On Your Own from FCO to your Ship??!!

I know this has been covered from head to toe but I'm looking for some more opinions!! For those of you who have taken your own transportation from FCO (Rome Airport) over to your ship can you give the estimated cost of the taxi? Is this something you would suggest? Last year we took Carnival transfers ($175.00 per person roundtrip) and didn't have to worry about it. However this year we are getting into Rome around 9 am and would like to do a little on our own? I know many take the train into Rome and onto the ship but is something that you would recommend? Thanks so much!

I know that many cruisers on this thread use the train from FCO to Rome but my idea of holidays is not lugging my luggage off and on trains if we don't have to. We would rather pay the money and use transfers. FCO to the city is not bad, only 40 euros by taxi. The city to the port is more - I had quotes of between 110 and 150 euro for the 2 of us. If you say the amounts quickly, it doesn't sound as much and the pain soon goes.:)

Long distance trains are a different matter as you have a reserved seat and time to get organised.

I'm sure others will shoot me down and tell you how easy the train is, and it probably isn't too bad but I'm just not doing it.

The time you have available will depend on what time you can clear customs and the time of sailing (what time you have to be at the Port). You may not have a great deal of time to look around. Another thought is to go straight to Civitavecchia and look around there - it is supposed to be quite interesting. Or take a private transfer with sightseeing, so that you end up at the boat but have a tour as well.

If you use a limo company like Romecabs or romeshuttlelimousine then you can get a driving tour for a few hours then transfer to the port. It will probably cost a little, but may be nice. The crusie ship may also offer something like this too.

Regarding the trains, there are no reservations involved (or accepted). You would take the Leonardo Express direct from inside the FCO terminal into Rome and than change to a local train to the port. Keep in mind that you will have quite a long walk to change trains (if you go to the Rome Termini Station) and you will have a 4 block walk from the Civitavecchia station to the port entrance where you can get a free shuttle bus to the ship. It takes about 30 min to get into Rome and than its another hour plus waiting time to get to the port. Arranging a direct car transfer (even for 120 Euros) is almost worth the money.

Hank

I know that many cruisers on this thread use the train from FCO to Rome but my idea of holidays is not lugging my luggage off and on trains if we don't have to. We would rather pay the money and use transfers. FCO to the city is not bad, only 40 euros by taxi. The city to the port is more - I had quotes of between 110 and 150 euro for the 2 of us. If you say the amounts quickly, it doesn't sound as much and the pain soon goes.:)

Long distance trains are a different matter as you have a reserved seat and time to get organised.

I'm sure others will shoot me down and tell you how easy the train is, and it probably isn't too bad but I'm just not doing it.

The time you have available will depend on what time you can clear customs and the time of sailing (what time you have to be at the Port). You may not have a great deal of time to look around. Another thought is to go straight to Civitavecchia and look around there - it is supposed to be quite interesting. Or take a private transfer with sightseeing, so that you end up at the boat but have a tour as well.

I know exactly what you mean...I have no desire to lug 2 weeks of baggage around!!! We were avid users of the train system in many cities...just not our departing. Thanks so much for your input.

Archived