Port Lectures

maxxboy

There are two different types.

One is as you stated, and I believe is a standard on most lines.

One some itineraries (longer, port intensive: think Med/Baltic) there may be a genuine area expert who speaks daily (and repeated on TV) about the area, history and attractions. We had Mr. Frank Buckingham ("No relation to the Palace") on our 12-day Baltic cruise last year and he was a gem; knowledgable, humourous, smart.

In addition to Mr. Buckingham, we had the usual shopping tip lectures as well.

So, the answer is, it depends.

Who else has had real lectures? Ruth, I think you mentioned some good ones, no?

Cheers

Mark

In 2004, we were fortunate to have a wonderful port lecturer on the North Cape Westerdam cruise that gave us very helpful information on independent sightseeing. She did not promote the ship's shore excursions.

I am sorry to say that that experience has rarely been repeated on other ships and cruise lines.

Panama Canal cruises are very likely to have a knowledgeable guide on the ship's P. A. system narrating the entire transit so that you can hear it in your cabin on the TV or outside on deck.

I guess you have to get lucky!

We have been fortunate to have excellent Port Lecturers on our Panama Canal and Glacier Bay cruises.

As for the port lecture that is on the ship and talking about the various ports -- poor -- most read just what is in the brochure -- and yes -- they do promote the stores that have given HAL a "TIP".

HAL used to have some very good port lecturers who provided lots of useful info and not just sales pitches. Some even had a desk, where during posted hours, you could sit with them one-on-one and ask any questions you might have. I think, unfortunately based on recent experiences with HAL, they have gone the way of many other cost-saving measures.:(

I've been trying to recall Frank Buckingham's last name. He was our lecturer on both Baltic cruises. I can still hear his pleasant voice and British accent in my mind, and will never forget his insights transmitted over Rotterdam's intercom while we cruised the Swedish Archipelago. I hope HAL keeps Frank Buckingham aboard for a long time, so we can learn from him again. He's also very personable and gracious.

I just read today's Eurodam blog and learned that Frank Buckingham is on the Eurodam until August 29, 2008. I am so thrilled that he will be on my cruise after reading the wonderful comments by CDRMark and MrsMuir!

Many of the longer cruises have lecture series. They used to be called "flagship forum", then "Exploration series. They usually follow a theme like geology (fire and ice) or history (Voyage of the Vikings). I've seen topics like gemology, pirates, local cultures etc. I have never seen them on shorter cruises except in Alaska wher HAL has park rangers and naturalists on board. They are very different from the typical port talks as they are usually given by experts in the field not shore excursion staff. We adore Frank Buckingham and would love to see him again.

GN

Archived