Prepaying on S&S account?

MalibuBarbie

My fiance and I will be getting married onboard Splendor. We do not have a credit card so we were going to use our debit card---although after reading several threads on this, I am not so sure I even want to do this. Anyway, we will be purchasing a photo package for our wedding and of course, it will be applied towards our S&S account. These packages range anywhere between $750 and $3000! Obviously, we don't want Carnival to place a hold for these additional large amounts so is there a way that we can make payments towards our S&S account so we have a large credit before we even leave port? We were thinking of maybe putting a $2000 credit on our S&S account so that if we pick say a $1000 package, they would just issue us a check for the balance on the last day. (minus any other charges we may have incurred) Has anyone done this? Could you tell me how you did this?

Thanks!

Barbie

My fiance and I will be getting married onboard Splendor. We do not have a credit card so we were going to use our debit card---although after reading several threads on this, I am not so sure I even want to do this. Anyway, we will be purchasing a photo package for our wedding and of course, it will be applied towards our S&S account. These packages range anywhere between $750 and $3000! Obviously, we don't want Carnival to place a hold for these additional large amounts so is there a way that we can make payments towards our S&S account so we have a large credit before we even leave port? We were thinking of maybe putting a $2000 credit on our S&S account so that if we pick say a $1000 package, they would just issue us a check for the balance on the last day. (minus any other charges we may have incurred) Has anyone done this? Could you tell me how you did this?

Thanks!

Barbie

I have never done it - but other posters say they have. Call your TA - or Carnival Rep, I am sure they can give you the details.

The other option is to take the cash with you and apply it to the S&S account once you are on board. That way your money could be earning interest for you - until you actually leave on the cruise. You would have the large credit balance - use what you need - and anything left would be returned to you (as a check) on the last night.

Thanks!

Barbie

Congratulations, Barbie!!! How great for you!!

Yep... you sure can put money, as On Board Credit, on your account before you sail. Prior to two weeks of your sailing date call 800-906-7603 and they'll take care of you.

Once you're on the ship you also have the option of going to the Purser's Desk and putting money on your account... cash or money order is fine...

If you don't spend all the money on your account a check for the difference will be delivered to your cabin very late on the last night of your cruise. You have the option of taking it down to the Purser's Desk and cashing it there.

Hope you have a WONDERFUL time. Please do us the favor of a report when you get home!!!

Mach

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea that they would take cash (who would have thought?:p I don't know if fiance would feel comfortable carrying so much cash on us, but its great to know. I think just paying on it a couple of weeks ahead of time would be great and be less stressful to me! I will report back on our experiences but you guys will have quite the wait---we will be booking for May 2010! :eek: I can't even book it yet! Just when will they be releasing those dates?

Barbie

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea that they would take cash (who would have thought?:p I don't know if fiance would feel comfortable carrying so much cash on us, but its great to know. I think just paying on it a couple of weeks ahead of time would be great and be less stressful to me! I will report back on our experiences but you guys will have quite the wait---we will be booking for May 2010! :eek: I can't even book it yet! Just when will they be releasing those dates?

Barbie

If you don't feel comfortable carrying cash, you can always take travelers checks, then use them to put to wards your account.

Barbie

Yeah.....who knew cash was still accepted :eek: ;) !

If you decide to go the "cash" route - you could use traveller's checks if that would be more comfortable for you to transport to the ship.

Either way...I wish you the BEST!!

You can add cash or travelers checks to the account onboard at the Pursers Desk, which is what I did on my first cruise. You can also buy fun ship dollars/gift certificates from the Bon Vorgae Dept. or from the website and have them applied directly to your S&S card. I don't have the amount your going to put on, but I'm close to it, having added more funds in the last week. I'll probably add a few hundred more this week also. You get a check for any unused funds on the last day or if you go to the Pursers Desk the night before to settle your account, they will give you cash, if they have it. I did this right after my 8pm dinner seating.

Yep... you sure can put money, as On Board Credit, on your account before you sail. Prior to two weeks of your sailing date call 800-906-7603 and they'll take care of you.!

Mach

It sounds like you will need to do this before "a couple weeks" in advance.

Very good information Mach ~ I may need to start doing that now so by the time March gets here, I'll have plenty of OBC.

Congrats on your wedding!

It sounds like you will need to do this before "a couple weeks" in advance.

Very good information Mach ~ I may need to start doing that now so by the time March gets here, I'll have plenty of OBC.

Congrats on your wedding!

Yeah... I like to try out as many services as I can so I can answer questions that arise. I tried to put a couple hundred bucks on OBC because someone had mentioned it quite some time ago. Put five hundred bucks on the account and asked if there were any other restrictions... that's when I found out about the two week limit.

One point about Traveler's Checks... DO NOT fill out ANYTHING on the back of the check! I know that it's a tad risky hauling about blank traveler's checks but you need to sign them in front of the Purser. They seem to be fairly strict about this.

One point about Traveler's Checks... DO NOT fill out ANYTHING on the back of the check! I know that it's a tad risky hauling about blank traveler's checks but you need to sign them in front of the Purser. They seem to be fairly strict about this.

I didn't know that about Traveler's checks. Good thing to know.. that could be a major issue.

I do the build up the S&S before hand every cruise. I generally end up with a small S&S balance. But one of these days I'm going to get a REFUND at the end of my cruise. That way I can roll it right to the next cruise.

Archived