State ID / Drivers License Required

LakerMom

I am traveling with a group on the Holiday in 2 weeks. The leader of the group just sent out an email reminding everyone that they will need either a state ID or a drivers license to get on/off the ship.

Is this required for a 14 year old or is a student ID sufficient?

I am traveling with a group on the Holiday in 2 weeks. The leader of the group just sent out an email reminding everyone that they will need either a state ID or a drivers license to get on/off the ship.

The minimum age is 16 to have photo id...HOWEVER, we have always had photo IDS for both our boys since they were young.

We were able to get photo ids from their schools. If your child's student ID has a picture, I would take it.

If it doesn't, I am thinking that places like Walmart will make a simply photo generic id.

Thanks for the quick response. Her student ID does have a picture on it so I guess we are good to go. I was beginning to worry that getting her an ID was just one more thing I had to do.

This might be IN ADDITION TO your normal papers for the cruise (Berth Certificate/passport). The purpose of the state id can be to verify your state of residence if the cruise fare you got was based on a state discount. I always see that little disclaimer if you book through the website and that is why you have to enter your state, even if you are not doing airfare.

Some ports ask to see your S&S card & photo Id before allowing you past the check point to get back on the ship. We have been asked to show both at several ports over the last few years.

The CD usually makes a announcementto to remind everyone before leaving the ship.

You can get a state ID for any child-there is no minimum age.. You can even get them for a baby) I had to get my kids state IDs when there were 11 & 12 because they were flying across country to their father's for the summer. It was only a few dollars (I think $6 or $8) and it was definitely worth it---it made boarding the plane so much easier.

Barbie

There is no need for any type of photo ID for a child that is 14 years old. Carnival doesn't require it nor does the government. All the child needs to cruise is a certified copy of their birth certificate. (Of course if they have a passport that is a state issued photo ID).

Adults who are cursing will need a photo ID (either a DL or a passport) to enter the secure areas at most ports. It is not required to get on and off the ship, it is for the pots themselves. the ship has your picture in the security database and they use that as your photo ID as you enter the ship.

Hello LakerMom,

Your post only mentions that your TA told you that you need the photo ID, I'm just checking that the reason that you didn't mention the birth certificate requirement is only because your immediate area of concern is the photo ID for the child. You DO know that you need MORE than the state ID to board the ship at embarkation, right ?

These quotes are from the Know Before You Go Section on the Carnival page:

If you don't have a passport then:

U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license).

In addition to the above requirements' date=' all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo ID.[/quote']

One more quote from that page: (I included this last one, just in case the child in question will not have both parents along.)

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising' date=' we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.[/quote']

Good addition, Gayle. Folks can't be reminded often enough to have ALL the proper docs.

Sadly, I once saw a couple leaving the terminal - no cruise - because she had photo copies of their b/certs, not certified ones.:(

Nothing to add....except HI JOE! You're always a wealth of info, my friend. I didn't know that about private schools, and will pass it along to my sister who's taking her grandkids this month. Thx.:)

You can get a state ID for any child-there is no minimum age.. You can even get them for a baby) I had to get my kids state IDs when there were 11 & 12 because they were flying across country to their father's for the summer. It was only a few dollars (I think $6 or $8) and it was definitely worth it---it made boarding the plane so much easier.

Barbie

This is not quite accurate...Florida will not provide state-issued ID's for children under the age of 12, no matter who asks for it. Ident-A-Kid or some other organization will do it, but not an OFFICIAL one. We tried to get one for our son last year, before getting his passport, but to no avail.

Hello LakerMom,

QUOTE]

Gayle's post is not quite right. The notarized letter is needed for Carnival, but Mexico doesn't ask for such unless you are staying more than 24 hours. For a cruise all you need to get back on board is you S&S card for a child.

I don't remember ever using anything other than my sign n sail card for this. I believe that you only need official ID upon embarkation.

Marktac, I can only repeat that the quote in my post is merely a cut and paste directly from the Carnival site. I suppose it is entirely possible that Carnival is wrong about what is required. But if it were me, I'd be very hesitant to ignore the info from Carnival.

Marktac, I can only repeat that the quote in my post is merely a cut and paste directly from the Carnival site. I suppose it is entirely possible that Carnival is wrong about what is required. But if it were me, I'd be very hesitant to ignore the info from Carnival.

I agree, it's a bit confusing. There have been previous discussions on this with info posted from the State Department trying to clarify it. I'm speaking from experience over the past two years with a child we're currently adopting but not finalized. We get a letter from his mom, show it to Carnival when boarding, and then it goes in the safe. All we've ever used in Cozumel or Costa Maya is the S&S card to get back on the pier and on the ship.

Originally Posted by Carnival;

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Gayle's post is not quite right. The notarized letter is needed for Carnival, but Mexico doesn't ask for such unless you are staying more than 24 hours. For a cruise all you need to get back on board is you S&S card for a child.
Gayle's cut-n-paste from Carnival and Mark's post are both right and they both say that the letter for Mexico is not required unless debarking (not getting back on the ship when it leaves that day) in Mexico. It is recommended for all other purposes.

Archived