Skagway Suggestions Please

TeeBuccs

Will be returning to Skagway and looking for ideas of things to do. DH and I visited here last summer and rented a car and drove into the Yukon. We had a great time and saw a lot, but not sure that we would see much different doing this again.

I know there is always the train - is it worth the time and money if we've done the Yukon thing ourselves? I also realize there are the more "touristy" things such as the Soapy Smith tour, history, etc...but we aren't really into that stuff.

Any others suggestions for things to be done in the vacinity? Ship is in port for 10 hours or so. We are relatively adventurous and active individuals and just concerned about this port and what to do.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Hi,

to echo what Yukon has suggested, I spoke with several people who have taken this trip, and they couldn't say enough about it. The trip the people we spoke with took, got them from Skagway to Haines by boat, not plane. Regardless, they thought it was fabulous.

Has anyone done the "Valley of the Eagles Nature Tour with Catamaran Cruise" run by Alaska Nature Tours?

It leaves from the Skagway dock in a catamaran, takes you over to Haines to see the eagle preserve and bears in season, then brings you back to Skagway.

It's a very scenic trip, just don't expect to see any bears, or any more eagles than you'll see along the docks at any port (the eagles arrive at Haines in huge numbers in November).

If you want to do something absolutely FREE....we hiked around Lower Dewey Lake. We took our time and luckily had an amazingly beautiful day. Had lunch about half way around the lake and took about 3 hours round trip. It was one of my favorite days in Alaska

We did the Eagle Preserve rafting trip in Haines and loved it. It was quite a change from the small boat trips that we did on the same cruise (Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest in Sitka and Kenai Fjords in Seward). It was nice and relaxing and very quiet drifting down the river. The scenery was spectacular. (See pictures below - Haines.)

We did a hike and float tour that was great. It was the same one that was offered by the cruise line but we booked it independently so we could go at a different time. The guide was great and pointed out a lot of things. He saw a bear in the grass across the way that we would never have seen on our own as well as an eagle's nest. It was a blast.

I agree with #1survivorfan. Lower Dewey Lake trail was really beautiful. The locals can tell you where to find the trail head. Its between two buildings and then across the rr tracks. When you get to the fork in the trail which is the loop around the lake my suggestion would be to go to your left. We found the trail to be a bit challenging with one area that has rocks to manuever over not too difficult though. BUT I would suggest hiking shoes.

Also we took the 9am Ranger guided tour. We found it to be very interesting to hear about the history of Skagway.

Both are free!!!:)

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm

Historic District Walking Tours

45 minute Ranger-led walking tours of the Skagway Historic District

WHEN: Early May - Late September

TIMES: Daily 9 AM, 10 AM, 11 AM, 2 PM and 3 PM

WHERE: Free tickets available at the Visitor Center, 2nd Avenue and Broadway. Walks are limited to 30 participants.

I went on this tour on May 27th of this year. I highly recommend this trip. Pricy but worth the money. Also, Glacier Point Wilderness is not available independently as it is contracted only to the cruise ships. On this trip you will paddle on a canoe and get about 30 feet to the foot of the glacier. This was as close as I got to any glacier in the entire trip. I/we were up close and personal with Davidson Glacier and I cannot put into words the feeling of being so close by water. Also, while on the catamaran traveling back to the ship we had a whale breach for us more than 20 times. The whale breached four times and then rested by slapping her fin in a hello motion and then jumped another four times, over and over. It was incredible. Of course this may not happen again, but it sure added to what was already a fabulous tour.

Suggestion, if you plan to only do one tour in the $250 range then I suggest you do the helicopter landing on a glacier. I took the helicopter in Juneau which landed on Mendenhall Glacier booking independently and saving $40 over the Princess Excursion rate. I booked with Temsco. That was the highlight of the entire two week train/cruise tour.

Hope your trip will be as fabulous as mine. :)

I also suggest you look into the River Float through portpromotions.com as it was a great excursion. A little private van ride (with a great guide) to Dyea, and a float down the river. It was spectacular (we did the bus up/train down that morning). Great salmon snacks at the end.They also offer this excursion with a hike, but some of the people in our group of 6 didn't want to do that:rolleyes:..so we opted for the 2 hour float. It was great!!!

Thanks for the great trail info...if we did one of the shorter hikes (about an hour) would you suggest wearing bug spray?

I would take the bug spray.....just in case.

We were in Alaska for 15 days July 2006 and I don't believe I saw one mosquito. I never put on bug spray even though every activity we did was outside. I think we were very lucky.....15 days and we only had 1 day of rain and that was in Glacier Bay. I heard that the week after we were there it rained almost every day. I'm sure there were more bugs out then

Will be returning to Skagway and looking for ideas of things to do. DH and I visited here last summer and rented a car and drove into the Yukon. We had a great time and saw a lot, but not sure that we would see much different doing this again.

I know there is always the train - is it worth the time and money if we've done the Yukon thing ourselves? I also realize there are the more "touristy" things such as the Soapy Smith tour, history, etc...but we aren't really into that stuff.

Any others suggestions for things to be done in the vacinity? Ship is in port for 10 hours or so. We are relatively adventurous and active individuals and just concerned about this port and what to do.

Thank you for any suggestions!

We will be in Skagway July 28. we booked the fast ferry to Haines so we can take a 1/2 day Kaiaking tour with Sean from Haines@alaskamountainguides.com cell# 801.230.6296

Looking forward to this, it's like getting two tours in one.

Only thing is the tour is as soon as we get off the ship.

we are also doing the horseback riding tour to the Yukon

Make a difference , make a friend, make memories....

Susie

It's a very scenic trip, just don't expect to see any bears, or any more eagles than you'll see along the docks at any port (the eagles arrive at Haines in huge numbers in November).

With all due respect and especially with someone that lives in Whitehorse I must differ.

We have done the Vally of the Eagles float trip twice with Tom Lang in September and two years ago in August and we saw bunches of eagles in trees and on shore each time. The catamaran from Skagway and the history lesson we got on it on the Chilkat was worth the price by its self. Took grand daughter Tom autographed all his books for her, had a great time.:)

GERTZ

Next Tahitian 9/18 Vancouver to Honolulu

Coral 4/12 FLL to LA

Island 8/17/09 Alaska 4th time w/grandson

I went on this tour on May 27th of this year. I highly recommend this trip. Pricy but worth the money. Also, Glacier Point Wilderness is not available independently as it is contracted only to the cruise ships. On this trip you will paddle on a canoe and get about 30 feet to the foot of the glacier. This was as close as I got to any glacier in the entire trip. I/we were up close and personal with Davidson Glacier and I cannot put into words the feeling of being so close by water. Also, while on the catamaran traveling back to the ship we had a whale breach for us more than 20 times. The whale breached four times and then rested by slapping her fin in a hello motion and then jumped another four times, over and over. It was incredible. Of course this may not happen again, but it sure added to what was already a fabulous tour.

Suggestion, if you plan to only do one tour in the $250 range then I suggest you do the helicopter landing on a glacier. I took the helicopter in Juneau which landed on Mendenhall Glacier booking independently and saving $40 over the Princess Excursion rate. I booked with Temsco. That was the highlight of the entire two week train/cruise tour.

Hope your trip will be as fabulous as mine. :)

We did this excursion in 2006, it was a great experience.

color]<a href=color]

Archived