Need help quickly - #7688 or cheaper D2???

lulybellsea

We are booked in corner aft balcony #7688 on the Voyager out of Galveston for $1069. The D2's are currently "on sale" so to speak for $899 which is the same price as an oceanview. The available cabins are forward by the elevators. I know we won't be bothered by the noise and I know that the D2's are larger cabins. Here's my question ... is the balcony on #7688 covered? We've been in both #1688 and #9690. I'd rebook #1688 just because of the size of the room but we didn't care for the balcony as it's only partially covered and also obstructed. #9690 isn't covered at all and we found it to be very hot. What about $7688??? Is it covered? Is it worth the extra money? Quick replies are appreciated! THANK YOU!

Whether it's covered or not, aft balconies don't get the wind that the side balconies do, so it'll be hotter there.

Personally, since there are only 2 of us in a cabin, a side balcony near elevators is ideal! We really don't need a huge balcony--after all, we're not hosting a party back there!

Sunning is best done on an upper deck anyway.

Here is a partial picture of our balcony on the Mariner (layout should be the same). We had 7388 and our friends had 7688. I would take the cabin! The balcony is HUGE and you get the best of both worlds; sun and shade.

2298632090064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2013579950064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2437345640064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2163984790064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

Stay where you are. 7388 is the best cabin on the aft.

Shade and sun and HUGE balcony

Thanks for the replies and the pictures! Folks on this board are just great. Yes, we're sticking with #7688. It never fails that if I had switched to the D2 for $899 to save money that within a month, the E1 would have a senior or military special. #7688 looks better to me than #1688 as we do enjoy sitting outside and watching the world go by.

Now I have another question. Have any of you stayed in #1688 and also #7688? I suppose it would come down to a personal choice of a huge balcony or spacious corner room at a D1 price.

I've been in both (we've sailed in 1688 many times and have visited 7688 but not sailed in it)and you are correct that it is a personal choice as to which feature is more important to you...bigger cabin or bigger balcony. We prefer 1688, for the HUGE cabin and fairly large balcony. 7688's balcony is absolutely awesome, but I found the cabin itself to feel too small for our comfort, so when given the choice we always go with 1688. But I think if I had to choose between 7688 and a "regular" category D1, I'd take 7688 in a heartbeat.

I've been in both (we've sailed in 1688 many times and have visited 7688 but not sailed in it)and you are correct that it is a personal choice as to which feature is more important to you...bigger cabin or bigger balcony. We prefer 1688, for the HUGE cabin and fairly large balcony. 7688's balcony is absolutely awesome, but I found the cabin itself to feel too small for our comfort, so when given the choice we always go with 1688. But I think if I had to choose between 7688 and a "regular" category D1, I'd take 7688 in a heartbeat.
The information that you've provided for this board is invaluable and so appreciated by all of us! We've also stayed in #1688 and loved having the extra space. It would be our #1 choice (in fact, we have that cabin booked on 2 or 3 other cruises.) I don't normally an over-the-door shoe hanger but for some reason, I threw it in for our Mariner voyage when we were in #1688. The location of the desk/vanity was so convenient as the door hanger was within arm's reach. Wish all of the staterooms were designed like that! Anyway, we're sticking with #7688 on the Voyager rather than grabbing the $899 D2 price reduction. My husband is retired Navy so he doesn't care where we stay but I know I'd miss that aft balcony. Again, thank you for your reply as you've validated my thoughts on a larger, cheaper side balcony as opposed to #7688. In the meantime, I'll watch to see if by chance - and a miracle - #1388 or #1688 becomes available. You just never know ...

I do check for military rates and grab them when offered. However, those rates seem to be few and far between. But it pays to keep checking and rechecking to see about various rate reductions. Thanks for the tip!

Archived