Experiences with bringing wine aboard in the Mediterranean?

terrydtx

Checking the water bottles? What for? Were they sniffing them to see if they were filled with booze or some such thing?

I would find that to be rather offensive...and personally intrusive.

Some people smuggle liquor in water bottles. Most likely they checked via gently shaking the bottle rather than sniffing. Liquor bubbles up and is easily visible when gently shaken.

I am not real sure why this would be seen as offensive or intrusive. Unfortunately many people break the rules and bring contraband on board the ships so security cannot simply waive everybody through and assume nobody is breaking the rules.

I am not real sure why this would be seen as offensive or intrusive. Unfortunately many people break the rules and bring contraband on board the ships so security cannot simply waive everybody through and assume nobody is breaking the rules.

The reason I consider this to be offensive or intrusive is that I consider the entire booze policy to be offensive and intrusive - and the idea that someone would manhandle my perfectly legal personal belongings, especially something that I am actively consuming, i.e. a water bottle that I might be carrying, is even more so. I would certainly not want to put my mouth on something that some security guy puts his hands (or worse, nose!) on (i.e. the opening of my water bottle).

I realize that some people are perfectly fine with Celebrity’s booze policies. I am not. I have cruised on enough lines that DON’T have these absurd policies to see that there is no valid reason for having them, other than to (IMO unreasonably) boost profits by forcing pax to buy their alcoholic beverages onboard. I see it as akin to a hotel telling me that I cannot bring my own choice of beverage into my room. I have no problem with the corkage fee, just as I wouldn’t in a land-based restaurant (although $25 is outrageously high, so I will not be bringing any of my smuggled wine to dinner). What I DO have a problem with is the idea that we are not allowed to bring our own, perfectly legal, beverages into our private cabin, for which we’ve paid quite a bit of money to LIVE in for the duration of our cruise.

I’ve heard all the arguments – “It’s their cruise line, they can set the rules, follow them or choose another cruise line.” “They need to limit bringing booze on board for security/insurance/liability reasons.” “They do this because of previous alcohol abuse by pax.” “They have to check for contraband.” Yadda yadda. None of them hold water with me. I am an adult, alcoholic beverages are not illegal (i.e. “contraband”), I know what I like to drink, they don’t sell it on the ship, I’m SLEEPING in that room for the duration of the cruise and feel I have a right to drink my beverage of choice in my BEDROOM during my vacation. Yeah sure they can make the rules, heck they can ban bringing TOOTHPASTE on board and then sell it for ten bucks a tube, it would be the same thing as far as I’m concerned. And if they did that, I guess I'd become a toothpaste smuggler as well as a booze smuggler, because I would see both policies as equally absurd.

This is one reason why I haven’t cruised with Celebrity in several years – and why, after my last RCI cruise last summer, I have written them off my list completely. I have chosen to cruise on lines that treat their pax with basic respect (Regent, Windstar) largely because of the booze rules. I was originally booked on Silversea for this cruise, but changed to Celebrity when they came out with a similar itinerary on Equinox, and I was told by multiple sources that in the Med they really don’t enforce the booze rules. Hence, I am giving them another try. But like I said earlier, I am watching this issue carefully, and will be eager to see if their lack of enforcement in the Med holds true on their newest ships. If things change, I will switch back to a cruise line that doesn’t confiscate my personal belongings in order to boost profits.

But I’m hoping I don’t have to. I enjoy most everything else about the Celebrity product, and if this one issue turns out to be a non-issue, I will be satisfied.:)

This is simply how I feel. I am a wine lover, and to me, one of the greatest pleasures about traveling in Europe is getting to enjoy the regional wines. I do not wish these absurd booze policies to rob me of this experience. So, I will be breaking the rules.

But don't worry - I won't be wearing jeans in the dining room. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Barcelona is an interesting embarkation with relation to wine/liquor, they have a wine shop in the terminal that is located after the security screening so anything goes, buy as much as you want.

