any thoughts?

fizzy

My TA has said that it would be a good idea for us to upgrade the Amex gold card to the platinum card. One of the immediate perks seems to be a cabin upgrade. We are booked in a Silver suite on the Cloud next spring, deck 7. Would anybody know what type of cabin this might mean? Thanks for any ideas.

From what we know, the true platinum card (with $300 annual fee) will give you $300 per cabin shipboard credit, a bottle of Dom Perignon, a bridge tour and cocktail with the officers, but no cabin upgrade. Host Dan seemed to be an expert in this topic, perhaps he can clarify this.

Fizzy, Meow is right. There is no cabin upgrade on Silversea. That perk is on the mass market lines which have many cabin categories. You get the $300 shipboard credit. Silversea will increase that to $450 if you don't want the Dom Perignon, since Silversea already provides good complimentary champagne. On our most recent Whisper cruise, the other Platinum Perk was a galley tour with the executive chef rather than a bridge tour. A bridge tour is already available to all guests each cruise.

I thought everybody could join the galley tour, not only those with platinum cards. On our Panama Canal voyage aboard the Shadow last December, we had a bridge tour, a galley tour, a poolside special barbeque buffet dinner and even a laundry room tour (with a small group of thirteen at the special request of another passenger). It is so pleasant to think back that we have tried just about everything Silversea has to offer! (Of course, we didn't have the grand send-offs and returns given only to those odyssey and world cruisers .. meow!)

The Amex platinum fee is up to $395 per year. This would include upgrades on lines like HAL, but not the luxe lines. The perks previously mentioned in this thread are in effect. You may want to book with a Virtuoso agent, or the like, that gives shipboard credits through their Travel Agency. Those perks are not combinable with AMEX perks, so the platinum card wouldn't be helpful.

Host Dan

I believe you also get free medivac insurance with amex platinum. Saved friends of ours big bucks when they were medivaced from the middle of the pacific ocean.

Danny

IT'S A GOOD DEAL, BUT YOU DO HAVE TO PAY FOR IT! I CAN'T REMEMBER THE COST, BUT IT'S NOT UNREASONABLE! DON

My TA says he discussed getting an additional $150 credit by waiving the Dom with Silversea, and they don't have such an option. Wellseasoned, where did you get this information? I'd much rather the shipboard credit than more champagne, even Dom :o.

The AMX platinum fee is $450 now. We just received both the credit and the champagne on a May Silversea cruise. I also had a long discussion with AMX and it is true that there is Medivac insurance that has benn added relatively recently.

Peter & Kathy, we finished back to back cruises on the Whisper in May. When we booked those, paying with the Amex platinum card, I mentioned that the Dom wasn't important to us. Our agent, who is with Silversea's own reservations office, said that other customers had also mentioned this, and they would be happy to increase the shipboard credit by $150 instead of providing the Dom. And they did. I assumed that this is now an option, but maybe you have to book through them, or maybe the person your TA contacted was unaware of this option.

The AMX platinum fee is $450 now. We just received both the credit and the champagne on a May Silversea cruise. I also had a long discussion with AMX and it is true that there is Medivac insurance that has benn added relatively recently.

I wonder why your annual fee is $450, and mine is $395 (just paid last month). Maybe because my card is Business Platinum??

Host Dan

What about special rates for Realtors as they are making no money at the moment.:)

i signed up for President Bush's "No CEO left behind," so there may be some relief for executives who have been furloughed. but in this case, on the cruise they don't need lifevests since they already have "parachutes."

The Silver Suite is FABULOUS! I, personally, prefer it to even the higher categories (of which there really aren't many). It features a sleeping room that's separate from the rest of the suite with gorgeous wooden and glass doors, a exit to the bathroom from the inside of the sleeping area so you don't have to wake the other person. This is on the Shadow and Whisper, at least. Don't do a thing--you'll LOVE the Silver Suite!

• 3 weeks later...
Peter & Kathy, we finished back to back cruises on the Whisper in May. When we booked those, paying with the Amex platinum card, I mentioned that the Dom wasn't important to us. Our agent, who is with Silversea's own reservations office, said that other customers had also mentioned this, and they would be happy to increase the shipboard credit by $150 instead of providing the Dom. And they did. I assumed that this is now an option, but maybe you have to book through them, or maybe the person your TA contacted was unaware of this option.

Wellseasoned

I regularly book directly with Silverseas and yet they said this has never been done. Could you provide your booking number for the May Whisper trip so I can prove them wrong. Thanks in advance.

We use both AMEX and Virtuoso. Since you must opt for one these days, it depends on the itineraries and if we have been there, etc. In effect, if you sail more than once a year, AMEX is actually paying your dues and giving you a bene too! The Silver Suites on the smaller ships are basically 2 suites with the adjoining wall reconfigured. They have the same small bathroom, both verandas, a living room, dining area and the smallish bedroom is closed off by doors. There are only 3 on the ships but there will be 4 more added when the refit is done in drydock. The older ones are not as sophisticated as the Shadow and the Whisper since they predated them. Hope that all helps!

The older ones are not as sophisticated as the Shadow and the Whisper since they predated them. Hope that all helps!
If one tries the basic suite of the Shadow/Whisper first and then the Cloud/Wind, will it feel like a "let down"? Do you know what the whole month drydock refurbishment will be like? Are they giving some more information on the newbuild Spirit or are they still secretive about that? Thank you.

If one tries the basic suite of the Shadow/Whisper first and then the Cloud/Wind, will it feel like a "let down"? DoQUOTE]

The suite was not a letdown, Meow, but I'm afraid that the bathroom was a bit of a letdown. After having a double sink and a separate tub and shower, it is somewhat disappointing not to have those things. And yet, the bathrooms on the Cloud/Wind are still larger than any mainline cruise ship.

Archived