Asking for Upgrade at Check In

azchrisaz

It has been our experience, that IF there is a cabin available (most sail sold out), HAL does not upgrade for free, but charges the full difference between your paid cabin and the cost of the upgrade cabin. HAL does not give away free upgrades at the pier just for the asking. Your TA must not have very much experience with HAL bookings. Happy Sailing!

No specials. Actually the ship is in charge of their inventory not the pier folks. They are contractors that work for the pier and not the cruiseline. Their job is to check you in and direct folks where to go within the cruise terminal. Upgrades my be available but it will cost the same as buying that category today as they don't offer the empty cabins at a discount. I don't know why, it's always amazed me. Once we inquired at the pursers desk when we boarded the ship, if there was a suite cabin available. We wanted to upgrade from our balcony. There was one but they quoted as the exact difference between a suite and balcony that was their pricing when we were choosing a cabin category when we originally booked. Happy Sailing!

Many years ago you could do this but I think that this has virtuallly disappeared.

I did have success on HAL in Alaska in 2001 when just two weeks before the cruise we received a call if we were interested in an upgrade to an SA suite for a small adjustment which we jumped on .....

IF you book directly with the cruise line and make your desires known when you book towards a possible upgrade at a reasonable price , you may get a call.

WE used to use a TA but she retired and for the past several cruises we have booked DIRECTLY with the line and I do like it. IT helps with a number of issues- seating for dinner, location etc...

Everthing seems to run smoother for us when we book directly BUT that is my opinion. There are some great TA's out there .

Basically, pier upgrades have gone the way of the dodo bird. If HAL has higher categories available they need to move, they fax over offers to agents with bookings to offer those passengers sailing.

Some of offers are merely interesting... others are downright insulting.

I agree that pier upgrades are virtually non-existent these days...in terms of asking for one and receiving it.

And, with no disrespect intended to the OP's travel agent, I think that the TA him/herself should be contacting HAL to ask about upgrades for the passengers ... not leaving it to the passengers to ask at checkin.

I think your TA gave you false hope. As posted by others, it is rare for there to be a vacancy and if there is, it most probably would be available for sale at just brochure rate. No bargain. If you want a higher level cabin, you might want to think about booking that previous to arriving at the dock. The best way to get the cabin you want is to book it.

I am curious - prior posters seem to indicate that they are able to get upgrades at the pier because they booked with Hal. Would there be a difference when using a TA? I ask because IMHO the prices I have been able to get using a web reseller have been 30% or more less than Holland's advertised fares.

Often, I will pick the exact room I want and ask that no upgrade be issued, but hey, if there is something nicer in a higher category, I would love to know about it at check-in time.

Are these "perks" available to everyone, or only those who book directly?

People who book directly with HAL have been upgraded and people who used TA's have been upgraded and some people have never been upgraded.

If you are willing to accept an upgrade, have your TA tell HAL.

I am curious - prior posters seem to indicate that they are able to get upgrades at the pier because they booked with Hal. Would there be a difference when using a TA? I ask because IMHO the prices I have been able to get using a web reseller have been 30% or more less than Holland's advertised fares.

Often, I will pick the exact room I want and ask that no upgrade be issued, but hey, if there is something nicer in a higher category, I would love to know about it at check-in time.

There is no way to figure out who gets upgrades and who does not. Booking with Hal has nothing to do with it. If someone claims that was the reason it is nothing but speculation. Plenty of people who book with a TA get an upgrade. Booking a guarantee increases your chances.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "they are able to get upgrades at the pier because they booked with Hal". Perhaps you mean those posts where someone was checking in and found they were upgraded. It happens but not as much as people thing.

You can not upgrade at check in. IF there are available cabins when you board, you could ask for an upgrade but you are going to pay for it and it will not be a bargain price.

If you are really looking for an upgrade let you TA know. Sometimes a couple of weeks before sailing, Hal might make some offers at a good price. There is no way to tell if this is going to happen or not.

And as for people 'not showing up', it could be a transportation problem, and they may be able to join the cruise at the first non-US port of call. So they wouldn't be reselling their cabin. EM

Over the years I have probably read millions of posts on all the CC boards. ( Note to self: Get a life) I do not recall ever reading how someone got an upgrade at no cost, upon check in or once onboard. This does not, of course, mean it has never happened. Rather, if it has, it's exceptionally rare. I would also venture a guess that when or if it happens at the last minute, the complimentary and meaningful upgrade goes to very loyal past passengers, as it should.

There is a well known poster on the Princess boards who practically was living on Princess ships and sailing and reporting live from all over the world. I think he was able to upgrade to a balcony cabin at no cost for one segment when the original cabin occupant was thrown off the ship for stealing and bizzare behaviour.

Occasionally, one can pay for an upgrade if a cabin is available at the last minute.

The OP's TA sounds like a ding-a-ling. If the OP wants an upgrade and is willing to pay something for it, this TA should be on the phone with HAL, right now, letting them know that he/she has a client willing to listen to all UPSELL offers.

Many years ago you could do this but I think that this has virtuallly disappeared.

I did have success on HAL in Alaska in 2001 when just two weeks before the cruise we received a call if we were interested in an upgrade to an SA suite for a small adjustment which we jumped on .....

Many years ago, it was more likely that ships were not sailing full. This has not been the case over the past several years on most sailings.

Your experience in 2001 is called an upsell. If a passenger is interested in such opportunities, they should let their TA know.

Sometimes, passengers with guaranteed cabins may not learn of their cabin assignment until they check in. Sometimes those assignments are upgrades. The term upgrade means different things to different people. Inside to outside, outside to balcony, balcony to a suite, suite to a deluxe suite and deluxe suite to penthouse are meaningful upgrades. The rest are noise.

If you are open to considering an upsell, let your TA know.

If you are interested in an upgrade for a fee, your best bet is to let your TA know so she can tell HAL that you are a willing upsell customer. On embarkation day, it's too late for availability and decent upgrade pricing. Happy Sailing!

... are meaningful upgrades. The rest are noise.
When I book a VF or VE guarantee and am assigned a VA in a location that I like (as has happened 3 times) I've saved $400 to $500 pp over booking the VA in the first place. That's a lot more than "noise" to me! :D

When I book a VF or VE guarantee and am assigned a VA in a location that I like (as has happened 3 times) I've saved $400 to $500 pp over booking the VA in the first place. That's a lot more than "noise" to me! :D

OOOOps. You are right. I forgot about the obstructed balconies. Thanks for the catch.:)

I was referring to how it's possible to get say a 6 cat. upgrade and still be in an inside or outside cabin, as booked. Now that's noise.

Archived