I know this thread has been inactive for some time, but I would like to know more about the Barcelona terminal wine shop. We sailed out of Barcelona last fall on Royal Caribbean and I do not recall any wine store at the terminal. We are sailing on the Celebrity Summit this November, and info about the wine store after security would be welcome.

We are not great wine connoisseurs, but do enjoy some wines. For the two of us, our most favored is Prosecco, an Italian sparkling which is very smooth to our taste. We found this wine while living in Northern Italy years ago. While I have seen it is available on Celebrity, I will buy some and maybe another wine prior to boarding.

I must say that the Celebrity price of $29 for Prosecco is very reasonable. Since it has finally become available in Fayetteville, we have paid $30 here in restaurants. This may not be the most expensive, but I have never had a bad Prosecco. Unfortunately, it was never available on Royal Caribbean at any price.

I really enjoy two beers in our cabin, OK, stateroom, before bed. I most enjoy a good European beer. So does anyone know if the after security wine store also has beer?

Now a bit off topic. LeeAnne, if you are there, do you recall the guy and gal dressed in denim for formal night posted on a thread about jeans at dinner? If I can find it, I want to post it on our Celebrity Connections thread for fun. Also, let me add that although I have disagreed with you once or twice, your posts about tipping have been great. Keep up the good work.

Bob :cool:

Checking the water bottles? What for? Were they sniffing them to see if they were filled with booze or some such thing?

I would find that to be rather offensive...and personally intrusive.

Anyway, glad to hear that you had no problems bringing wine onboard. :)

If this was at a Turkish port they were probably checking for Raki. There's export and then a few places that still sell the old version with an opiate in it that is non-export. Actually you get caught reentering the US with non-export Raki and you and the ATF will have a nice long talk.

We did the 14 day r/t Rome through the Black Sea in Oct/Nov 2006 and one of our party of 6 never got caught brining wine aboard at each port. She wasn't much fun by the salad course but....... We bought some Retsina in Greece because the ship had none. No problems bringing it on and they knew it was in my back pack.

The reason I consider this to be offensive or intrusive is that I consider the entire booze policy to be offensive and intrusive - and the idea that someone would manhandle my perfectly legal personal belongings, especially something that I am actively consuming, i.e. a water bottle that I might be carrying, is even more so. I would certainly not want to put my mouth on something that some security guy puts his hands (or worse, nose!) on (i.e. the opening of my water bottle).

I realize that some people are perfectly fine with Celebrity’s booze policies. I am not. I have cruised on enough lines that DON’T have these absurd policies to see that there is no valid reason for having them, other than to (IMO unreasonably) boost profits by forcing pax to buy their alcoholic beverages onboard. I see it as akin to a hotel telling me that I cannot bring my own choice of beverage into my room. I have no problem with the corkage fee, just as I wouldn’t in a land-based restaurant (although $25 is outrageously high, so I will not be bringing any of my smuggled wine to dinner). What I DO have a problem with is the idea that we are not allowed to bring our own, perfectly legal, beverages into our private cabin, for which we’ve paid quite a bit of money to LIVE in for the duration of our cruise.

I’ve heard all the arguments – “It’s their cruise line, they can set the rules, follow them or choose another cruise line.” “They need to limit bringing booze on board for security/insurance/liability reasons.” “They do this because of previous alcohol abuse by pax.” “They have to check for contraband.” Yadda yadda. None of them hold water with me. I am an adult, alcoholic beverages are not illegal (i.e. “contraband”), I know what I like to drink, they don’t sell it on the ship, I’m SLEEPING in that room for the duration of the cruise and feel I have a right to drink my beverage of choice in my BEDROOM during my vacation. Yeah sure they can make the rules, heck they can ban bringing TOOTHPASTE on board and then sell it for ten bucks a tube, it would be the same thing as far as I’m concerned. And if they did that, I guess I'd become a toothpaste smuggler as well as a booze smuggler, because I would see both policies as equally absurd.

