Running

Scorpiorose

One of the nice features of HAL ships is a complete wrap around teak deck for walking or jogging. I think it is about three laps on the Vista class ships to make a mile.
Not on all HAL ships, if you are referring to the Promenade. Jogging is tolerated (but discouraged) on the Vista Promenades, but prohibited on the R&S class ships because there are cabins below the Promenade. All HAL ships allow jogging on the Sports deck around the Lido pool roof etc.

Yes, it's 3 laps per mile on the Vistas.

so there is a sports walk/run desk for running on Oosterdam! Sometimes, it's tough to run on those tread mills with the ship rocking....:o

All runners are on the Promenade Deck -- it is not discouraged there -- in fact you will share the space with walkers.

There is no official running track on the Observation Deck on the Oosterdam because of the basketball court on one side the "tennis" area on the other side.

On the Noordam, my SIL was (after about the 3rd day) told by the gym staff that she could not run on the Promenade deck. This, after she was given dirty looks by walkers, and told to go run somewhere else. Someone evidently complained about her running.

I walked the 5K for the Susan G. Komen fundraiser, around the Promenade and it's a pretty good walking area.

if you can walk why would someone complain about a person running as long as they run around people. The problems I've had is walker walking 2 or 3 together with no room to pass, but usually ppl are nice about it. Can't believe someone complained!

I usually get up before other walkers and runners just to not have a problem!

All runners are on the Promenade Deck -- it is not discouraged there -- in fact you will share the space with walkers.
On the Zuiderdam my DD was "asked" by the events staff not to jog on the promenade because they considered it "dangerous" to be going faster than the general flow. Before she was "asked" that, she told me she had gotten some "dirty looks" and muttered comments, so apparently someone eventually complained. Also, although most people walk counter-clockwise, not all do, and the staff was worried about collisions.
On the Noordam, my SIL was (after about the 3rd day) told by the gym staff that she could not run on the Promenade deck. This, after she was given dirty looks by walkers, and told to go run somewhere else. Someone evidently complained about her running.

I walked the 5K for the Susan G. Komen fundraiser, around the Promenade and it's a pretty good walking area.

Particularly during the Komen walk jogging is highly discouraged because of the large number of people out there.

if you can walk why would someone complain about a person running as long as they run around people. The problems I've had is walker walking 2 or 3 together with no room to pass, but usually ppl are nice about it. Can't believe someone complained!
Well, from what I've seen, MOST walkers walk two together, and often are three or four abreast when fast walkers pass slower walkers.

BTW on the Eurodam they've solved the Sports deck loop problem by putting the basketball and volleyball/paddleball courts up on the 11th deck, behind the Tamarind, although I've never seen what the problem was in doing a U-turn each time one reached the courts on other ships. :D

I was on the Oosterdam a couple of years ago, ran the Promenade deck daily and didn't get any complaints. Perhaps things have changed since then; if so, an alternative that I've used on the Rotterdam and Ryndam (ships where running is not allowed on the Prom. due to rooms below) is to use the area that surrounds the swimming pool dome. It's not great in that it's basically a rectangle, with sharp, narrow corners to negotiate (probably 15 laps to the mile). Nonetheless, it beats the treadmill IMO. I believe it's on what they term the "Observation Deck" on the Oosterdam.

For 26 days on the Westerdam -- there were quite a few runners on the Promenade Deck just this past April/May. No one said anything to them.

We have also sailed on the Oosterdam and Zuiderdam -- runners on the Promenade Deck.

I was on the Oosterdam a couple of years ago, ran the Promenade deck daily and didn't get any complaints.
What we have here is yet another of the many, many inconsistencies between HAL ships, and even the same ship over time. So, Scorpiorose, try it! You may be asked to stop, or get some grumbling from people you pass, and you may not!

Why not run on the treadmill? Lots of people do. Unless there's high seas, the ship is very smooth and stable. The view out the front is rather nice also, but there isn't the fresh sea air element there.

