Laptops at Sea

dnj628

This will probably sound silly to most, but I have to ask. (I am by no means computer literate ... my kids have taught me enough to survive!) If we have a laptop on board, can we access the internet for free?

Good question I think, we just had the same conversation....So any help from others would be great. We have a wirelss broadband through my blackberry on Verizon so we will probably use that but I would like to know as well.

No free rides onboard the ship. You may be able to find a wi-fi connection on shore for free. Not sure about BlackBerry?

WiFi on NCL is $0.75 a minute, there are also packages if you are interested:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=InternetCafe

Blackberry's are cellular, on a ship you will be charged as if you were roaming outside of the US. Check with your cellular carrier for rates.

WIFI on the ship isn't free -- you pay the cruiseline. There are places on shore that have free WIFI. Check on the web if you want.

Cell service will not work at sea (no cell towers in the middle of the ocean), unless you ship has set it up with a private service, and then it is not with Verizon, AT&T or other general wireless companies.

When you are in port or near, you may have cell service. It depends on the port and whether your carrier provides service there as to whether it is just part of your service.

When sailing on the Mexican Riviera 2 years ago, I had cell service, but calls were intercepted by the Mexican cell carrier. However, my text messages went through just fine and didn't hit my bill.

Once we missed docking in Key West due to rough seas, but we sat nearby for 30 minutes while every passenger and crew, it seemed, was on deck making calls.

When sailing in Alaska my AT&T service worked in every port. (And in Juneau, the library is virtually on the dock and has free WIFI.)

As the others have said, no free wifi on the ship. And be very careful about using your cell phone, even in port. I used mine in port but apparently I was close enough to the ship's wireless so that I was still charged roaming.

Having said all that, I still took my laptop so that I could upload pictures at the end of the day.

I always take the laptop with me. The wife is a big picture and video taker. I dump all the images on the laptop at days end.

In respect to the internet on the ship and the laptop. I log onto the ships network and sync the emails, the log off the network, my time stops. I then read the emails, reply, then log back on and re-sync and log off. The only time I pay for it the is those two shorts sync's.

When u buy time and use the ships PC's your time starts once you log on, as you log onto your emails , read them reply and send. I will tell you, people ALWAY forget to log off and they waste the time they purchased.

I was thinking of taking my laptop for uploading pics at the end of the day but I may end up getting a media stick or whatever its called. Not sure yet!

i like to see my photos and know that everything is working good. every night, to relax, i download the photos and go thru them. the laptop is great for that. by the time i fly home, i have the photos on the laptop and saved on a disk. i know other people trust those other gadgets, but i REALLY like seeing the photos during the cruise.

I have posted this before, but will post again. The book "Alaska for Dummies" has places listed that have inexpenstive internet or free internet. I know a lot of the restraunts where i live offer free internet also. KFC and McDonalds. I am not sure about Alasaka. I know somebody posted about the library in Jeneau. I read on an earlier post that it is now closed on Tuesday afternoon and that is when my boat will be docked there.

Cell service will not work at sea (no cell towers in the middle of the ocean), unless you ship has set it up with a private service, and then it is not with Verizon, AT&T or other general wireless companies.

Cellular access on board NCL is thru "Cellular at Sea".

Archived