This is one reason why I haven’t cruised with Celebrity in several years – and why, after my last RCI cruise last summer, I have written them off my list completely. I have chosen to cruise on lines that treat their pax with basic respect (Regent, Windstar) largely because of the booze rules. I was originally booked on Silversea for this cruise, but changed to Celebrity when they came out with a similar itinerary on Equinox, and I was told by multiple sources that in the Med they really don’t enforce the booze rules. Hence, I am giving them another try. But like I said earlier, I am watching this issue carefully, and will be eager to see if their lack of enforcement in the Med holds true on their newest ships. If things change, I will switch back to a cruise line that doesn’t confiscate my personal belongings in order to boost profits.

But I’m hoping I don’t have to. I enjoy most everything else about the Celebrity product, and if this one issue turns out to be a non-issue, I will be satisfied.:)

This is simply how I feel. I am a wine lover, and to me, one of the greatest pleasures about traveling in Europe is getting to enjoy the regional wines. I do not wish these absurd booze policies to rob me of this experience. So, I will be breaking the rules.

But don't worry - I won't be wearing jeans in the dining room. ;)

My Parents did a transatlantic RCI cruise last year that ended in the Mediterranean and at the Rome port they tried to bring aboard a bottle of wine and it was confiscated. The RCI people told them it was a violation of "Maritime Law" to bring any form of Liquor aboard cruise ships, which was such a blatant lie. My Dad mentioned that HAL had no restrictions on wine and the RCI Officer told him if HAL wanted to break the law that was their business:eek: :eek: Guess what? That will be the last RCI cruise for my parents.:p

My Parents did a transatlantic RCI cruise last year that ended in the Mediterranean and at the Rome port they tried to bring aboard a bottle of wine and it was confiscated. The RCI people told them it was a violation of "Maritime Law" to bring any form of Liquor aboard cruise ships, which was such a blatant lie. My Dad mentioned that HAL had no restrictions on wine and the RCI Officer told him if HAL wanted to break the law that was their business:eek: :eek: Guess what? That will be the last RCI cruise for my parents.:p

Was the wine returned to them at the end of the cruise?

Was the wine returned to them at the end of the cruise?

Yes they got the 2 bottles back at 10pm the night before they departed the ship and they threw them out. My Mother has a phobia about red wine bottles breaking in their luggage and didn't want to bring them home in their luggage. Knowing my Dad I am sure the wine was not too expensive.

I'm not sure which is worse, the fact that they took it or the fact that they outright lied to them. I would have pointed out that the other lines RCL owns allows you to bring on wine.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure which is worse, the fact that they took it or the fact that they outright lied to them. I would have pointed out that the other lines RCL owns allows you to bring on wine.:rolleyes:

Carnival who owns HAL also has the same policy as RCI, both lines have a stated and written policy that doesnt allow any wine or liquor brought aboard any cruise. HAL has no limits on wine:D and Celebrity allows for 2 bottles at embarkation.;)

Carnival who owns HAL also has the same policy as RCI, both lines have a stated and written policy that doesnt allow any wine or liquor brought aboard any cruise. HAL has no limits on wine:D and Celebrity allows for 2 bottles at embarkation.;)

Nope, RCI stands alone in that stupid policy...From Carnival's website:

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

I know this thread has been inactive for some time, but I would like to know more about the Barcelona terminal wine shop. We sailed out of Barcelona last fall on Royal Caribbean and I do not recall any wine store at the terminal. We are sailing on the Celebrity Summit this November, and info about the wine store after security would be welcome.

We are not great wine connoisseurs, but do enjoy some wines. For the two of us, our most favored is Prosecco, an Italian sparkling which is very smooth to our taste. We found this wine while living in Northern Italy years ago. While I have seen it is available on Celebrity, I will buy some and maybe another wine prior to boarding.

I must say that the Celebrity price of $29 for Prosecco is very reasonable. Since it has finally become available in Fayetteville, we have paid $30 here in restaurants. This may not be the most expensive, but I have never had a bad Prosecco. Unfortunately, it was never available on Royal Caribbean at any price.

