Ok for formal night???

Sumy

My hubby and I are going on an Alaskan cruise on 9/03 on the CCL Spirit. I really didn't go all crazy thinking about formal wear (I have a few dresses I was planning to wear) but after reading through this thread I considered looking into getting something new. I went shopping yesterday for work attire (huge sales everywhere) and while looking for tops I came across this dress....at first I thought it wouldn't look good but to my amazement it looks really nice...however I'm not sure if it's good for a formal night....opinions/suggestions???

cruisedresszo3.jpg

Also since I'm always cold I found this really cute little sweater/wrap thing that's the same material as the dress. below is a picture of a similar sweater..only difference aside from material is mine ties in the center and its 3/4 sleeve. Please keep in mind I'm 24 and would like something that's age appropriate.

sweaterqe8.jpg

thanks

I'm almost sure Carnival did away with formal nights and replaced them with ''Elegant nights'' this dress is very elegant and will be perfect (it's not a formal dress but it's not what they ask for). I think it's a good idea to bring a sweater just in case but the dress is lovely as it is.

I was your age when I did my first cruise and I just love it, have a good cruise!

On Carnival, that will be fine, but it's NOT eveningwear! It's a sundress!

However, Carnival is much less "formal" than some of the other lines.

Sundress? The fabric seems too dressy for a sundress to me. I agree that it's not formal by any means but isn't a casual regular dress vs. a sundress? (I'm really asking the question, I'm trying to understand.

I think it is perfect. If I wasn't so "pleasingly plump" I would choose something like this - and not just for Carnival either. It also looks like it would be very comfortable.

P.S.

I would also like to know who penned that phrase which I quoted above. Nothing pleasing about it, LOL.

Sundress? The fabric seems too dressy for a sundress to me. I agree that it's not formal by any means but isn't a casual regular dress vs. a sundress? (I'm really asking the question, I'm trying to understand.

You're right. If it were cotton, that would be one thing, but it's very clearly not. And since "formal" is no where in Carnival's dress code anymore, it doesn't need to be formal.

Very cute. I'm 23 and it looks like something I would wear for a casual night (only because I like to dress up and wear a long dress for formal). I think it'll be fine for "elegant night". Good call on the sweater. I always want a sweater or a shawl at night!

On Carnival, that will be fine, but it's NOT eveningwear! It's a sundress!

However, Carnival is much less "formal" than some of the other lines.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I've never seen a sundress made with this fabric...In Miami this is considered eveningwear (for someone young) NOT a sundress!

I just returned from Carnival Spirit to Alaska. The dress will work perfect. I actually wore a very similar style of dress made of silk-without the little sweater. I have to tell you I received four compliments such as "really cute dress" "love your dress" etc. while walking through the ship. You'll be fine.

Archived