HAL. Room service and skipping the formal nights

lovesublime

We're considering cruising either on HAL or Celebrity this fall. I know I'll probably get a lot of sarcastic remarks here, but I have to ask. After our most recent cruise, on Carnival (we are most definitely not carnivores) we've realized that we're just not 'dress up' people. We have previously cruised on RCI, and NCL as well as our recent Carnival cruise. We are desperate to try a line that doesn't bombard the pax with continual announcements.

Does HAL have the type of room service where we could order whatever is being served in the dining room? Also, is there an alternative to the dining room on formal nights ie....a Lido buffet or something like it? On the Carnival cruise, we had a couple of late evening excursions with us not returning to the ship until late. Our choices were room service sandwiches or pizza when we really wanted real food. We're looking at either the Westerdam or Eurodam and would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

As long as it is during normal dining hours, you can order anything on the dining room menu for delivery to your cabin. Yes, there are alternative dining venues such as the buffet on Lido Deck.

Next month we will be on the Westerdam for our first cruise EVER.:D Very excited as we received our documents today!:) We also will not be attending any of the formal nights. From what I understand you can order room service and receive the same menu items as the dining room if you place your order within a certain time frame and the Lido is also available. There seems to be a lot of discussion concerning formal nights I've noticed. At first we were going to attend at least one of the formal evenings but we are going to be very limited in our luggage space. There will be 7 of us travelling to Seattle from Pittsburgh the week before the cruise and we all need to fit in one rental vehicle. You can imagine how creative we will need to be in packing with my 15 and 17 year old sons, twins that just turned 20, one 9 year old and two adult parents. Only us adults are going on the cruise but still we have these luggage issues and since formals are not really my DH's cup of tea we're not going to participate this time around.:rolleyes:

diane

lovesublime,

As cruzman said, the DR menu is available for room service during DR hours. Also, there is table service in the Lido. There are nice linens and stemware, you select your appetizer, soup and desert as you would for a buffet,your main course is served. On our last cruise (Ryndam Mexican Rivera) we decided not to do formal nights for the first time since we began cruising; this was our first experience ever not eating dinner in the DR. We had such a wonderful time in the Lido that we only made it to the DR once after that. So do what makes you comfortable, either room service or the Lido are great options if you don't choose to dress up. If you have never cruised HAL you are in for a treat. Not only are the ships beautiful and the service exceptional, but we have met many wonderful friends on board.

Susan

As long as it is during normal dining hours, you can order anything on the dining room menu for delivery to your cabin.

This brings up a question about room service on HAL. The last time I cruised with Princess, I noticed they had implemented a service charge (tip) for room service.

The logic was... you were not eating in the dining rooms, and since your Auto-Tip covered the dining rooms, they would need to add a tip for room service.

So... how does HAL handle room service tips?

Next month we will be on the Westerdam for our first cruise EVER.:D Very excited as we received our documents today!:) We also will not be attending any of the formal nights. From what I understand you can order room service and receive the same menu items as the dining room if you place your order within a certain time frame and the Lido is also available. There seems to be a lot of discussion concerning formal nights I've noticed. At first we were going to attend at least one of the formal evenings but we are going to be very limited in our luggage space. There will be 7 of us travelling to Seattle from Pittsburgh the week before the cruise and we all need to fit in one rental vehicle. You can imagine how creative we will need to be in packing with my 15 and 17 year old sons, twins that just turned 20, one 9 year old and two adult parents. Only us adults are going on the cruise but still we have these luggage issues and since formals are not really my DH's cup of tea we're not going to participate this time around.:rolleyes:

diane

Wow sounds like you'll be lucky to just get luggage for 7 people in that rental, let alone people........Good Luck

We are desperate to try a line that doesn't bombard the pax with continual announcements.

I only cruised once, this past June on HAL's Volendam. Seriously, I heard very few announcements. I had read so much about cruise ships being pushy and I was very surprised to find that it was not so on the Volendam. You got a flyer each day that was promoting various things going on the ship the following day, but in my mind, that is not pressure. I vaguely remember hearing a few announcements, but nothing that was bothersome or often. I was even impressed in the Crow's Nest Lounge. When you arrived, they asked if you wanted a drink. If you said no, they never bothered you again, unless you called them over. We often sat for quite a long time and no one made us feel unwelcome if we chose not to drink that time.

This brings up a question about room service on HAL. The last time I cruised with Princess, I noticed they had implemented a service charge (tip) for room service.

The logic was... you were not eating in the dining rooms, and since your Auto-Tip covered the dining rooms, they would need to add a tip for room service.

I thought the auto-tip covered more that just the dining room staff but also the cabin steward and some other people working behind the scenes.

I thought the auto-tip covered more that just the dining room staff but also the cabin steward and some other people working behind the scenes.

