NCL Dress Code---Rigid...NOT Freestyle!! Don't Wear Shorts!!

gnial131

Has the actual OP chimed in at all? I don't recall seeing their screen name again in these 8 pages They are probably ROTFL at what they started.

Good night all.

She posted once at #76, still maintaining her position.

She may not be, but I certainly am.

150 some responses to a simple statement, without counting, probably 1/4 of them snarky.

This could have been locked at 25 responses and it all would have been said.

do you REALLY think that a woman's expensive sandals effect the ambiance? have you ever eaten at the stadium club?

I think you really are off base. this isn't yelling. it isn't some talking on their cell phone. the issue is shorts. You can say the same thing over and over but it really doesn't change that nice shorts as opposed to a skirt is really no big deal.

No, I've never eaten at the Stadium Club. I don't like baseball. Whether their dress code is right or wrong, it's THEIR dress code, and you are expected to abide by it.

Here's an example... I wear a skirt to work, but I would never wear shorts to work. They are not appropriate attire for an office setting, nor are they appropriate for a nice restaurant.

The point though, is, they're against the dress code on the NCL nicer restaurants. So we must abide by the rules, just as your wife should have abided by the rules of the Stadium Club.

Over 150 posts in only about 18 hours! If there is one subject on ALL the boards on CC that manages to get everyone online to throw in their 2 cents, it is dress code. And I am obviously no different. Its nice to see a new spin on it, though: NCL is not casual enough!

It boggles the mind how a discussion about following a dress code can be distorted into assumptions that I believe everyone should wear the crown jewels to dinner. :D

The issue at hand is about following the NCL dress code. It says "no shorts" therefore, nobody should be allowed in the restaurant wearing shorts.

For the record, I prefer Windstar over NCL. But, guess what? You can wear khakis and button down shirts to dinner on Windstar ships! There's also no assigned seating.. and no shorts.

I sail NCL because it goes out of NY. I hate to fly... which is what I have to do in order to take a Windstar cruise. NCL is more convenient.

Overall, I enjoy NCL. But I don't like it when people are SELFISH and violate the dress code showing up for dinner looking like slobs. How difficult is it for a man to put on a nice pair of khakis and a polo shirt? How hard is it for a woman to wear a nice pair of cotton resort pants, sandals and a pretty top?

There are two aspects to this dress code thing and it is important not to lose sight that the policy is the combination of the two.

The writen policy will state what the code is.

In practice it will be how it is enforced.

SO the policy is NOT what is writen but what is enforced.

It is the enforced policy that should be used when deciding if the Cruise line/restaurant or whatever meets you criteria for "elegent Dining" not the writen policy.

If NCL allows slobs in the dining room thats the current active policy so make your choices based on that.(cruise line makes the rules not the passengers)

It is a shame that all lines are going in this direction relaxing the dress codes but we have to adapt to the changes they think are needed to stay in business.

I think more people would dress up on NCL if there was a designated "dress up" restaurant for the "dress up or not night" the small main one or one of the specials could be allocated. Many would like to dress up but no feel they will look out of place on NCL so don't bother. Last week 12n only 1 dress up night so even NCL are giving that up as well.

All the dressing up is nice even took and wore the DJ/TUX for dinner on the Jade but I do like my laid back relaxed even Slobby cruises just as much.

NCl's current active dress policy works for me, when we want more dressy we choose a different line.

Even ladie's capris have to be a certain length the get into Magenta. One girl in our group was not allow to enter the dining room because her capris, according to the hostess, was one inch too short !!! :eek: . In the mean time, one man entered with grubby looking jeans and a WVU t-shirt and he was allowed to enter.

I didn't see a rule that said exactly what the length had to be for capris.

No, I've never eaten at the Stadium Club. I don't like baseball. Whether their dress code is right or wrong, it's THEIR dress code, and you are expected to abide by it.

Here's an example... I wear a skirt to work, but I would never wear shorts to work. They are not appropriate attire for an office setting, nor are they appropriate for a nice restaurant.

The point though, is, they're against the dress code on the NCL nicer restaurants. So we must abide by the rules, just as your wife should have abided by the rules of the Stadium Club.

1. The rule was no sandals. No woman I know, think of open toed expensive shoes as sandals. After an appeal to the front office they allowed me and my wife and another couple in.

2. they then changed the rule to meet what clearly was the community standard.

Obviously you never violate any rule(intentionally or unintentionally)....must be slow behind you on the freeway. after all its their rule.

Most offices allow shorts...

1. The rule was no sandals. No woman I know, think of open toed expensive shoes as sandals. After an appeal to the front office they allowed me and my wife and another couple in.

2. they then changed the rule to meet what clearly was the community standard.

Obviously you never violate any rule(intentionally or unintentionally)....must be slow behind you on the freeway. after all its their rule.

Most offices allow shorts...

1. You did not follow the dress code, so you are just as guilty as the OP of this thread. BTW... You have now changed your story.. in your previous post, you said, "And when we were going to the stadium club at Yankee stadium we were turned away because my wife had open toed flats(that are also sandals)..." Now you are implying that your wife wasn't wearing sandals, even though you said, in the quotes, that she was?

I agree with you that the sandals thing doesn't make sense, however, I'm not the owner of the Stadium Club. The owner can make whatever dress code he/she desires, and you, as the patron are expected to either follow it or go somewhere else.

2. Not relavent to the discussion as to whether or not the dress code was later changed. The fact is, there was a "no sandals" rule when you and your wife were there.

On what do you base your assumption that "most offices allow shorts?" Do you have statistics, or are you just making that up?

1. You did not follow the dress code, so you are just as guilty as the OP of this thread.

I agree with you that the sandals thing doesn't make sense, however, I'm not the owner of the Stadium Club. The owner can make whatever dress code he/she desires, and you, as the patron are expected to either follow it or go somewhere else.

2. Not relavent to the discussion as to whether or not the dress code was later changed. The fact is, there was a "no sandals" rule when you and your wife were there.

On what do you base your assumption that "most offices allow shorts?" Do you have statistics, or are you just making that up?

Its from the needle trades(unions) report on office dress codes...issued in 2004-discussing the changing dress codes from offices. They also reported that it was swinging back to more formal rules.

Only in big cities are the rules more stringent.

I would have to question that as well. I am not sure of too many professional places of business that allow shorts ("dot coms" and "progressive" internet companies aside). Jeans aren't allowed at most "white collar" companies as well (with the exception of casual Fridays at some work places). With that said, shorts are allowed at my place of business (radio station)...but that is for on-air and programming folks...the people in the professional portion of our building (sales, business, management, etc) do not wear shorts.

OMG!:eek: WARNING - WARNING - WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get Surfgirl started on footwear!!

Sea Hound;)

I will take some, please pass the popcorn. I am still trying to figure out if this is a thriller movie, horror show, or a comedy.

It's all of the above and don't forget DRAMA! I can't wait for the academy awards!:D

One thing I noticed several times thoughout this board is that just because someone spent more money (expensive is the word used) on shorts or shoes, they feel entitled to be able to wear these items because they cost more than the Walmart ones the other person is wearing. Is there really a difference?

Archived