I personally have never seen running on the promenade deck of the Oosterdam, but I don't doubt it does happen--just that I've never seen it. There are usually groups of people walking together.

There's a sign posted on the Promenade deck of the Noordam that says no jogging. But I can attest that there were plenty of people jogging on any given morning. Don't know if anyone said anything to them about it. I personally don't mind if someone jogs past me while I'm walking as long as they don't run me over. Came pretty close a couple of times! I ended up with a bruised hip bone by being thrown up against the inside rail when a couple of joggers came by at a corner.

well, I do run on the treadmill in winter but A - it isn't as good of a work out B - I have a touch of virtigo - put that together with a rocking ship and a narrow tread....ah I fell off twice on the Vision last year C - They are often taken or the expectation is a 20 min. run - I run for an hour!

If all else fails I try the tread mill, but I usually get up at about 5:30 am, run, then go down and sleep before the crowd of walkers hit. Would that work do you thinK?

I usually get up at about 5:30 am, run, then go down and sleep before the crowd of walkers hit. Would that work do you thinK?
That would be better than later, IMO. Or try the Sports deck. It is a bit narrower, but at that hour you shouldn't have to contend with much traffic.

My SIL was training for a marathon and ran on Promenade on the Oosterdam when we were onboard in 2005. She always ran early, VERY early, and the only problem she had was with the crew one morning. They picked up her ball cap (which she had removed due to wind and left on a deck chair) and it had her room key in the lining! She found it at the Front Desk. Now, that's efficient! :D

No running was allowed on the Volendam's Promenade last Fall. I took this photo to show my SIL so she can get her complaining about it done in advance. Heh.

Robin

2456841910095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

No running was allowed on the Volendam's Promenade last Fall.
And that IS important because of the cabins below.

Off topic: how is the "housing situation" doing in Fairbanks? Is he back in his normal place? Were there any later problems since your last email? :)

And that IS important because of the cabins below.

:)

On the Vistas there are no staterooms below the promenade deck. Deck 2 is all public areas. I've been on all 4 Vistas and there are always people running on deck 3 early AM when I walk. I've never seen anyone complain or be complained to.. are those "no jogging" signs on the Vistas too? If so, I never noticed. In fact somewhere in the literature I believe it says that if you wish to jog on the promenade.. bring workout clothing... but I could be imagining that .. maybe it says walk? I always walk, but as I said, there are joggers there and nobody seems bothered. But that's always early morning. I suppose if I was strolling the deck in formal wear later in the afternoon or evening it might be annoying to have people jogging by... but even then I don't think I'd say anything...

On the Vistas there are no staterooms below the promenade deck.
Yes, I know. I was answering Robin's post/picture about the Volendam.
as I said, there are joggers there and nobody seems bothered.... but even then I don't think I'd say anything...
As I said a few posts back, my DD was "asked" not to jog on the Zuiderdam, so somebody "minded".

We just returned from the Volendam, were we stayed on Deck 2. We were woken up every morning between 6-7:30 by people jogging over our beds (the head boards were up against the outer hull). Guess they thought that if they got up early enough they wouldn't bother anyone.

We did have a medical evaucation one evening and the rumor was that a jogger slipped and fell. I don't know the truth to that one.

Carol

How is the deck on the Oosterdam? Does anyone know what a mile is around it, or maybe I should ask, is there a designated running space?

I had no difficulties running on the promenade deck when I was on the Westerdam about 18 months ago. In fact, it was a most wonderful experience while the ship was underway. There were no signs or prohibitions or dirty looks. You definitely will need to be careful of people strolling along, lost in their own world…and who can blame them. Just be courteous (I’m sure you will) and don’t expect to make your best time – you’ll need to slow down often to get around people walking abreast.

I know what you mean about treadmills. They are vertigo-inducing when on dry land, much less on a rocking ship….even a gently rocking one. The elliptical machines were good, though. The view high up over the bow is fantastic, giving the illusion that your pedaling is actually propelling the ship.

Enjoy your cruise on the O.

Archived