To MTNDriver on the PG

Thanks for your input. We are trying to make the decision between the Cook Islands and the Marquesas within 24 hours as we must decide no later than Monday.

This may be an odd question, but I'll ask it anyway. Can you give me some idea of the average age of the cruisers on your sailing? This will be our 5th or 6th cruise with Regent (prior on Radisson) but none before have been to warm weather climates. We are wondering if, at ages 68 and 70, we will be the oldest people aboard???? I don't think we look our age, and we certainly love to swim and snorkel, but am wondering about how we'd fit in with the crowd for other activities. Does anyone play bridge aboard your sailing?

How dressy is the code for dinner? On our prior cruises to this area (aboard Renaissance ships) , the dress code was pretty lax because of the hot weather. We're wondering if the PG relaxes their standards also.

Also, have you heard anything about other cruises not being able to get into the Cook Islands due to bad weather? I'd hate to select that particular cruise, only to find out that we can't get there, and so we miss the islands other than those we've already seen on past cruises. I can't find any postings that say that people couldn't get into the Marquesas, just those about the Cook Islands.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not MTNDriver but I'll give it a shot:

There will be many passengers your age and older. Many threads discussing Regent and Paul Gauguin passenger demographics exist but this is one seemed particularly relevant:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=669082&highlight=age

Dress code on the Paul Gaguin is pretty relaxed:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=794095&highlight=dress

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=550264&highlight=dress

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=564322&highlight=dress

Freckles, I would imagine you'd be spot-on age-wise. Yes, there will be plenty of younger people, perhaps in their late 40s or 50's. But plenty like you (and me--I'm 60, my husband's 64). I suspect on the longer itineraries the age skews up slightly--I've only been on the 7-day itinerary so far.

I have heard that sometimes the Cook's gets missed because of weather, yes. I've also read that one of the Marquesas islands is hard to tender-to as well, and is sometimes passed by (less of an issue probably.)

As for looking your age, just think of it this way: "this is was 68 looks like!"

As Wendy points out, you will probably be in the same age range as many of the passengers. There are also a fair number who are older and a few (usually younger) on their honeymoons. There are about ten kids on this sailing

But no matter what the age, everyone seems more friendly with the other passengers and crew than any ship I have been on. Sort of a small town atmosphere.

I have not been to the Cook Islands, and this is our first trip to the Marquesas. We are glad we did the Marquesas and there is a lot to see (inland), but it does require 3+ sea days. The tenders are are indeed a lot more exciting as the Marquesas are not protected by barrier reefs like the Societies. I think we will stick to the Societies in the future (and maybe back-to-back seven day sailings).

As to dress code: During the day, shorts and tee shirts are fine, even in the dining rooms. At night most men are wearing nice Hawaian shirts and Docker sort of slacks are the norm. Ladies are wearing nice pants (even capries) or dresses, but not anything too fancy. It REALLY is casual.

Well, here we sit on the pool deck looking out at Moorea. Very beautiful, but it is hard to cope with the fact that this is our last night in paradise.

All you 7/16 passengers...it's only a few hours now (I assume you are already in French Polynesia or are on the plane from LAX).

I just returned from an 11 day on the PG to the Marquesas, Tuamotus and Society islands. Trust me when I say that there were more 40 somethings that did NOTHING but sit on board and not participate in anything exciting . I am in my 70's and very very active - work out daily and golf 4x/week. We had a ball and did just about everything in terms of shore excursions etc. (except for scuba). If you feel your age, you will look your "age" and then act your "age". Go for it.

Archived