1st time guarantee

Scorpiorose

Member kakalina has gotten something like 16 upgrades on 18 guarantees. Counting a reservation we made for our DD/DSiL, we've gotten upgrades on all six of our guarantees.

Wouldn't it depend a lot on what level you booked a guarantee for? Fewer cabins in that class would mean a better chance of upgrading. On a Vista/Eurodam you would have a better chance of an upgrade when booking a VH than if you booked a VC.

Wouldn't it depend a lot on what level you booked a guarantee for? Fewer cabins in that class would mean a better chance of upgrading. On a Vista/Eurodam you would have a better chance of an upgrade when booking a VH than if you booked a VC.
Probably. I'm sure that most everyone who books a VH or SZ guarantee gets an upgrade. On the Vistas I did not want to take a chance on a deck 4 forward VH or VF, so we booked VE twice and VD once, and ended up in a VA in a nice location each time. For my DD/DSiL we booked an H guarantee and they got a C. Our R&S class guarantees were for low-step outsides and we got moved up a few steps each time.

Well I really wanted a cabin at the very back of the ship for our December Mexico trip but I could not get one. I guess they were already taken. Anyway I did not want to risk a forward cabin so even though I had purchased a VF guarantee I phoned the TA today to see what HAL could assign me. Anyway after some disucssion and negotiations I was able to get a VD cabin near the aft of the ship (no price difference or no new booking needed). Cabin 4152 I believe. I do not know if this will prevent me from getting a potential upgrade but if it does I am ok with that knowing the location of the cabin.icon12.gif

Well I really wanted a cabin at the very back of the ship for our December Mexico trip but I could not get one. I guess they were already taken. Anyway I did not want to risk a forward cabin so even though I had purchased a VF guarantee I phoned the TA today to see what HAL could assign me. Anyway after some disucssion and negotiations I was able to get a VD cabin near the aft of the ship (no price difference or no new booking needed). Cabin 4152 I believe. I do not know if this will prevent me from getting a potential upgrade but if it does I am ok with that knowing the location of the cabin.icon12.gif

And you did the right thing. I always book guarantees now and if lighthing did strike and I actually got one of the 2 SZ cabins (Vistas) I would be fine with it. That's the key, you MUST be ok with the worst cabin (personal taste comes into play) within the category you booked.

And you did the right thing. I always book guarantees now and if lighthing did strike and I actually got one of the 2 SZ cabins (Vistas) I would be fine with it. That's the key, you MUST be ok with the worst cabin (personal taste comes into play) within the category you booked.

Yea I really feel like I did do the right thing. I feel so much better knowing we won't be in a foraward cabin and given we already have a balcony an upgrade isn't as important to me.

Probably. I'm sure that most everyone who books a VH or SZ guarantee gets an upgrade. On the Vistas I did not want to take a chance on a deck 4 forward VH or VF, so we booked VE twice and VD once, and ended up in a VA in a nice location each time. For my DD/DSiL we booked an H guarantee and they got a C. Our R&S class guarantees were for low-step outsides and we got moved up a few steps each time.

I agree with this John... After having trawled for lots of opinions, it seems as though those most willing to gamble with guarantees, are most successful. I guess it comes down to the bottom line. We would rather risk an upgrade than be stuck with a VH or VF, but generally, the pricing for those are our max. So far, so good....

PS. I'm with you on the earplugs, though I do think they may be more addictive than caffeine or nicotine.... :D :D :D

Brewster, seems like you already got a decent upgrade with the VD for the same price as a VF. You'll be really happy with 4152--we were just a few doors down in 4136 on the Westerdam. The BIG balcony is awesome.

No VFs have any obstructions ... unless you consider the lifeboats below the deck 5 VFs as obstructions. I don't. :)

We booked a VF deck 5 on the Eurodam. Can you please tell me more about the view? It was a surprise from my hubby for a first time cruise. I saw the life boats and thought..oh my...

Thanks

Judy

No VFs have any obstructions ... unless you consider the lifeboats below the deck 5 VFs as obstructions. I don't. :)

I am so glad to hear the life boats do not pose a problem! I am on deck 5 VF. Hubby booked the cruise as a surprise and when I knew we were above the boats I cringed!

We booked a VF deck 5 on the Eurodam. Can you please tell me more about the view? It was a surprise from my hubby for a first time cruise. I saw the life boats and thought..oh my...
I am so glad to hear the life boats do not pose a problem! I am on deck 5 VF. Hubby booked the cruise as a surprise and when I knew we were above the boats I cringed!
Here is a picture looking up from a dock toward the deck 5 VE & VF cabins. They are the ones with the orange ceilings, a reflection off the lifeboat roofs. As you can see (I hope) you can't look straight down to the water (or dock) up close to the ship, but it really isn't a very blocked view IMO. The ones forward of midship are a bit better than the ones aft, over the tenders, because the tenders are a bit higher.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30070&d=1160504525

gosh, I just don't know what to do now.....I'm guaranteed VF. Should I call and try to get a non guaranteed VF that is set mid ship without a metal rail if I can???
I would. :) Or move up to a VE guarantee, so you definitely can't get the metal-wall railing.

Archived