Miracle itinerary change

surbish

Miracle is having a problem with its engines.

Tortola has been dropped and Grand Turk has been added. Time change for St Thomas, 7 AM - 4 PM instead of 7 AM - 6 PM. Grand Turk will be 1 PM - 7 PM, Tortolla was scheduled for 7 AM - 2 PM.

I hope we don't have to out run Bertha.

I called 1-888-Carnival They confirmed that due to engine problems the July 4 sailing would go to grand Turk instead of Tortola.

I just posted the same info on another post. The woman at carnival told me it has something to do with the ship not being able to go top speed.

I would have never known if I wasn't checking my info at carnival.com, no one notified me of the change. If anyone schelduled the dolphin discovery you better call them now and cancel and try to get a refund, unless u booked through carnival.

I hope Bertha isn't going to be a problem either.

I just got off the phone with Carnival.....turns out it will be for the rest of the year....

Y'know...I saw that one Carnival's site this morning and thought it was a glitch. Oh well, as long as it's tropical I don't care :D

Miracle is having a problem with its engines.

Tortola has been dropped and Grand Turk has been added. Time change for St Thomas, 7 AM - 4 PM instead of 7 AM - 6 PM. Grand Turk will be 1 PM - 7 PM, Tortolla was scheduled for 7 AM - 2 PM.

I hope we don't have to out run Bertha.

this sounds like a bunch of bull this engine trouble. tortola is within FERRY distance of st. thomas!

I called 1-888-Carnival They confirmed that due to engine problems the July 4 sailing would go to grand Turk instead of Tortola.

Does anyone know if she is scheduled for a drydock at the end of the year?

We are sailing her at the end of January to the southern caribbean...that's a long way to sail on iffy engines. :o

Has nothing to do with the engines, IMO. She was just in dry dock about a year ago. My money is they are trying to save fuel costs. In order to make it back to NYC, they really had to push the Miracle beyond normal cruising speed. This stop further north allows her to cruise at slower, more economical speeds.

Just a hunch, but I suspect there is more to the story than what we are hearing.

Has nothing to do with the engines, IMO. She was just in dry dock about a year ago. My money is they are trying to save fuel costs. In order to make it back to NYC, they really had to push the Miracle beyond normal cruising speed. This stop further north allows her to cruise at slower, more economical speeds.

Just a hunch, but I suspect there is more to the story than what we are hearing.

I called my brother and he basically said the same as you. Said there is really another reason for the port change. I don't mind except we did plan on going to the dolphin dscovery, my daughter was so looking foward to that. I just wish I had learned of the port change sooner than less than 24 hours before we sail.

not just july 4th and 12th, but our sailing too on the 20th (repete check the docs on line).

they are making this change well beyond any potential propulsion issues. they are making it LONG term, and they aren't giving us credit to realize that it is for OTHER reasons.

and..., as any long time ccl cruiser knows, when they have had propulsion problems with ships in the past, they FLIP FLOP the ships, they do NOT "cut" ports.

gerrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, where's UB??? bobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(come out of retirement. you've had a decent 6 month break. c'mon!:p)

This is one of the problems i have with the way some businesses are handling the increase in fuel prices. Just be honest with us. If you are an airline don't tell me the fare is $99 w/ a smile and then charge me $15 to bring even 1 bag of luggage. Carnival should just be honest. It is within their right to change or drop ports. Just tell the truth.

not just july 4th and 12th, but our sailing too on the 20th (repete check the docs on line).

they are making this change well beyond any potential propulsion issues. they are making it LONG term, and they aren't giving us credit to realize that it is for OTHER reasons.

and..., as any long time ccl cruiser knows, when they have had propulsion problems with ships in the past, they FLIP FLOP the ships, they do NOT "cut" ports.

gerrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, where's UB??? bobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(come out of retirement. you've had a decent 6 month break. c'mon!:p)

What do you mean by flip flop the ships:confused:

What do you mean by flip flop the ships:confused:

when there have been past propulsion problems, they have "flip flopped" (ccl used this term, actually, lol) the problem ship with a sister ship in the class.

for example, when the sensation was having issues a couple of years ago, instead of axing the ports on the booked sensation cruisers, they (UB, probably), decided to move over its sister ship fantasy to take over the longer runs that sensation was doing, and put sensation on fantasy's shorter itinerary until its propulsion issues cld be completely resolved.

the result was that everyone's itinerary stayed status quo, and the ship was identical, except in decor. this was a good move by our beloved UB.

i don't know what is going on here, but i agree with the guys who have posted here...i bet it has to do with fuel. if they head north earlier, they can take their time coming back and save money.

and i still do not understand their love for puerto rico. why not axe that port if you need to pick one to axe? most of us have been there a gazillion times, and they are never there during the day anyway!