Well... that's what I used to think until Princess added an area for TIPS on the door hanger for room service breakfast. This is something I just noticed on last years summer cruise.

This will be our first HAL cruise, so that's why I asked if HAL did things different or the same as Princess

You can certainly order whatever is on the main menu for room service as long as you order it while the dining room is open. It can get a wee bit crowded in your room, however! I would eat in the buffet if I wanted a nice meal without the "dress up" factor. I know what you mean, when the cruise really gets going I am exhausted after days in port or by the pool. Truly, the LAST thing I want to do is put on a formal gown. I really enjoy the formal night experience, however. So it's a tough call. I usually skip one formal night. But now, with the luggage restrictions, I might just bail on them altogether. I have enough formal pictures!

I noticed that you mentioned that you got back from some excursions late but you didn;t say how late.

The Lido is open till around 8:30 on most ships. It is buffet for your salad and desserts. But you place your order for dinner and then it is delivered to your table - you will be given a number so they know what table to deliver your dinner to. The menu is very similar to the dining room -- maybe 1 or 2 items from the dining room won't be there. On the last formal night there is lobster in the dining room -- there won't be any in the Lido.

For room service, you must call within the first half hour of the dining room opening. That means that since the ships have AYWD and it begins at 5:15, you will have to place your order from 5:15 until 5:45 for any time that you wish to eat that evening. And you can order anything from the main dining room menu including the lobster on the last formal night.

There isn't any tip or service charge for room service. The $10 per person auto tips covers this. The cabin steward gets $3.50 from that, the dining room staff splits $3.50. The other $3 is divided between all the other staff and the behind the scenes staff.

Most people do hand a cash tip to the person who delivers the food. How much you wish to tip -- that's up to you.

Should you miss the Lido or are too late to call room service to order from the regular dining room menu, these items are available:

Available 24 hours:

Smoked Atlantic Salmon - pickled red onion, capers & cream cheese

Mesclun Garden Greens - tomato, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & blue cheese crumbles

Triple Decker Club Sandwich - sliced turkey, ham, bacon, tomato & lettuce served on toasted bread of your choice

All American Hamburger - broiled 1/4 pound beef patty on a sesame bun with dill pickle & coleslaw - add cheddar or Swiss cheese

Open faced Omelet - ham & cheese or vegetables

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Apple tart with whipped cream

Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce

A plate of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk

Fruit salad - selected fruits in season

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

Smoked Atlantic Salmon

French onion soup baked with Gruyere cheese

Soup of the day

Salads:

Mesclun Garden Greens

Chef salad - mixed greens, ham, salami, swiss cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg - choice of Italian or blue cheese dressing

Caesar salad - tossed with Caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan - add bay shrimp or grilled chicken breast

Sandwiches & Burgers:

All are served with a choice of potato salad or potato chips

Triple decker club sandwich

Broiled California chicken breast sandwich on multi=grain bread with avocado & honey mustard sauce

Grilled tuna melt - tuna salad & Swiss cheese on rye bread with pickle spears

Thai Vegetarian wrap - eggplant, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts & cilantro rolled with rice & green curry sauce in a tomato tortilla

Steak sandwich - sirloin steak on sourdough bread sauteed with onion & bell pepper

All American Hamburger

Entrees:

Seared salmon steak - dill-lime fusion, broccoli florets, carrot batonnet & country mashed potatoes

Penne Primavera - tossed in marinara sauce with Italian roasted vegetables - add grilled chicken breast

Pizza:

margarita (tomato sauce & cheese)

Pepperoni

Vegetarian (mushroom & bell pepper)

Desserts:

Apple tart

Chocolate cake

Creme caramel surrounded in berry compote

Fruit jello

fruit salad

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

HAL doesn't handle that, you do. It's kinda like tipping on a land venue; tip what you feel the service dictates. We usually tip at least a couple of bucks for room service; probably more for a full dinner service.

Does HAL have the type of room service where we could order whatever is being served in the dining room? Also, is there an alternative to the dining room on formal nights ie....a Lido buffet or something like it? On the Carnival cruise, we had a couple of late evening excursions with us not returning to the ship until late. Our choices were room service sandwiches or pizza when we really wanted real food. We're looking at either the Westerdam or Eurodam and would appreciate any insight. Thanks!
Okay, here I go! :)

Yes, HAL has room service and you can order off the dining room menu as long as you order during the time dinner is being served. But, I don't know what kind of cabin you are considering ... if you don't have room (like on a balcony or enough room in the cabin) to spread out, it's gonna be difficult eating on the bed.