I really enjoy two beers in our cabin, OK, stateroom, before bed. I most enjoy a good European beer. So does anyone know if the after security wine store also has beer?

Now a bit off topic. LeeAnne, if you are there, do you recall the guy and gal dressed in denim for formal night posted on a thread about jeans at dinner? If I can find it, I want to post it on our Celebrity Connections thread for fun. Also, let me add that although I have disagreed with you once or twice, your posts about tipping have been great. Keep up the good work.

Bob,

I've been to Barcelona once on a Regent cruise, but unfortunately I don't recall the wine shop in the terminal. This could possibly be because Regent is all-inclusive and provides all wine and alcoholic beverages FREE, so I didn't need to buy any! ;) But anyway, sorry I can't help you with that.

I too love Prosecco. You actually can find Prosecco for much less than $30 a bottle, and I would venture to guess (just knowing Celebrity's usual overcharges for wine) that the Prosecco they are selling for $29 is available elsewhere for about $15. But that's just an educated guess.

Regarding the photo - happy to help. That was Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake. You can find several images of them in that get-up by going on Google Images and searching for Britney Justin Denim. Enjoy! :D

As for the tipping thread - I'd love to keep up the good work, but they closed it! :rolleyes: As usual, some people apparently can't handle when others disagree with them, and start tossing out the personal insults, which is when these threads always get closed. But I appreciate your kind words! And yes we haven't always been of the same opinion on various topics on this board - but when you disagree with me, you always do so politely and stick to the TOPIC, rather than getting all incensed and calling me names. I really do enjoy a good debate with people who are able to have one in a civilized, adult manner. And strangely enough, those are the times when I will sometimes actually change my position on something, because someone took the time to articulate their opinion and offer valid logic as to why they came to that opinion, and sometimes, gosh darn it, they're right! :D

If this was at a Turkish port they were probably checking for Raki. There's export and then a few places that still sell the old version with an opiate in it that is non-export. Actually you get caught reentering the US with non-export Raki and you and the ATF will have a nice long talk.

We did the 14 day r/t Rome through the Black Sea in Oct/Nov 2006 and one of our party of 6 never got caught brining wine aboard at each port. She wasn't much fun by the salad course but....... We bought some Retsina in Greece because the ship had none. No problems bringing it on and they knew it was in my back pack.

Hmm...well, that does put a different spin on things. I suppose it's understandable in a port where something like that could be brought aboard. I would hope they would only do it in THAT port, then.

My last RCI cruise was two summers ago - and I really mean LAST. I did know of their booze policy and their history of confiscation, so I did not attempt to bring anything on board. I really only took that cruise for my teenagers. But at this point I'm not willing to forgo one of my greatest pleasures of traveling - sampling regional wines. So I will no longer go on them.

I too find it appalling that they would lie to you. On the other hand, its entirely possible that this is what those employees were told, so the people saying it to you may very well have believed it. Of course, somebody TOLD them that lie, so that doesn't absolve the cruiseline of blame. It's just, IMO, an ugly, money-grubbing policy that I find unacceptable. So I don't cruise with them any more.

I know the Celebrity's "official" policy is that you can only bring 2 bottles of wine aboard at embarkation, but what has been your experiences with bringing wine aboard at other ports on past cruises in the Mediterranean? With so many great wine ports in France and Italy on our upcoming Century cruise it is almost criminal not being able to bring local wine aboard for consumption in the privacy of our cabin and veranda.:eek:

We brought wine from Italy last Nov(Millenium).

We brought wine from France in May 08(Century).

Our shopping bags were searched as we boarded the ship in France, and the wine bottle was handled. Not a word was spoken about it.

Also purchased beer in Scotland. No problem.:)

I doubt they lose enough revenue to make it an issue.

Yes they got the 2 bottles back at 10pm the night before they departed the ship and they threw them out. My Mother has a phobia about red wine bottles breaking in their luggage and didn't want to bring them home in their luggage. Knowing my Dad I am sure the wine was not too expensive.

