Message to all first-time snorkellers

Alvida

As a first-time snorkeler myself who just came back from my first cruise and snorkeling experience, I thought I would share some advice that I have not seen on here.

1. You may be required to just of the edge of the boat into 25 ft deep water so be prepared. I thought we would be walking into shallow water but I was saddly mistaken. I can swim well but the shock of the saltwater stinging my throat, nose and eyes almost drowned me (even though I had on a lifevest:eek: ). I have never been afraid of water (even when I was younger and couldn't swim) but that that ocean water with the currents and the small waves had me terrified so try not to panic.

2. You might want to have your gear (mouth piece and goggles) in place BEFORE jumping in. That was another large part of my problem. I don't float well so trying to put on my mask and get that darn mouth piece in place with out taking in water while holding a camera and trying to float (my lifevest was not worth crap) was just too much.

3. If you are going to bring your own equipment, bring good stuff. I got a snorkel set from Big Lots (yeah, I'm cheap) and all was well until the sides of the mask kept coming loose. I gave up and used their mask and counted that $6 a loss!

Just thought I'd give you all a heads up that I didn't get!

Good Advice Alvida.

One more thing though, when you jump in the water with your mask on please make sure you hold it in place with your hand when you jump in. I am a diver and have seen quite a few fellow divers lose their mask because they forgot to keep a firm hand on their mask when they did their giant stride into the water.

Put your mask and snorkel on. Make sure there's no hair caught in the mask. Sit at the edge of the boat with your back to the ocean, put your fins on, turn around and just slide down into water. Try not to jump into water diver style called giant stride. It takes skill and experience. A novice snorkeler would be choking with salt water if you try a giant stride.

Most likely the "lifevest" you were provided was actually a snorkel vest, which requires you to manually inflate it with air if you want buoyancy.

Try putting a lung-full or two of air in it before "jumping in". Once your settled in the water and comfortable with your mask/snorkel fit you can deflate it as needed to dive.

Interesting comments Alvida. The other comments are good also. I did enjoy reading about your experience and learning the hard way. Personally I prefer to get into the water from a boat which does include the giant stride into the water. I am a scuba diver though so my air is coming from the tank on my back.

This will be my first attenpt - bought the equipment last cruise and never got a chance to try it out. So back to the store - it went. Anyway, is it

better to rent the equipment from the excursion people or bring your own - I am NOT into the shared mouthpiece "thing". Just how do they go about sterlizing them?? :confused: :confused: Also, I am an "OK" swimmer - I see that you

wear a vest of some sort - does that really help keep you horizontal in the

water?? Or should I just forget about the whole idea?? :(

Anyway, is it better to rent the equipment from the excursion people or bring your own - I am NOT into the shared mouthpiece "thing". Just how do they go about sterlizing them?? :confused: :confused: Also, I am an "OK" swimmer - I see that you

Definitly GO! The things you see under water will astound and delight you. If you have the gear, bring it. If you think you will be diving enough to make it cost effective, buy the gear at home and try things out locally before the trip to get used to its operation and feel. As for sterlizing the mouthpiece, try rubbing it with a handful of Purell / hand sanitizer, then rinse. You might want to do a taste-test on the hand sanitizer first (I chew my nails so I tested and found that Purell does not leave a taste, for me anyway).

I'm not sure about the vest helping to keep you horizontal - I am a fairly strong swimmer so mine was deflated most of the time.

Definitely don't forget about the whole idea! It's worth trying even if you decide you don't like it. I was shocked at how scared I was but once I got myself together I had a wonderful time.

The vest held me up fine once I had it fully inflated. Also, I sink as soon as I get into water so I am a special case (thick bones and a lot of muscle). No one else seemed to be struggling as much as I was.:rolleyes:

And I don't know much about their sterilization. I just said a prayer before I put that snorkel in my mouth because I was not prepared to use theirs. I will repeat: GET GOOD EQUIPMENT if you're going to get your own!

This will be my first attenpt - bought the equipment last cruise and never got a chance to try it out. So back to the store - it went. Anyway, is it

better to rent the equipment from the excursion people or bring your own - I am NOT into the shared mouthpiece "thing". Just how do they go about sterlizing them?? :confused: :confused: Also, I am an "OK" swimmer - I see that you

If any air is in the vest, it would tend to push you towards a vertical position, not horizontal.

If you can float, you can snorkel. I hate vest, though many operators make you wear one unfortunately. Insurance requirement. Vest gets in the way, makes it more difficult snorkeling if you ask me, but I'm comfortable snorkeling.

As a first-time snorkeler myself who just came back from my first cruise and snorkeling experience, I thought I would share some advice that I have not seen on here.

3. If you are going to bring your own equipment, bring good stuff.

There is definitely a difference between quality equipment and the cheap sets you can get a "large discount chain store". The best place to get a high quality mask is at your local dive shop. They should many to choose from, with a mask to fit any face shape.

