite or full suite, you are going to have a view.

i don't care for aft-view (facing the rear wake of the ship) or the foreward (facing front)..they get more movement (up and down). plus you have to walk the whole distance of the ship to get anywhere. i know others disagree, but i like my mid-ship balconies.

well...

if i can add..

Aft, Mid, Fwd are locations, but specifically "direction of travel".

you can walk aft....and arrive at the stern (the rear of the ship). likewise, you can walk forward and arrive at the bow of the ship.

:D Thank you! This has been a source, albeit very small, of irritation for me.:)

One thing we learned on one of our cruises if "left" equals "port", 4 letters each. It is generally considered to be the best side. At least, that's what we were told. We have always been happy. Also, we prefer to be near the elevators and the stairways. Forward has been too windy on the balcony. We've read too many complaints about trash falling onto the aft part of the ship.

Hi

Here's the thing.

Thanks

Jeane

We prefer completely Fwd (bow)...like to see where we are going

Completely Aft (stern)...seeing where you have been.

Balcony and Ocean View, you will (obviously) still have a view.

Go to the NCL website and see how the the cabins are laid out on each deck and chose what you prefer for your sailing. And, be aware of what is above and below you cabin.

Also...http://library.thinkquest.org/6169/lingo.htm

Hi

Here's the thing.

Thanks

Jeane

This is not "lingo" but rather coding. There are four general categories of cabins on the Norwegian ships:

A) Suites (largest cabins on the ship)

B) Balconies (standard size cabin with a private balcony)

C) Ocean View (standard size cabin with a window - the window will not open)

D) Inside (a cabin with no windows)

Norwegian codes suites a Ax (x will be another letter or number such as AA or A1). Balconies are coded Bx (x will be another letter such as BA or BB or BC ...). Ocean view and inside cabins have one or two letters starting with "C" or higher (such as D, or H or HH or JJ ...).

The second letter or number for suites or balconies tells you the grade within that category. For example an AA suite is better than an AC suite. And an A1 suite is better than an A3 suite. Better in this case refers to size.

A BA balcony is better than an BB balcony which is better than a BC balcony (and so on). Better in this case refers to location, since all the balcony cabins are the same size. Thus a BA balcony would be on the highest deck with balcony cabins and be mid ship. A BB balcony might be on the same deck as a BA balcony, but it would be either near the bow or near the stern (back), or the BB balcony could be mid ship one deck lower. A BC balcony might be near the bow or stern on the same deck as the mid ship BB balconies or a BC balcony could be mid ship one deck below the mid deck BB balconies.

Thus, in Norwegian's eyes, a BA balcony cost more than an BB balcony which cost more than a BC balcony (and so on). The same pricing with suites, better (bigger) cost more. In some cases the suites are the same size inside but the balconies are different sizes (the suites with the bigger balconies cost more).

As for terms, the bow is the pointy thing at the front of the ship. The aft or stern refers to the back of the ship. In general you move forward toward the bow or you move aft toward the stern. Port is the left side when facing the bow. Starboard is the right side when facing the bow. Mid ship means about half way between the bow and the stern.

In general cabins that are low and mid ship move less when the ocean is not smooth compared to cabins that are high and closer to the bow or the stern.

The bridge is where the captain controls the ship from. The ship's speed is usually given in knots. One knot is about 1.15 miles (or about 6,072 feet).

If the ship leans to the starboard or port (right or left) that is called roll. As the front of the ship moves up and down while going through waves, that is called pitch.

"Feeding the fish" and "green" are terms usually used to describe someone who is seasick.

This is not "lingo" but rather coding. There are four general categories of cabins on the Norwegian ships:

A) Suites (largest cabins on the ship)

B) Balconies (standard size cabin with a private balcony)

C) Ocean View (standard size cabin with a window - the window will not open)

D) Inside (a cabin with no windows)

Norwegian codes suites a Ax (x will be another letter or number such as AA or A1). Balconies are coded Bx (x will be another letter such as BA or BB or BC ...). Ocean view and inside cabins have one or two letters starting with "C" or higher (such as D, or H or HH or JJ ...).

The second letter or number for suites or balconies tells you the grade within that category. For example an AA suite is better than an AC suite. And an A1 suite is better than an A3 suite. Better in this case refers to size.

A BA balcony is better than an BB balcony which is better than a BC balcony (and so on). Better in this case refers to location, since all the balcony cabins are the same size. Thus a BA balcony would be on the highest deck with balcony cabins and be mid ship. A BB balcony might be on the same deck as a BA balcony, but it would be either near the bow or near the stern (back), or the BB balcony could be mid ship one deck lower. A BC balcony might be near the bow or stern on the same deck as the mid ship BB balconies or a BC balcony could be mid ship one deck below the mid deck BB balconies.

Thus, in Norwegian's eyes, a BA balcony cost more than an BB balcony which cost more than a BC balcony (and so on). The same pricing with suites, better (bigger) cost more. In some cases the suites are the same size inside but the balconies are different sizes (the suites with the bigger balconies cost more).

As for terms, the bow is the pointy thing at the front of the ship. The aft or stern refers to the back of the ship. In general you move forward toward the bow or you move aft toward the stern. Port is the left side when facing the bow. Starboard is the right side when facing the bow. Mid ship means about half way between the bow and the stern.

In general cabins that are low and mid ship move less when the ocean is not smooth compared to cabins that are high and closer to the bow or the stern.

The bridge is where the captain controls the ship from. The ship's speed is usually given in knots. One knot is about 1.15 miles (or about 6,072 feet).

If the ship leans to the starboard or port (right or left) that is called roll. As the front of the ship moves up and down while going through waves, that is called pitch.

"Feeding the fish" and "green" are terms usually used to describe someone who is seasick.

And all he/she wanted to know was how to get a room with a view:eek:

Any balcony roon has a view. If you stay in the aft (rear) of the ship you get the balcony that ovelooks the wake of the ship. I hear it is beautiful and relaxing, and we will be finding out in January. So find your ship layout on the website and see what balcony floor looks good to you and the numbers coordinate to the rooms and pick a cabin. The different letters (BB) have to do with the level you are on the ship and where the cabin is. The more expensive the better the location. Have fun booking, that is my favorite time other than going! LOL

Yes, people use the term AFT with different meanings. Generally, it means the aft (or after) one third of the ship. Others refer to aft as that handful of cabins that actually face the very back so you can see where you have been. Aft facing is a better term.

There is another active message thread with widely varying opinions if they are good or not so good cabins. Some LOVE em. Others would just as soon pass on them.

Where can I find this thread?

Hey Cathi and Cruizer2 -

Looks like the stern cabins (at the aft end, lol) do not fit into your neat BA, BB, BC hierarchy. We happen to cruise in BAs exclusively, and they are to be had on decks 8, 9 and 10 (at least on the Jewel and Gem). To us it means we have a choice of any of six cabins on each ship. Yeah I know, I am picking nits.

Hey Cathi and Cruizer2 -

Looks like the stern cabins (at the aft end, lol) do not fit into your neat BA, BB, BC hierarchy. We happen to cruise in BAs exclusively, and they are to be had on decks 8, 9 and 10 (at least on the Jewel and Gem). To us it means we have a choice of any of six cabins on each ship. Yeah I know, I am picking nits.

Yes, NCL considers aft facing cabins to be prime, so they all get the highest rating of BA (for the non-suites). My post was long enough without explaining all the exceptions.

Archived