Yes, HAL has a Lido and that is the "casual" dining venue. Basically no dress code there ... jeans, tee-shirts, flip flops, it's all acceptable. Make sure to check what hours dinner is served there on your ship. It's usually something like 6:00 to 7:30 and they do dinner really nice up there. You go through the line for your sides and salad, soup and whatnot, and then they bring your main course to your table. All of the tables are adorned with table cloths at night. It's really nice. And, the menu is basically the same as is being served in the regular dining room. I think the Eurodam also has some sort of Italian Restaurant in the Lido as well ... a separate area ... no extra charge. But, I don't know much about that because it's only on that one new ship.

Now, here's where I'm gonna get into trouble ...

The Westerdam is a Vista class ship. The Eurodam is a Signature class ship. I would assume you're sailing some sort of Alaska itinerary? Seven days? If so, you're gonna find the whole onboard environment rather casual because it will be a lot of families. People aren't going to get too dressed up in Alaska, just as they wouldn't in the Caribbean.

Personally, I would say that if you dress nicely (no tee-shirts or shorts or jeans or flip flips) you could probably get away with going to the dining room on formal night. As long as everyone looks their best in casual clothing, I can't imagine you being turned away ... especially in this age of airline baggage limits.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The Lido is open till around 8:30 on most ships.

This must be something new then. When I sailed my last HAL cruise in April 2007, the Lido was only open for dinner until around 7:00 or so. That's the main argument I had with that dining venue.

However, they also had late night buffets up there ... I think around 11:00 or so ... each night a different theme; Italian, Mexican, etc. That's another option if one gets back REALLY late from a shore excursion.

However, as an added note, I can't imagine a shore excursion running that late that didn't feed the passengers.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You can certainly order whatever is on the main menu for room service as long as you order it while the dining room is open. It can get a wee bit crowded in your room, however!

That's exactly why I only order room service for snacks and maybe for an early breakfast if I had a shore excursion that day. Unless you have a nice-sized cabin or a balcony, it gets really tight to try to eat a whole meal in there. You'd have nowhere to put everything except on the bed ... and who wants to eat sitting on the bed?

I'd sooner head up to the Lido and be comfortable while I ate.

Blue skies ...

--rita

This must be something new then. When I sailed my last HAL cruise in April 2007, the Lido was only open for dinner until around 7:00 or so. That's the main argument I had with that dining venue.

However, they also had late night buffets up there ... I think around 11:00 or so ... each night a different theme; Italian, Mexican, etc. That's another option if one gets back REALLY late from a shore excursion.

However, as an added note, I can't imagine a shore excursion running that late that didn't feed the passengers.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Those were the dining times on the Westerdam for the AYWD in April/May and for our Ryndam cruise last Nov/Dec as we also had AYWD.

Yes there are some excursions that are late in the day.

Seeing as the ship sails most days about 5 P.M. (sure there are some exceptions), you will be back aboard in time to eat in Lido or.....you missed the ship and you will have more to worry about than what time Lido closes. :D

As to tipping Room Service. It is discretionary but I cannot imagine Not tipping those great stewards at least something. Unless there is some severe reason not to, who wouldn't tip them??? If the situation is extreme, please take it up with a supervisor as it may not be the stewards fault. He cannot deliver was hasn't be given to him by galley staff to deliver. We always have tip money ready as the stewards do not linger waiting for a tip. They deliver and head back to the door. We are prepared so we can hand it to him as he sets out our order.

Some of the dining hours we had:

Lido:

Continental Breakfast - 6:30 - 11:00 am

Full breakfast - 7:00 - 10:30 am

Full buffet lunch: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm

Deli etc: 11:30 am - 5:00 pm

Full dinner: 6:30 - 9:00 pm

Late snack: 11:30 pm - 1:00 am

Dining room dinner (open seating):

Early seating: 6:30 pm

Late seating: 8:45 pm

Are these hours different from regular Caribbean cruises?

Well... that's what I used to think until Princess added an area for TIPS on the door hanger for room service breakfast. This is something I just noticed on last years summer cruise.

This will be our first HAL cruise, so that's why I asked if HAL did things different or the same as Princess

It is customary to tip the person delivering room service a few bucks. We have only done coffee or breakfast in the morning and I would give a dollar or two. (Am I cheap?! :eek:)

Perhaps the Princess tag is just giving you the option to charge that tip to your account as a convenience. I don't recall if it was on the tags when we were on the Caribbean Princess in 2007.

So, if one does tip for room service, what currency do you use? We pay for everything else in USD, but we'll also have local currency (in our case NZ and AUS dollars) to use on shore. Most of the crew are Indonesian, which uses yet another currency. So which do you use to tip?

HAL slips to not have the option of adding a tip to them. Seeing as Room Service is complimentary, there is no slip anyway.

I was referring to the card you can hang on your door for breakfast orders and assumed the poster referred to that on Princess.

Archived