Best time of day for excursions

kathynorth

Is there a best time of day to take specific excursions? When in Skagway we are planning to take the Whitepass rail/bus in the morning and a helicopter glacier landing in the afternoon. Is there a reason for us to do this in the opposite order?

Is there a best time of day to take specific excursions? When in Skagway we are planning to take the Whitepass rail/bus in the morning and a helicopter glacier landing in the afternoon. Is there a reason for us to do this in the opposite order?

There might be because of local weather patterns in the AM and PM.

AM fog burning off by noon? Perhaps someone who lives in Skagway or Haines will reply.

Hello Trooper 1, thank you for your response. Fog burnoff was what I was thinking of when I booked the train in the am and the Glacier landing in the afternoon. However, the morning glacier trips seemed to sell out faster than the afternoon trip, which had me worried. Hopefully someone who has been on a glacier landing from Skagway will weigh in. Thanks again!

We drove into the Yukon ourselves for 5 hours or so and then came back to Skagway for our Pilot's Choice Helicopter/Glacier Excursion. Honestly on the way into the Yukon we hit some fog, but that burned off as we got to futher into Canada and it turned out to be a beautiful day with tons to see and do.

As for the helicopter flight, personally I prefered the afternoon - to be sure fog had lifted and a great way to spend my last few hours in port. The helicopters took off very close to the ship so once we landed we headed back to the cabin to try to "come down" from such an amazing rush and experience.

Either way you will enjoy!!!

Thank you for your first hand report of your experience. I think I'll leave the heli-landing trip for the late afternoon. I'm also thinking that we may be tired by our 4th day of the cruising and touring, so a quiet train ride in the morning may help to recharge the batteries. It's also nice to know that it will be easy enough to get back to the ship after the tour. Thank you for your help!

Archived