Well, I am glad to hear that. I like to purchase wines from different areas. If I can't sample them on the ship at least I can when I get home

Bob,

I've been to Barcelona once on a Regent cruise, but unfortunately I don't recall the wine shop in the terminal. This could possibly be because Regent is all-inclusive and provides all wine and alcoholic beverages FREE, so I didn't need to buy any! ;) But anyway, sorry I can't help you with that.

I too love Prosecco. You actually can find Prosecco for much less than $30 a bottle, and I would venture to guess (just knowing Celebrity's usual overcharges for wine) that the Prosecco they are selling for $29 is available elsewhere for about $15. But that's just an educated guess.

Regarding the photo - happy to help. That was Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake. You can find several images of them in that get-up by going on Google Images and searching for Britney Justin Denim. Enjoy! :D

As for the tipping thread - I'd love to keep up the good work, but they closed it! :rolleyes: As usual, some people apparently can't handle when others disagree with them, and start tossing out the personal insults, which is when these threads always get closed. But I appreciate your kind words! And yes we haven't always been of the same opinion on various topics on this board - but when you disagree with me, you always do so politely and stick to the TOPIC, rather than getting all incensed and calling me names. I really do enjoy a good debate with people who are able to have one in a civilized, adult manner. And strangely enough, those are the times when I will sometimes actually change my position on something, because someone took the time to articulate their opinion and offer valid logic as to why they came to that opinion, and sometimes, gosh darn it, they're right! :D

LeeAnne,

We may take an expensive all inclusive cruise sometime, but I am so cheap, then again we may not. About Barcelona, I like to advise anyone who likes great music and opera to look at the Liceu Opera there. Of course opera is not mentioned much on these boards, and you may not be interested. But youse out thur in Californy needs to get some culture. :D

We attended Aida there last November, and it was magnificent. Tickets must be purchased early on the web. They sell fast for popular operas.

We are in Barcelona only one night our next cruise in November, a Transatlantic on the Summit. The Liceu has no opera then that we want, so we have four nights in New York, now less expensive than Barcelona.

Yes, Prosecco here in the liquor store is $15 ±, but I think twice that is OK for a restaurant. I am sorry that more and more people seem to find Prosecco. I fear the greater demand is driving the price up.

I found the photo. Thank you. Now I don't know that I'll post it.

I have also found some people here to be disagreeable and impolite. But I am sure you agree that overall Cruise Critic is good to have and often very instructive. Well, til we meet again. Let's hope we are on the same page of agreement then. I can see that if we are not, I will have to work really hard to bring you over to my side. :rolleyes:

Bob

We were on the Millennium out of Barcelona last year and I bought my Cava at that store to bring on board. I don't remember if it was before or after security, but I know you couldn't miss it. It was right to the left of where we went in and the prices were good!!

We returned on the Summit this year and had a bottle of Greek wine from Santorini taken until the last night, but a bottle of Limoncello from Naples was allowed right through???

We returned on the Summit this year and had a bottle of Greek wine from Santorini taken until the last night, but a bottle of Limoncello from Naples was allowed right through???

Bummer! That's the first recent report I've heard of Celebrity confiscating wine in the Med. Can you tell us what happened? How did they find it? Any advice on what you might have done differently to keep them from snagging it?

This is the one thing that is concerning me the most about my upcoming cruise (well, other than airfares :eek: ). I will be MOST unhappy if I get my wine confiscated. I really don't want to have to carry it back to the US with me...and I really want to be able to enjoy it while I'm on vacation. While I'm so uncomfortable with this whole "smuggling" concept, I will do what's necessary to ensure that I get to enjoy one of the best parts of being in the Med. I don't get there often enough to be willing to forgo that.

