1st time guarantee

Scorpiorose

You will not receive a stateroom lower than a VF. Most likely you will receive a VF or something higher (but still in the same general category; i.e. an upgrade to a VA or a VB is not too uncommon, but an upgrade to a suite is rare).

I booked it because it was suggested as the best way to get around the price special on an obstructed balcony, and perhaps get something a little better. AND because I hear CC members always talking about their guaranteed bookings.

I've read the stories of the Upgrade Fairy, and some of them are pretty impressive ... but we have never booked a guarantee because "upgrade" can be in the eyes of the beholder. We prefer to select a specific cabin that we'll be happy with ... rather than hope we'll be assigned better than we'd booked/hoped.

If you are concerned about the guarantee ... contact your T/A, if you used one, or HAL and opt out of the guarantee.

I'm scared now, just booked my very first guarantee VF patially obst. balcony on Nov. Mex. Riv. cruise.

I understand that I can only be bumped up, correct?

just remember that you could get a higher cat HC cabin, with a roll in shower, no tub, no shelf under the vanity, etc. Often the unbooked HC cabins are used for gty bookings....

Most people book guarantees in hopes of getting something better than they paid for. This may or may not happen. If you are certain you will enjoy the worst cabin in the category you booked, by all means stick with it. If not getting an upgrade is going to diminish your cruise, it's perhaps better to stick with an assigned cabin number.

In other words, the only thing you control is your expectation and reaction.

Having said this, I hope the upgrade fairy is good to you.

I'm scared now, just booked my very first guarantee VF patially obst. balcony ...
No VFs have any obstructions ... unless you consider the lifeboats below the deck 5 VFs as obstructions. I don't. :)

No VFs have any obstructions ... unless you consider the lifeboats below the deck 5 VFs as obstructions. I don't. :)

Actually, I believe that the forward VFs on deck 4 are obstructed by the steel railing.

I always book the stateroom that I want...last cruise, we booked a VA deluxe verandah stateroom on the stern. I told the TA "No Upgrades." The only upgrade from there would have been a suite, but I really wanted to try a stateroom on the stern.

I don't like heights, so prefer to select something on a lower deck.

On our last cruise, someone on our roll call had booked a guarantee (not sure which category) and ended up with a VA on toward the bow on Deck 8. He thought he'd hit the lottery. Only problem was, we had 18' seas the first sea day and his wife was seasick the entire day. Same thing on the last sea day, and it was his turn that time to be sea sick. So, it ended up being not such a gift after all.

If you're good at going with the flow and the roll of the dice, by all means, take your chances. If not, I'd select a stateroom that you would be happy with.

Because you just never know....

right, that's what the booking gal said.

is to book the VE guarantee for a little more...

That will get you passed the uncertainty of the VF steel railing.... However, if as you said in your other thread, you paid little more than you would have for an inside, you might be happy with your minimum of the VF steel railing... If there are none available to be assigned, then maybe you can rest assured that there will be none available when the allocation is done... It really is throwing the dice... I wouldn't do it on a roulette wheel, but I would on a HAL cruise...

Let us know how you go!!!!. :D :D :D

Yep, I'm really not a gal who bets, I like black and white, booked, loaded and locked. But, in the interest of "growing" I am going to take a chance. The only thing I'm worried about is the movement of the ship if we dont get mid ship. AND perhaps the anchor! On miracle we were right over the anchor and let me tell you, we were very aware, it sounded like an airplane landing right on us! And I tend to get a little motion sickness. Well here's the deal really, I think their are only VF's with the metal railing left so I really dont have anything to lose in terms of the balcony, just the location!!!

The only thing I'm worried about is the movement of the ship if we dont get mid ship. AND perhaps the anchor!

Guarantees work best for those who do not care where their cabin is located. You and most passengers are concerned about the same thing. Those most concerned book a specific cabin in the mid section of the ship. It's unlikely you will get such a cabin. But as you said, it's a growing experience and you are aware of the risks of less desirable locations.

And maybe, just maybe.....;)

Actually, I believe that the forward VFs on deck 4 are obstructed by the steel railing.

right, that's what the booking gal said.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. IF you end up in one with the steel-wall railings it just means that you have to stand up to see anything besides sky. Not a tragedy IMO!

On all the R- and S-class ships the lower 3 ft verandah railings are steel so that you can't sit down and see anything on the water close to the ship. They are still very desired cabins. :)

I booked it because it was suggested as the best way to get around the price special on an obstructed balcony, and perhaps get something a little better. AND because I hear CC members always talking about their guaranteed bookings.

I don't think people post messages when they did not get an upgrade, so there is no way of knowing what your chances for an upgrade is based on past performance. :)

I don't think people post messages when they did not get an upgrade, so there is no way of knowing what your chances for an upgrade is based on past performance. :)
Here's one. We had a K guarantee and got a K (inside). No problem, for two reasons:

1. First cruise with HAL so why should they?

2. We won't spend much time in the cabin anyway.

In other words, everything's fine. But I do have a question. The cabin has no neighbor in back and none on one side, though there are "cabin like" spaces in both locations. We've determined through our TA that those "nothing" areas are storage for linens and other items. Is that a noise problem at night?

If so, we're taking earplugs anyway, but I'm just curious.

We've determined through our TA that those "nothing" areas are storage for linens and other items. Is that a noise problem at night?

If so, we're taking earplugs anyway, but I'm just curious.

We had a cabin across the hall from a steward's service room, and we heard some conversations from there during the daytime when that door was open, but nothing at night. Earplugs are always a good idea in my book!

SCORPIOROSE,

I have been on 50+ cruises and if i can i always ask and get a guarantee and almost all the time i get an upgrade.

At least you get what you pay for which isn't bad.

JIM

Member kakalina has gotten something like 16 upgrades on 18 guarantees. Counting a reservation we made for our DD/DSiL, we've gotten upgrades on all six of our guarantees.

We had a cabin across the hall from a steward's service room, and we heard some conversations from there during the daytime when that door was open, but nothing at night. Earplugs are always a good idea in my book!
I figured as much, similar to a hotel. Thanks!

I also realized that my point 1 above made no sense. I meant to say it's our first cruise with HAL, so why should they upgrade us? They'll upgrade return customers before they get to us. As it should be.

Archived