Portable car seat???

gkrnjlr

I read someone's blog and it was talking about a portable car seat.....I am now shopping for one. I did read that I should not pay more than $40. I have found a website that has one for $39.95 but it's not available.

http://www.safeandsecurebaby.com/Tote-n-Go-by-Safety-1st-pr-16269.html

Can anyone suggest a website where I can find one that's not overpriced? Or does anyone here have one that they no longer need and are selling? (Is this even allowed on here....if not, sorry!)

Thanks for your help!

I would check ebay....you might be lucky and find someone selling one there...it is pretty hard to find that seat online...I did searching myself...I think that walmart once sold it...maybe you can check the local walmarts near you. I am going to check my store today ....

Cruisemama: I do have a question for you.....have you used it in the cayman islands before? if so, do the taxis there have seatbelts that we can attach it to.... do you think its safer to use for the short drive to seven mile beach...or is holding him better?

AH! Information good to know. Thanks!

Okay what about those "carriers" that you can strap your full size carseat to? Has anyone used one of those? They seem convenient for airports but would that be a good idea in port? Or just a headache? I don't even know what they're called!

I'm really leaning more towards just bringing the infant carrier w/ stroller and just using the stroller while in port. Thing is....with an excursion that doesn't say how we're being transported I would ASSUME that we'll be in taxis. Will there be room in the taxi for the stroller? Or are they going to tell us "sorry!"

I remember seeing someone on our last cruise with a full size stroller and the carrier...and it worked out well for them..especially on the ship...their little one was able to sleep in the stroller and with the canopy ..they were not disturbed.

That is the only problem with the umbrella stroller....ours has a canopy but not that goes completely over him...so he would wake sometimes if a loud person walked by.

I have never used the strap that you have mentioned...b/c the last two times we didnt bring a carseat...but we also didnt get in a taxi or bus. In the bahamas we just took a water taxi to atlantis and did that for the day. In cozumel we just walked around and shopped.

But we want to fingure something out this time..since we want to do excursions...so I am researching stuff as well...I will let you know if I find anything. :)

We talked about that, but at the same time thought that we'd just take our stroller because it has a cup holder, the basket below that can carry the base for the car seat or anything else we buy while in port. Plus, we may not take the car seat with us to all places and our daughter can "hang out" in the stroller and it's really comfortable for her that way.

Good idea though!

I found this folding carseat

its a radian...buts its a little pricey...but the weight max is pretty high..so if you plan on traveling a bit..this is a good buy

http://www.mypreciouskid.com/infant-car-seat-radian65.html

Wow, very nice find. It looks like a good sturdy seat also. I wonder how heavy it is? It looks great for travel.

We always take our full size stroller although it is smaller than most. We have a peg perego aria and love it..lightweight, reclines, good canopy, snack tray with cup holder and fits through the cabin door perfectly. Its great to have so she can nap anywhere we are on the ship. Sometimes on deck, we have even thrown a towel over the canopy to the snack tray to make it darker and drown out some noise. It works well.

i think it only weights around 22 pounds when folded up...walmart.com sells it too.

i am thinking of getting a new small stroller..I need to look at the one you were talking about sounds nice.

right now i have a chicco capri...but it doesnt have a snack tray and reclines a little...

OK so you read my blog. :D ;)

I have to ammend it to include some info that was posted by "Susan" as a comment on my blog...she had this great advice to add

"I would also mention the Sit-n-Stroll http://www.lillygold.com/ and the Radian, a seat which folds to make travel easier and could be stowed under the bed in a cabin. http://www.skjp.com/products/skjp_radian_65.php This holds a child in a 5 point harness till 65lbs (or 80lbs in the Radian80).

The Cosco Scenera is a more affordable option that goes to 40lbs. http://www.coscojuvenile.com/product/detail.asp?ID=2695

Light and easy to carry.

Please do mention that children should be *4* years old minimum to go in a booster safely. Under that age is risky, even if they're 40lbs.

Please also note that neither a booster nor the Eddie Bauer can be used in the aircraft. The Eddie Bauer, I understand, is also not allowed to be sold in Canada. This is not a seat that is loved by car seat techs.

Hope that helps!"

And I do agree with Susan. The Eddie Bauer is not sold in Canada and is not loved by techs. I have one and I love it....but wouldn't use it for more than a quick taxi ride.

You had a great blog! I liked it!

Ok....so is the Eddie Bauer and Cosco portable car seat still a good option if I can get one somewhere? Or is it too "risky?"

She's only 9 mos. Is she too young for it?

Thanks!

Does it say a year? I did not know that...We got them when the kids were 2 and 4. This is the last time we can use it for DS because he is just at 50 lbs. He is still not tall enough though to go without a booster!!!

Kristen - what's the price on those? They look like a great alternative to the NOW over-priced Eddie Bauer...lol.

gkrnjlr - yes, it does say a year. If you don't mind me asking, how much does she weigh? I know the "year" rule is so they can support their own head. Many seats are like that. She *should* be rear facing until at least a year.

She is still in an infant carrier isn't she? I would seriously just bring that. I actually used to bring the infant carriers when the kids were babies. And I would use the infant carrier in the dining room too. It was a nice place for them to nap during dinner.

She weighed 14 pounds at her appointment a few weeks ago. I know that the carriers are good up to 20 pounds. I have seen a LOT of kids that have to be well over 20 pounds that still use them. I think even if she's right at the cutoff it might still be our best bet!

I hadn't thought of bringing it to the dining room. We sound like snobs - but I wonder if we'd be able to get our own table. Where do you put the carrier at dinner?

Thanks!

Archived