About Barcelona, I like to advise anyone who likes great music and opera to look at the Liceu Opera there. Of course opera is not mentioned much on these boards, and you may not be interested. But youse out thur in Californy needs to get some culture. :D

Bob, I actually love opera! I don't get to go very often (hubby doesn't like it much) but I enjoy it. Being of Italian heritage I speak some Italian, and I like trying to see how much of the words I actually understand. (Not that you need to understand Italian to enjoy opera!

I have also found some people here to be disagreeable and impolite. But I am sure you agree that overall Cruise Critic is good to have and often very instructive.
Are you kidding? I LOVE Cruise Critic! I've met some of the most wonderful people on these boards in roll-call threads, ending up with ready-made friends once on board. Some of them have become long-term friends. And there is just no better resource for planning private excursions - I'm sure I've saved many hundreds of dollars. The :::ahem::: "disagreeable and impolite" people are actually more entertaining then they probably want to be. ;)

Well, til we meet again. Let's hope we are on the same page of agreement then. I can see that if we are not, I will have to work really hard to bring you over to my side. :rolleyes:
HA! It's not so hard, believe me. Hey, just don't call me names! :D

Thank you, martodd, for your information. I'll look for the store. If it is after security I will buy something there. That is, if when I "case" the actual ship boarding when first boarding, I don't see any ship personnel rechecking things.

LeeAnne,

We have been on five Celebrity, one HAL and two RCL cruises. So far, I have only been "caught" once, and then not really. Of course, one can bring wine on to HAL, but I have also brought on beer. I brought four bottles of wine in a plastic sack onto the RCL Jewel at Cherburgh, France in 2006 without any questions. I have brought beer on board at many ports. I did get caught with four or six beers at Gibraltar last December on the RCL Brilliance. The guy at the X-ray asked if I had liquor in my plastic bag. I responded that it was beer. He then said "Go to that table where the ship's people are." I picked up my sack of beer and looked at the table. They were chatting with each other, so I just walked the the elevator with my beer. I thought "The worst that can happen is that they tackle me, in which case I sue." :D I enjoyed the beer.

There are various assumptions about policy enforcement on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. I think that checking for liquor of any kind is really a random occurrence.

In some ways, cruise line managements seem to be very sharp at maximizing revenue and profits, which they should do. In other ways they seem to think that their customers are a captive group, with no alternatives but to cruise on their lines. The decisions based on this faulty reasoning, I strongly believe, result in sub-optimization and a reduction of profits. I cannot believe that any cruise line managements have analyzed the net impact on profits, particularly, of their anti-wine rules.

Let me speak to your DH. I am sure he is a very good man, and extremely intelligent, but he has got to realize that music is a major gift to mankind. Opera is one of those gifts. We are not enthralled by all opera, but are essentially so by almost all Puccini, and most of Verdi. Years ago, when we first saw Madame Butterfly, my DW almost ran onto the stage to slug Lt. Pinkerton. While there are some operas I find sometimes boring, I don't think there is a single note in Madame Butterfly that I don't find pleasing.

Almost all real music has listening pleasure. Many Broadway scores are great, and even some country music is good. Our daughter is a classically trained violinist who has also become a fiddler. See www.wilderscountry.com. They are now in Edinburgh.

We have season tickets to Tulsa Opera, which is not renowned, but none-the-less very good. Get your DH to take you to San Francisco, New York, London, Barcelona, Budapest, or Vienna opera. If he won't do so, I have people in Chicago who can "convince" him. :D

The Italians are out to conquer the world by opening restaurants everywhere. They will enforce their demands by threatening to withhold their delicious food from us.

Thank you, martodd, for your information. I'll look for the store. If it is after security I will buy something there. That is, if when I "case" the actual ship boarding when first boarding, I don't see any ship personnel rechecking things.

