A loaf of bread, jug of wine: etc

silverstash

Will be going from Veinna to Amsterdam starting Aug. 30th. Noticed on the shore excursions there is quite abit of "free time" in some of the ports. My question --Are there any public places to stop and relax and have a loaf of bread, glass of wine, bite of cheese and maybe some fruit as we take in the local atmosphere. Any suggestions or thoughts on this would be appreciated

DH and I have been to Europe on numerous occasions, and one of our very favorite things to do is scope out the local department stores -which usually have excellent grocery stores on the bottom floor...and stock up on local wines, cheeses, breads and fruit. Then we find a picnic spot (usually a public park area) and enjoy a very private lunch. We are on Uniworld in July from Vienna to Amsterdam and plan to continue this tradition. Although daily lunch is included on our trip...we will probably do lunch on our own because we seriously enjoy this part of our travel. Keep in mind that many European cities observe a period of time in the middle of the day when stores and markets close down for a couple of hours....usually noon until 2:00 pm. Shop early!

silverstash,

Especially in Austria you might find some wine restaurants where you can get just a glass of wine. They might also serve something we call "Brotzeit" which can be a cheese platter with bread and maybe some grapes. Or a cold cut platter with bread. If you translate it directly "Brotzeit" is "bread time". Actually this decribes any kind of meal inbetween the main meals or even a cold lunch/dinner with bread, cheese, cold cuts.

Department stores should be open during lunchtime. So are chain brand supermarkets. Only small family operated stores are still closing here in Germany. Most chain brand supermarkets are open 7 or 8 am to 7 or 8 pm.

I´d also prefer buying stuff in a local grocery store / supermarket and have some sort of picnic. You´ll usually find a nice spot along the river with a bench.

steamboats

Silverstash: You don't mention which cruiseline you will be on, but I assume that most of them have Program Directors on board. (We've only used GCT.) These PD's are a wealth of information and not just in history and culture areas. Ask them where to shop (they may even take a group to the local supermarket during the free time), and ask them for local specialties (food or drink), plus where to sit to enjoy the passing crowds. We kept a cooler in our cabin and sampled wines, beers, etc from the areas we were visiting. I also suggest packing a small cutting board and knife as well as the corkscrew. And some kind of a nice tote bag to take your supplies to a nearby park, etc. And yes, in many of your stops, the river itself will be quite scenic-many towns had a nice promenade around the docking area.

Have a wonderful cruise (Vienna to Amsterdam was my favorite!!)

Archived