Seward Area

csr221

Hi Everyone! We'll be landing in ANC around 1230 on a Sat. We've reserved a car to drive to Seward, bought the 2008 Milepost. We thought we'd lollygag on the way down, the boretide is supposed to come in at 2pm, thought we'd look for beluga whales, grab a bite to eat somewhere. Once in Seward, thought we'd go to Exit Glacier, eat some supper and find our way to the Silver Lining B&B. Sunday we have a full day w Major Marine and thought we'd end it with some sundowners and munchies at the harbor. Monday we'll need to leave early to be available for 1230 transportation to Whittier. I'd appreciate any answers, comments and reccomendations. Is anyone familiar with the boretide? Is it a cool thing to see? Is there a recommended Beluga spotting site? How long is a 3 hour lollygagging drive? Any fun food stops after the boretides? How much time should we expect to spend at Exit Glacier driving to it, having our 1st glacier glimpse (well, hubby's, not mine, but that's another story--30 yrs erases a lot!). I'm expecting daylight until around 10pm last 2 wks of Aug? Any blueberries to be found easily and safely? Recommendations for Seward sundowners? Will the 3 hr drive back to ANC airport on a Monday morning really be 3 hrs? I'm thinking if we leave around 0830, get in about 1130, gives us an hr to grab some sandwiches, return the car and be ready for 1230 p/u. I appreciate any of your attention. Carol

• 2 weeks later...

Exit Glacier is an average of 2 hours for lower trails and 8 hours for the Harding Ice Field trail.

Eat dinner at the Salmon Bake on Exit Glacier road after your hike at the glacier.

I've never been excited by the bore tide. It's alot more exciting watching the windsurfers. If your waiting on the bore tide there's no chance of whales as they swim in on high tide and bore is at low tide.

Anc-Seward is a little over 2 hours with no delays and doing the speed limit but during summer it seems something is always slowing things down.

Your 3 hour return to Anc should be about right. I'd allow an extra 30 mins for that just in case thing and getting sandwiches.

The non-profit Alaska Conservation Center near Portage is a good place to see orphaned and rescued moose, bears etc.

Exit Glacier is an average of 2 hours for lower trails and 8 hours for the Harding Ice Field trail.

Eat dinner at the Salmon Bake on Exit Glacier road after your hike at the glacier.

I've never been excited by the bore tide. It's alot more exciting watching the windsurfers. If your waiting on the bore tide there's no chance of whales as they swim in on high tide and bore is at low tide.

Anc-Seward is a little over 2 hours with no delays and doing the speed limit but during summer it seems something is always slowing things down.

Your 3 hour return to Anc should be about right. I'd allow an extra 30 mins for that just in case thing and getting sandwiches.

The non-profit Alaska Conservation Center near Portage is a good place to see orphaned and rescued moose, bears etc.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your responses. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I ran into a little personal problem. I emailed a gent on Virtual Tourist who wrote back, said the same thing about the bore tides-- a bit too long to wait, no whales to see. He suggests we head over to Girdwood, take the tram up, maybe catch the boat to Portage Glacier. He also said it should be light until about midnight (I was thinking 10pm, but then he's the expert!) and that would give us plenty of time at Exit.

Sounds like thinks are quite cool and rainy this summer--pretty normal, eh? It might be good to just play things by ear then in case things get too socked in.

Any more info would be appreciated!

Carol

I too have to agree, I've seen a bore tide, OK, I saw it. :) nothing I would make much effort to experience. As for belugas, rare to see, and if they are in the arm, you won't miss them. People will be in all the pull offs watching. Just join them. Have binoculars.

Seward/Anchorage definately needs a 3 hour timeframe. I think you are actually cutting your timeframe too tight, if you want a meal before your transfer. You are not counting on any traffic, gassing up, or return lines. You have an airport pick up for your tranfer??

It is not light at midnight end of August, and twilight at 10 pm, not daylight. Inside passage way less.

Archived