Westerdam a floating "Sizzler Restaurant"

TomXXX

:mad: We cruised on the Westerdam from 6/22 through 6/29. We had 10 people in our party and the rooms were good. The scenery was wonderful, but the food was terrible. Everyone in our party complained about the quality of the food. It was like eating in a "Sizzler Restaurant" for 7 days. We have been on more than 25 cruises all over the world and this was by far the worst food we ever experienced. The crew was very friendly, the ports were great and the tender service was organized very well. We will NOT be cruising on Holland America again !!

:mad: We cruised on the Westerdam from 6/22 through 6/29. We had 10 people in our party and the rooms were good. The scenery was wonderful, but the food was terrible. Everyone in our party complained about the quality of the food. It was like eating in a "Sizzler Restaurant" for 7 days. We have been on more than 25 cruises all over the world and this was by far the worst food we ever experienced. The crew was very friendly, the ports were great and the tender service was organized very well. We will NOT be cruising on Holland America again !!

What other cruise lines have you sailed on?

Which Sizzlers have you been to? They must be exceptionally good. :rolleyes:

Ladies and gentlemen,

A nice round of applause for TomXXX, Founder and CEO of Sizzler Inc.

give it up folks :)

We were on the same cruise but I guess we got different food. Only one complaint in the diningroom, the steaks were like leather, other than that the food good. Our breakfast in our room was excellant. My eggs were done to perfection each morning. I'm a good/fussy cook and I would be the first to complain. Sure it won't be just like home, well maybe better than some homes, but think about how many they are cooking for.

I took a class from a chef years ago and he told the class that when you are with a big group eating a meal order your steak one less then you like. Because steaks still cook a little after you take them off the grill. So, if you like medium rare order it rare. Worked evey time on our cruise. Try it next time. So sorry y'all did not like the food.

Never heard of Sizzlers. In what part of the U.S. are they located?

Happy you liked most of your cruise. Sorry you didn't care for the food. Can't please all the people all the time, I guess.

Hope the food on your next cruise is more to your taste.

Wow. We were on Westerdam last summer and Andreas was the Executive Chef. Our food was really really good (my Dh is a Chef) and soups were excellant.

Never heard of Sizzlers. In what part of the U.S. are they located?

Happy you liked most of your cruise. Sorry you didn't care for the food. Can't please all the people all the time, I guess.

Hope the food on your next cruise is more to your taste.

Sail

I have heard of them , but can't recall one being around here (Connecticut). I am assumeing they are a chain kind of like American Steak House , Ponderosa, or Beefsteak Charlies.

None of them were a threat to Peter Lugars by any means :)

Thanks. We're not too big on Longhorn and all those sorts but I'm sure I would have heard of them in they were in our area. Probably haven't reached the Northeast yet (thankfully??? :D )

Now that you mention it, I wonder if we have Ponderosa. I've heard of them but can't place a location that has one in our area.

Thanks. We're not too big on Longhorn and all those sorts but I'm sure I would have heard of them in they were in our area. Probably haven't reached the Northeast yet (thankfully??? :D )

Now that you mention it, I wonder if we have Ponderosa. I've heard of them but can't place a location that has one in our area.

They are around the New York/New Jersey area.

http://www.sizzler.com/locations/where_we_sizzle.asp

They just opened a Longhorn near us and we tried it a couple weeks ago. It was actually very good . No it wasn't Lugars or Ruth Cris . But for a chain steak house it was actually quite good.

Way better than the above places I mentioned

Probably like most chains.... some locations are better than others not to mention every place has a bad night. The one and only time we went, we 'didn't get lucky'. But they're still in business 5 years later which must mean many people have had a better experience than we did.

Probably like most chains.... some locations are better than others not to mention every place has a bad night. The one and only time we went, we 'didn't get lucky'. But they're still in business 5 years later which must mean many people have had a better experience than we did.

Thats like the Olive Garden. People around here LOVE it.

Granted I am Italian and grew up with the greatest Italian cooks ever (Grandmothers, Mom, aunts) so I may be a little more critical. But give me a break *LOL*. I "Didn't get lucky" twice :)

Even ordering a level below what we typically order, we found the steaks to be overdone each time on the Westerdam in December. I think it is very hard to cook to order when they are serving so many tables at the same time. IMHO, if you are a steak aficionado, it pays to invest the $20 extra to get your steak fix in the Pinnacle -- it's still way cheaper than Ruth's Chris but ours was similar quality and cooked to perfection.

I may have had other issues with the Westerdam in May, but I thought the food was good. My DH had a lot of steaks and, unlike the Volendam sailing last Fall, he thought the steaks were done perfectly. We were impressed - they were never overcooked.

Hi TMWY,

Your posts suggests that your DHhad a less favorable food experience

on the Volendam. Which only underscores that food can vary from ship

to ship, and sailing to sailing. While wishing no one a less than happy experience, it hardly seems the reason to write off an entire cruise line, as

Tom XXX would have us think.

Thanks for the positive note.

Archived