Feedback on Disembarkation - Pacific Sun

Hey

I know this is going to be a difficult thing to predict, but I'm wondering about disembarkation. According to our itinerary we arrive back in Brisbane at 8am on Saturday 20th of Sept.

Mum has booked her flight at 11am back to Perth. In others experience, is this plenty of time? It seems that they do disembarkation in groups and because we got such a cheap deal and are are a T (bunk) cabin at the front am figuring we might be in the last group. So if we get in at 8am, I'm worried we might not actually get off til 10am? Mum would need to be at Brissy airport by about that time. We are organising travel insurance but I haven't looked at what's included in that (ie missed flights).

Has anyone had any major delays on their arrival time back in to Port? Ie due to weather or mechanical problems not arrived back even by their scheduled time? As I think even a 1 or 2 hour delay back would compromise her getting to her flight.

Thanks

Tanya

Hi Tanya

Disembarkation is done with travel plans in mind. Those passengers who have early flights are disembarked first and those who are being picked up by family/driving are last. So don't stress about these times. They should be fine.

Jenny

Hey

I know this is going to be a difficult thing to predict, but I'm wondering about disembarkation. According to our itinerary we arrive back in Brisbane at 8am on Saturday 20th of Sept.

Mum has booked her flight at 11am back to Perth. In others experience, is this plenty of time? It seems that they do disembarkation in groups and because we got such a cheap deal and are are a T (bunk) cabin at the front am figuring we might be in the last group. So if we get in at 8am, I'm worried we might not actually get off til 10am? Mum would need to be at Brissy airport by about that time. We are organising travel insurance but I haven't looked at what's included in that (ie missed flights).

Has anyone had any major delays on their arrival time back in to Port? Ie due to weather or mechanical problems not arrived back even by their scheduled time? As I think even a 1 or 2 hour delay back would compromise her getting to her flight.

Thanks

Tanya

Hi Tanya, P&O don't like people to have flights any earlier than midday.

in case of late arrival etc.

we have been late on a few cruises, the worst being on the Pacific Star into Auckland , we were about 7 hours late and put everyone's flights back to Australia into chaos. mechanical problem was the reason.

on Pacific Sky we were a day late into Sydney because we ran into the back of a cyclone. but we had plenty of time on board to change flights and ring family .

we are retired and it didn't really upset us, but I felt sorry for people who had to go to work the next day

if your mum can change her flight it would be better for her, not being stressed about getting to the airport in time.

when the ship gets into port, customs, immigration etc must be done first before anyone can get off..

kind regards, Lorraine.:) :)

hi Tanya,

I think scheduled arrival time of the Pac Sun is 6am, and in fact she usually arrives a little bit earlier than that. To my knowledge there have only been an occasion or two in the last couple of years when the ship has arrived late. Soon after the cruise starts you will be given a form to complete about disembarkation. You have to put in the time of your Mum's flight. People with early flights are given early disembarkation, and I do not believe the type of cabin you are in will make any difference. The first passengers are usually standing out in the street not much later than 7am so make sure you have breakfast around 6 am or even a bit earlier. After the people with flights have disembarked they start with the remainder and here it starts with the suites and the front of deck 7, followed by the remainder of deck 7, and work their way down the decks. With this 'general group' the cabins on deck 4 are the last.

There are always taxis outside the terminal. Alternatively I think you can buy a transfer to the airport. It would be probably a 15 minute drive on a Saturday morning when there is not much traffic. On weekdays there is often congestion on the airport road leading from the airport but not much on the road to the airport.

Enjoy your cruise.:):)

Hi Tanya, found the notice from P&O.

Ensure your return flight leaves after midday on the day of disembarkation. P&O Cruises will not be held responsible for any unforeseen circumstances that necessitate any changes to your travel arrangements.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

We went through disembarkation in a flash, I think we were out by 8.30....... BUT....... if something goes wrong then you may have a problem. Things don't often go wrong, but they can sometimes.

We were on the "Pacific Sun Moreton Bay scenic cruise" for 9 hours one Saturday, the ship had decided that it wanted to stay in QLD. Eventually we were on our way but just a tad late to Noumea. So you never really know what may happen.

While you will probably be fine, if your Mum could make her flight later without too much drama she probably will be more relaxed when disembarkation comes.

We didn't arrive into Auckland until about 10.00 am last Friday morning. They actually disembarked everyone really quickly. We were one of the last off and we were off by 11.30 but a lot of people were panicking about missed flights. If it's possible to change times I would just for peace of mind.

Hi, we're on same cruise and have an 11.50 flight back to Adelaide. Travel agent told us to inform (whoever you inform) them when arriving on cruise of your return travel plans and we will be given priority disembarking. Fingers crossed.;)

Hi, we're on same cruise and have an 11.50 flight back to Adelaide. Travel agent told us to inform (whoever you inform) them when arriving on cruise of your return travel plans and we will be given priority disembarking. Fingers crossed.;)

Hi Gingerja,

On the first day every passenger is given a form regarding disembarkation. People with early flights are in the first group for disembarkation and it is most likely that you will be outside the terminal by 7.30am. :):)

Hi Gingerja,

On the first day every passenger is given a form regarding disembarkation. People with early flights are in the first group for disembarkation and it is most likely that you will be outside the terminal by 7.30am. :):)

Is this the same as for Princess?

With Sun Princess, first group is elite members and those with pre-noon "P&O\Princess" booked flights, with those with pre-noon independent flights in the second group. Groups on SP were in 10 min lots, so not a lot of difference anyway.

Is this the same as for Princess?

With Sun Princess, first group is elite members and those with pre-noon "P&O\Princess" booked flights, with those with pre-noon independent flights in the second group. Groups on SP were in 10 min lots, so not a lot of difference anyway.

Hi Geoff,

Don't know how Princess organises the disembarkation. They have Elite cruisers who have priority, whereas P & O doesn't. From what I observed, P & O start with those with early flights, then others with transfers. Locals go last, starting with the suites and the forward section of deck 7. We were in cabin E2 and were surprised to be included in the same group as the suites. We weren't in a hurry, but were outside by 8.30am.:):)

Hi Geoff,

Don't know how Princess organises the disembarkation. They have Elite cruisers who have priority, whereas P & O doesn't. From what I observed, P & O start with those with early flights, then others with transfers. Locals go last, starting with the suites and the forward section of deck 7. We were in cabin E2 and were surprised to be included in the same group as the suites. We weren't in a hurry, but were outside by 8.30am.:):)

Thanks Evon. I was more curious as to how they give preference of first disembark to those that booked early flights through Carnival Australia vs those that booked early flights independantly - a bit like priority tendering for those on Carnival purchased shore tours. Glad P&O allow all early flight chasers off together.

This will be the first cruise after the dry dock...it will probably be a shake down cruise to sort out the kinks.

Generally speaking, the last few cruises on the Sun have had arrival and departure delays.

Best to book after midday.

Kaz

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, been very helpful. I have heard mentioned in this thread and others the word "tendering". What is tendering? From what I can gather (and I'll be embarrassed if I'm wrong) is it when they use other boats to get passengers to land at port stops? Or when they use other boats to do tours or something at port stops? Is this a regular thing on P&O cruises?

Cheers

Tan

You are spot on Tanya. There are some ports of call that don't have wharfs so the ship will anchor in deep water and some boats will run between the ship and shore. There are quite a few where this happens..Savu Savu, Dravuni, Mystery Island, Isle of Pines, Pentecost, Wala, Lifou, Ouvea...the ship pulls in to Vila, Suva and Noumea.

Kaz

Archived