Just Back:Skagway July10 Car rental/Spirit Lake-review

VikkiGarcia

We rented a 7 person van from Avis in Skagway in June. We had originally reserved a car- but had 2 people join us at the last minute. Called Avis that morning at 8:00 AM and asked if they had any vans available- fortunately they did.

Avis, Skagway will not accept any corporate account discounts or any other discounts at the time of rental.

-JC in CA

• 8 months later...

I hadn't considered the saddle/paddle yet, but it looks fun. We already have a rental car reserved in Skagway. If I book the saddle/paddle direct, and want to get there leisurely, how much time should I allow to get from port, p/u rental car, and drive to the saddle/paddle lodge? We are in port from 7a-8:30p.

Yukon, we were all kind of excited about the thought of the white river rafting in Juneau you provided links for on another thread ... unfortunately, they don't start their raft trips til a week after we're there. Thinking I might just leave Jueau open til we get there and just see what we're feeling up to (hiking the trails to Mendenhall, Mt Roberts tram, ...)

I hadn't considered the saddle/paddle yet, but it looks fun. We already have a rental car reserved in Skagway. If I book the saddle/paddle direct, and want to get there leisurely, how much time should I allow to get from port, p/u rental car, and drive to the saddle/paddle lodge? We are in port from 7a-8:30p.

Yukon, we were all kind of excited about the thought of the white river rafting in Juneau you provided links for on another thread ... unfortunately, they don't start their raft trips til a week after we're there. Thinking I might just leave Jueau open til we get there and just see what we're feeling up to (hiking the trails to Mendenhall, Mt Roberts tram, ...)

Allow 3 hours to pick up the car and have a leisurely drive to Spiri Lake for the Paddle/Saddle (it's 70 miles).

There is some excellent hiking both at Mendenhall Glacier and on top of Mt. Roberts - at whatever level you feel like. On a good day that could take up my entire day, but whale-watching, a Taku Glacier Lodge lunch flight or any number of other things are available.

Allow 3 hours to pick up the car and have a leisurely drive to Spiri Lake for the Paddle/Saddle (it's 70 miles).

There is some excellent hiking both at Mendenhall Glacier and on top of Mt. Roberts - at whatever level you feel like. On a good day that could take up my entire day, but whale-watching, a Taku Glacier Lodge lunch flight or any number of other things are available.

Thank you, Yukon :)

We are booked for whale watching with Keith/Teckk in ISP already ... but I had looked at the Taku Glacier Lodge lunch/flight, intriguing, but I'm trying not to go over budget too much :p ... at the same time, I'm having a hard time becaue I think 'what if this is the only chance I have to visit Alaska?' want to make sure it's a good trip ... but it sounds like hiking on our own will be nice too - and free (other than maybe a cheap shuttle, or the tram). I think our daughter is wanting something a little more exciting at one of the ports, though, I think she thinks the paddle/saddle will be too calm.

~Denise

... I had looked at the Taku Glacier Lodge lunch/flight, intriguing, but I'm trying not to go over budget too much :p ... at the same time, I'm having a hard time becaue I think 'what if this is the only chance I have to visit Alaska?' want to make sure it's a good trip....

That can be a really tough balance sometimes, Denise - if you ever find THE answer, I could use some advice :D

I think our daughter is wanting something a little more exciting at one of the ports, though, I think she thinks the paddle/saddle will be too calm.

Sorry, the Paddle/Saddle is meant to be a calm day, to soak up the peace and quiet at a slow pace.

I couldn't find the saddle/paddle on their website. Did I just miss it or maybe they don't offer it anymore?

They do still offer it - it's designed for the ships so they don't advertise it on their main site (due to their contract with the cruiselines) but you can book and join a ship-booked tour group if ytou'd rather drive there yourself.

When we did it we arrived early enough that we did not have to join the cruiseline group. We did the paddle first. We were suppose to have lunch, then horseback ride. But the owner told us that if we wanted to wait on lunch we could do the ride just our family. The cruisegroup had arrived and were heading down to paddle. There was only around 12 of them. If we had to combine with them it would not have been a big deal. But having both things just our family of 4 made it seem special. Lunch was amazingly good. I had talked to them about my husbands Celiac Disease dietary restriction and the owner said she would have something for him. I never expected them to make him gluten free bread and apple pie. This is a great family run business. A perfect day in Alaska.

Archived