What does everyone think about this?

DeRon

I can definately see both sides of the debate. The ship looks really exciting. It would be fun just to walk through it to see all the details and the way they set everything up. Also, I love the clean modern lines. I like modern/danish modern design. I don't feel the need to pretend I'm back in victorian, or edwardian, or any other time in history. My home decor is modern. Everyone's taste is differnent. While I've appreciate the beauty of the cruise ships I've sailed on it would be nice to be excited about the design and interior decor.

On the other side I love the feeling of being at sea. I wonder if the ships get too large we would lose that. I love running into the same person going to the lounge to see the comedian that you struck up a conversation with having breakfast on deck. The larger the number of people the less likely this would happen.

I would go and try it. I think a lot of people will. It will be something exciting to see and experience. The big question is will I go back to it? I can't answer that til I experience it.

We just got off the Independence of the Seas. We were worried it would be too big, but we loved it! In fact, my husband, my daughter and I all commented that it is our favorite ship ever! We can't wait to try the Oasis!

Just like all the other RCI ships and a few (more than a few now) Princess ships. TWO MANY PEOPLE!

GERTZ

Next:

Tahitian 9/18 Vancouver to Honolulu

Coral 4/12 FLL to LA

Island 9/17/09 Back to Alaska 4th time w/grandson:D

When steam locomotives were first introduced in America, most people claimed that God had never intended for man to travel as fast as 13 miles per hour - and they refused to travel on them.

Sounds a bit like many posters here. Unable to accept changes in life.

Strange that the many people who wait for months to shop in St Thomas (with as many as 20,000 cruise passengers ashore at the same time) couldn't possibly consider cruising on a ship with 5,000 or 6,000.

Disneyland is another conundrum. Disney World typically has between 15,000 and 20,000 people standing in line in a single day. The same people who dream about visiting Disney can't imagine sailing on a ship with far fewer people - only 5,000.

The most notable thing about the Oasis is that there seems to be no connection with the sea. It sounds interesting and fun and lively, but I love the ocean and that's what I most want on a cruise. Not 7 neighborhoods and a dancing water show.

I will say this is probably the most innovative cruise ship design ever. RCI is really going out on a limb. I give them credit for their courage...

Carol

I think it is a smart move by them. A lot of people in my generation (20 - 30 somethings) want big attractions while also being pampered, they don't want their parents vacations but something thrilling. I think it is a great concept that appeals to a new kind of traveler. In my opinion, I think this ship is not made for the typical cruiser, I think it is intended to appeal to a market of people that would not normally sail. Dare I say it appeals to new money and not old. ;)

I would love to see a video on how they will conduct the lifeboat drill with however many people they will have aboard. Can you just picture finding your luggage on debarkation and finding a porter to assist you. How about clearing the ship in the various ports and also going through customs if it comes back to the U.S. The only thing tat I am sure of is that I would never book a cruise on this floating shopping mall. Marvin

I think if people are looking for a park setting land based vacations should be more than adequate.

I think if people need rides there are many amusement parks.

I don't get the whole theme of the ship. I don't think I would find it relaxing.

My cuz is a die hard RCCL fan, she is begging me to go on the ship with her.............:eek: is all I can say.

Laura

PS I am in the 20-30 demographic............I don't think that age matters........it is what you want... thrill seeking vs relaxing vacation.

I think it is a smart move by them. A lot of people in my generation (20 - 30 somethings) want big attractions while also being pampered, they don't want their parents vacations but something thrilling. I think it is a great concept that appeals to a new kind of traveler. In my opinion, I think this ship is not made for the typical cruiser, I think it is intended to appeal to a market of people that would not normally sail. Dare I say it appeals to new money and not old. ;)

I agree. There will always be plenty of traditional ships around for the more mature crowd. On the other hand, lines like HAL, Celebrity and Princess have little to offer young, single adults. And I stress the "single". (Hard for a 20 something to find romance on a typical HAL cruise :eek: )

I think that having balconies face the inner neighbourhoods is very clever.

In a traditional design these rooms would all be insides. How much nicer, if you can't afford an oceanview balcony, to face the place where all the action is.

I am perfectly happy with Princess, or better yet a much smaller Regent ship, if traveling alone with DH. But If I take my 20-something kids along, this is the ship I would go for.

Besides, I would love to try one of those loft cabins and the floating bar.

And did I read somewhere that they would offer zip-lining? Oooh, I love zip lines. It would be great for first timers to try it out on a smaller scale on the ship before going on some of those excursions.

I think that if it's anything like Royal Caribbean's existing large ships it will be well worth.......

avoiding like the plague !!!!!

Princess really do manage the "big ship choice - small ship feel" that they promise, while my last RC cruise featured small choice - few shows, and big ship feel - lots of crowds.

Oasis OTS may look astounding, and it would be interesting to see... but not my choice for a relaxing vacation.

I completely agree that this ship will appeal to a LOT of people. I just don't think I am going to be one of them. I want my ship to be focused on being at sea. I am not a shopping/mall person in real life, cannot imagine living in one on vacation. Also 16 levels has me a bit nervous. Won't it get top heavy? I am sure it is sound, but eek.

I DO like the interior cabins facing something...though not sure you need a balcony for it. I don't know, I think I would really LOVE a SMALL ship, but as of yet I can't really afford them. I am not an activity person on a cruise. Give me a deck chair (that I don't have to fight for), a cocktail and a book (and maybe a pool) and I am one happy chappy.

But then that is why they make chocolate and vanilla (and a trillion other flavors).

BECAUSE! I want to know what Princess people think about it! Ha! Lighten up...this is just a Board!

I think the Oasis looks very beautiful, but I'm sure that is going to be an even more expensive cruise than Royal's current cruises. I plan on sailing on RC one day just to experience it for myself. Variety is the spice of life and to each their own.:)

I completely agree that this ship will appeal to a LOT of people. I just don't think I am going to be one of them. I want my ship to be focused on being at sea. I am not a shopping/mall person in real life, cannot imagine living in one on vacation. Also 16 levels has me a bit nervous. Won't it get top heavy? I am sure it is sound, but eek.

I DO like the interior cabins facing something...though not sure you need a balcony for it. I don't know, I think I would really LOVE a SMALL ship, but as of yet I can't really afford them. I am not an activity person on a cruise. Give me a deck chair (that I don't have to fight for), a cocktail and a book (and maybe a pool) and I am one happy chappy.

But then that is why they make chocolate and vanilla (and a trillion other flavors).

My feelings exactly. I want to feel like I'm at sea, not at the "Mall Of America." Not knocking those who are willing to sail on the Oasis, but IMHO Celeb's Milinium class or the Island/Coral are to me the perfect size.

With this in mind, I'm venturing out just a little on my next 2 cruises but feel the size difference isn't too much....

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Archived