IMO Grand Turk is a much nicer stop than Tortola. Neither island is known for shopping, but unless you are going to Virgin Gorda the Grand Turk stop offers a nicer experience.

To the person who said that it is a short hop from St. Thomas to Tortola, you are correct.

If there are engine issues, the night spent cruising northwest to Grand Turk will make NYC reachable without any push. (Remember that the ship basically goes nowhere from St. Thomas to Tortola).

It makes perfect sense that CCL is doing this because the extra 18 hours sailing time makes a big difference in distance.

BTW to the poster who suggests dropping San Juan, the same logic needs to be applied. It is about 5 or 6 hours further to St. Thomas, and the run is too long to be practical.

we were on the miracle last August and because of Hurricane Dean we were diverted to grand Turks and it is great. Nice beach, clean shopping, (not much shopping) and a great big pool behind Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville. Also, just heard that there is a flow rider there now, but it wasnt when we were on it. The pool has lots of activities, a DJ, swim up bar and contests. We did do an excursion, a semi submersible submarine, which included snorkeling and it was magnificent, but I would recommend no excursions and just enjoy the island. Wish we were going back..enjoy

I also called Carnival and they said it was due to the fact that they could not reach maximum speed ( sounds a little fishy to me). I did this itinerary last year and Grand Turk was nice, didn't really like the beach, but Margaritaville was really nice, the pool is beautiful. There are some really cute shops when you get off the ship. Did the horseback riding in the ocean, it was a little scary, because you 1st walked with the horses down some steep paths and then when you got in the ocean they had the horses galloping (I held on for dear life), but all in all it was fun. A little disappointed, but still can't wait to get away. :)

.....and was not too impressed with Tortola. Can anyone give a little review of Grand Turk. Is it possible that it is a better port to stop at?

:confused:

HI,

I LIKE GRAND TURK A LOT BETTER THEN TORTOLA.THERE IS NOT MUCH TO DO THERE,BUT AS SOON AS YOU GET OFF THE BEACH IS RIGHT THERE AND A HUGE POOL WITH A SWIM UP BAR.IT IS FREE TO USE THE POOL AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF CHAIRS FOR EVERYONE.WE WENT IN 2006 ON THE CROWN PRINCESS.I LIKE IT BETTER THEN TOTOLA,BUT THAT IS JUST MY OPINION.WE WILL BE GOING ON THE CARNIVAL MIRACLE IN SEPTEMBER AND I HOPE THEY ARE STILL GOING TO GRAND TURK BY THEN.

KELLY

I don't think I'm upset - Been to Tortola - gorgeoius beach! But I'm happy I will be visiting a new island now. If it's to save fuel that's fine - just wish we would know for sure. My partner doesn't like the fact that they said engine problems. He's not the biggest fan of cruising (as I am) LOL.

ETA I just looked at the excursions, and there are NONE??? Or is it possible they don't have them up yet?

I don't think I'm upset - Been to Tortola - gorgeoius beach! But I'm happy I will be visiting a new island now. If it's to save fuel that's fine - just wish we would know for sure. My partner doesn't like the fact that they said engine problems. He's not the biggest fan of cruising (as I am) LOL.

ETA I just looked at the excursions, and there are NONE??? Or is it possible they don't have them up yet?

I was just looking at the excursions:

http://carnival.com/ShoreExcursionsSearchResults.aspx?portcode=GDT&portname=Grand%20Turk

I think I like the idea of Grand Turk better than Tortola.

I am going to sign my son up for the Flowrider, he'll love it. I think Tortola would have been boring for him.

Thanks for the info about the port change. I have been so busy lately with my kids summer activities, I probably would not have known about this until boarding if it weren't for these boards.

Archived