LeeAnne,

We have been on five Celebrity, one HAL and two RCL cruises. So far, I have only been "caught" once, and then not really. Of course, one can bring wine on to HAL, but I have also brought on beer. I brought four bottles of wine in a plastic sack onto the RCL Jewel at Cherburgh, France in 2006 without any questions. I have brought beer on board at many ports. I did get caught with four or six beers at Gibraltar last December on the RCL Brilliance. The guy at the X-ray asked if I had liquor in my plastic bag. I responded that it was beer. He then said "Go to that table where the ship's people are." I picked up my sack of beer and looked at the table. They were chatting with each other, so I just walked the the elevator with my beer. I thought "The worst that can happen is that they tackle me, in which case I sue." :D I enjoyed the beer.

There are various assumptions about policy enforcement on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. I think that checking for liquor of any kind is really a random occurrence.

In some ways, cruise line managements seem to be very sharp at maximizing revenue and profits, which they should do. In other ways they seem to think that their customers are a captive group, with no alternatives but to cruise on their lines. The decisions based on this faulty reasoning, I strongly believe, result in sub-optimization and a reduction of profits. I cannot believe that any cruise line managements have analyzed the net impact on profits, particularly, of their anti-wine rules.

Let me speak to your DH. I am sure he is a very good man, and extremely intelligent, but he has got to realize that music is a major gift to mankind. Opera is one of those gifts. We are not enthralled by all opera, but are essentially so by almost all Puccini, and most of Verdi. Years ago, when we first saw Madame Butterfly, my DW almost ran onto the stage to slug Lt. Pinkerton. While there are some operas I find sometimes boring, I don't think there is a single note in Madame Butterfly that I don't find pleasing.

Almost all real music has listening pleasure. Many Broadway scores are great, and even some country music is good. Our daughter is a classically trained violinist who has also become a fiddler. See www.wilderscountry.com. They are now in Edinburgh.

We have season tickets to Tulsa Opera, which is not renowned, but none-the-less very good. Get your DH to take you to San Francisco, New York, London, Barcelona, Budapest, or Vienna opera. If he won't do so, I have people in Chicago who can "convince" him. :D

The Italians are out to conquer the world by opening restaurants everywhere. They will enforce their demands by threatening to withhold their delicious food from us.

I love Opera and love that you worded your post so eloquently. Most people who say they don't like opera often haven't seen a production live on stage. It's quite an experience. Even if you don't understand the language, the gestures and inflections in the voices and the musical instruments can give you the flavor of the emotions being conveyed.

As to the alcohol issue, it really is silly that ships have such bizarre - and varying - policies. It makes zero sense to me. Good will goes a long way to securing loyalty from a passenger base. Which is probably why I typically cruise with HAL. I am cruising on Celebrity next March, because the pricing was too good to turn down, but I am less enthused about their stringent alcohol policy. I am hoping the experiences and the pricing will make up for the sting of not being able to bring on whatever wine I want to bring aboard.

Thank you, mybagsarepacked, for the nice compliment. As indicated, we are not opera purists, but do really enjoy most. In addition to Tulsa, we have attended opera in Barcelona, London, Vienna, and Budapest. In addition to great music, the European opera houses are usually beautiful themselves.

We are finally getting to the Metropolitan this November, during a stay in New York on the way to Barcelona to start a TA cruise. (We hope to enjoy some Prosecco on that cruise.)

As I said before, we enjoy most music. Because of the fiddler with the Wilders, we are even hooked on old time country.

Bob :rolleyes:

We were on the Galaxy late May/early June this year and brought wine on board from Rome, Rhodes, Santorini, Sicily, and Turkey. Not once were we stopped. Also, once you've cleared security in the Rome airport, you can buy wine there and bring on board the plane in your carry on luggage.

We were on the Galaxy late May/early June this year and brought wine on board from Rome, Rhodes, Santorini, Sicily, and Turkey. Not once were we stopped. Also, once you've cleared security in the Rome airport, you can buy wine there and bring on board the plane in your carry on luggage.

And yet another encouraging report out of the Med. Thanks - helps keep my optimism up! :)

Thank all of you for the great information. Looks like I will be able to sit on my veranda cruising the Mediterranean next month and enjoy some great wines that I will be able to bring aboard.:D :D :D :cool:

Archived