That and I really don't care for snorkeling. It is too restrictive for my tastes. For those of you who are medically qualified, scuba diving is much more liberating as well as more visually stimulating.

Don't forget the whole idea ! I hate Hate HATE water in my face and am not a great swimmer but I love what I see in the water too much to miss it.

We take private tours so I can let the guide know that I am uncomfortable in the water and I bring my own "good" equipment. It makes all the difference in the world. I also wear a vest because it gives me extra confidence (plus keeps me alive, LOL):p

Good luck on your next attempt.

Alvida you bring up a good point. Stepping off into deep water can be an intimidating experience. A lot of folks have never been in open ocean water before-- it's very different than a pool or a calm lake.

Just remember to inflate your vest BEFORE you step in! If you do, then nothing really bad can happen to you. You WILL float. The laws of physics demand it!

My sister-in-law, a non-diver who lives inland, came on a "discover scuba" excursion cruising Princess with my wife and I. Stepping off the side of the dive boat into the limpid Caribbean with 50 pounds of gear strapped to her back was an experience she described as "an experiment in terror". I have to admit it is an experience similar to jumping off a dock wearing a backpack full of rocks... it just feels WRONG!

Contrary to what people new to snorkeling think, it is much easier to snorkel from a boat in deep water than beach snorkeling. You can walk into water fine, but then you have to swim passed the waves breaking till you get to where the water is clear enough to see anything worthwhile. Fighting waves isn't easy sometimes. You can stay where you can stand. Chances are that if it's shallow enough for you to stand up, it's close enough for waves to be kicking up sand.

"an experiment in terror". I have to admit it is an experience similar to jumping off a dock wearing a backpack full of rocks... it just feels WRONG!

I couldn't describe it better myself!

Originally Posted by curlyqlink viewpost.gif

"an experiment in terror". I have to admit it is an experience similar to jumping off a dock wearing a backpack full of rocks... it just feels WRONG!

I couldn't describe it better myself!

We are "land animals" after all. :) Thousand of years of our ancestors not surviving a spill in the water is a hard feeling to break! On the bright side, snorkeling isn't like sky diving which requires you to jump out of a perfectly good airplane and plummet to the ground. :p

Randall

I recommend you get a "dry snorkel" at minimum for the obvious sanitary reasons;your own germs versus the unknown person before you. The dry snorkel does not let water in the snorkel tube so if you get splashed with a wave you won't get the salt water in your mouth which can cause panic. If you purchase one at home then you can try it in the bathtub even.

I am an experienced snorkeler but once was a beginner just like everyone once was. I practiced in my pool at home and in fresh water lakes.

I started with my own snorkel on my first cruise due a touch of germ phobia and used all the other equipment from the tour guides. Next cruise I got a mask then next time bought booties and fins. After 4 cruises and 2 Florida snorkelling trips, I love it.

We got a great underwater camera at LL Bean for 15 or 20 bucks and it takes 35 mm. film and I have great shots from places like Great Barrier reef in Belize, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Barbados, St. Thomas, and Key Largo, FL.

I think off the beach snorkelling can be easier than jumping off boats for beginners especially in places like Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas and Chankannubb(SP) Park in Cozumel. Most websites of tours will tell you if the have easy assess off the boat. I find most Catamarans have nice easy steps into the water.

I agree with the above posters that say a good guide will instruct beginners just ask, but usually it is offered. When we went on Capn' Marvin tour in Grand Cayman. It was our family of 5 experienced snorkelers(It helps having a brother who is a professional diver to teach us all) and a family of 4 from Wisconsin. The Mom from Wisconsin was really afraid and the guide held her afloat on top of the surfaces of the water and she loved the sights she saw. Next stop she was even brave enough to hold a stringray.

I really wish I could scuba dive because the sights under the sea are so incredible, but a health condition prevents this, but snorkelling is great so beginners out there don't let the fear stop you and get those dry snorkels they are great. Jeanine

I always get a kick out of people so concerned about using a rental snorkel. These same people on the ship each day consume about 6000 calories more than they should using dozens and dozens of utensiles, dishes and glasses that have shared the mouths of many a passengers. Then they end their day sleeping in bedding shared by honeymooners and the like. I will take my chances anyday with a rental snorkel. I have my own scuba/snorkel gear so I guess it is a moot point for me...maybe I should be bringing my own sheets, however.

'bob

I always get a kick out of people so concerned about using a rental snorkel. These same people on the ship each day consume about 6000 calories more than they should using dozens and dozens of utensiles, dishes and glasses that have shared the mouths of many a passengers. Then they end their day sleeping in bedding shared by honeymooners and the like. I will take my chances anyday with a rental snorkel. I have my own scuba/snorkel gear so I guess it is a moot point for me...maybe I should be bringing my own sheets, however.

'bob

I'm almost ashamed to feed the troll but...

The utensiles, dishes, glasses, sheets, etc are washed very well between users. There is no way of knowing what sanitizing measures were taken with the rental equipment. Better safe than sorry.

I'm almost ashamed to feed the troll but...

The utensiles, dishes, glasses, sheets, etc are washed very well between users. There is no way of knowing what sanitizing measures were taken with the rental equipment. Better safe than sorry.

How is it trolling to comment on previous posts within this thread? Several posters here seem to be uncomfortable with the idea of using a rental snorkeling gear for sanitary reasons. I was simply pointing out the fact that these same cruisers will most likely put numerous utensils, glasses, etc, in their mouths that have been shared by other passengers and have no problem with it. Furthermore, you have no absolute assurance that these items have been suitably sanitized either.

It is only because people are accustomed to using shared utensils without giving it a thought. However, the first thought of placing a snorkel in ones mouth that has been shared by others is uncomfortable for some. Given that both are/should be sanitized, I say there is no difference and it should not keep people from snorkeling if they don’t have or only have inferior equipment.

‘Bob

I agree that the operator of the boat SHOULD have advised the snorklers on how to safely enter and leave the water. It's a shame that apparently wasn't done.

In addition to the recommendations to purchase personal snorkle gear, I would also advise people who enjoy snorkling to purchase their own dive masks. PARTICULARLY individuals who need prescriptions to see. It's very frustrating to get into the water expecting to see all the beautiful fish...only to discover that you can't see a THING. Additionally, the fit of a mask is as "personal" as each face is different. Having to spend an entire hour or so in the water attempting to remove water from a mask that is ill-fitting is no fun. :(

How is it trolling to comment on previous posts within this thread? Several posters here seem to be uncomfortable with the idea of using a rental snorkeling gear for sanitary reasons. I was simply pointing out the fact that these same cruisers will most likely put numerous utensils, glasses, etc, in their mouths that have been shared by other passengers and have no problem with it. Furthermore, you have no absolute assurance that these items have been suitably sanitized either.

It is only because people are accustomed to using shared utensils without giving it a thought. However, the first thought of placing a snorkel in ones mouth that has been shared by others is uncomfortable for some. Given that both are/should be sanitized, I say there is no difference and it should not keep people from snorkeling if they don’t have or only have inferior equipment.

‘Bob

Hi,

While I sometimes find a piece of dried food on a fork, I feel comfortable that a restaurant has made an effort to wash it between guests. However, I know of at least 5 snorkel excursions where I "helped" the crew get out snorkel gear for others out of their hold on the boat (I have my own gear so I don't have to mess with getting gear or fitting it). In all five, the masks/fins/snorkels/snorkel vests, were thrown in the bottom of a hold with one of the crew down in there sorting through it all handing up gear. And after the snorkelers got back on board, some still with their snorkels still in their mouths, hand the gear to the crew who threw them back into the hold while rushing to hoist the sails. You could plainly see the gear wasn't reorganized or sorted from cleaning and the hold contained other nautical gear like anchors, rope and flags. So yes, a sailboat isn't a restaurant and yes, I'm sure they don't attempt to sanitize their gear. BTW, this was on several islands and several operators so I can only assume this is the standard practices in the Caribbean. Dive centers are different, but usually involve a large soaking tank with just fresh water (and yes, all the wet suits, fins, etc. go in the same tank for rinsing); I rinse in my shower when I get back to the ship. I personally am glad I have my own gear for fit AND sanitary reasons.

Randall

I love to snorkel and agree off a boat is better than trying to wade into the surf.. however, my way of 'jumping' in is sitting on the edge and kind of roll in.. lol.. ok.. putting my arms out like i'm going to swim.. not jump in... this all started from my hubby being in the water and coaxing me in.. "like we did to the little ones... swim to me type of thing"...

• 1 year later...

yes, i realize this thread is old! BUt it has a ton of good information.

We will be "beginner" snorkelers. I have done the intro to Scuba before. i have a couple of questions regarding snorkeling.

When dh & I were in Grand Cayman last year, I had a pair of goggles (i wear contacts) and i took an air mattress and laid sideways across it and floated on top of the water looking down into the water. boy did i wish i had a snorkel because bobbing my head in and out of the water was a pain lol. but i enjoyed it and we decided to by snorkels.

We went to a local sporting goods store and purchased two mask and snorkel sets. they are the kind that close off so no water gets in even when fully submerged. Is that the correct kind to get?

Are fins needed?

I have read about the vests...are these life jacket vests? or something else?

Thanks in advance for your answers and any additional help you may have.

We have a private deepsea fishing charter in Cozumel in April and we will be doing some snorkeling with them.

Archived