Cancelled Cruise

Highly Sociable

I'd booked a TA in July 09 for my family and friends for part of our 25th wedding anniversary. The crossing was the first part of a four week holiday, which ended with a crossing back to Southampton.

My agent has just told me that Cunard have cancelled our crossing out and rescheduled it as a 9 day western med cruise.

All we have received by way of apology is an upgrade on our next trip

I now have to unravel all our plans in America and look for an alternative.

How can Cunard justify doing this?

I'm so mad I want to cry. I'd spent ages planning this carefully and was so looking forward to it.

Guest Anorak33
I'd booked a TA in July 09 for my family and friends for part of our 25th wedding anniversary. The crossing was the first part of a four week holiday, which ended with a crossing back to Southampton.

My agent has just told me that Cunard have cancelled our crossing out and rescheduled it as a 9 day western med cruise.

All we have received by way of apology is an upgrade on our next trip

I now have to unravel all our plans in America and look for an alternative.

How can Cunard justify doing this?

I'm so mad I want to cry. I'd spent ages planning this carefully and was so looking forward to it.

I know its very difficult making any arrangements which involve other people but I always try to book very soon before departure, that way there is less time for things to go wrong.

Only time I have ever had flights cancelled is when I booked them months in advance.

My parents booked their first cruise a few years ago - unfortunately my Ma booked it for the correct date and month but the wrong year and turned up at the port a year early.

Because she booked it in the Uk she lost her deposit when she cancelled.

They never did get a cruise together before Pa died. Shame.

It seems to be a habit several companies are developing :( - I think P+O did it recently, & theres the 'famous' QM2 TA that was 'lined up' with one of final QE2 voyage IIRC

I did wonder where the space for the following came from (extracted from an email received this morning)

Brand New Cunard 2009 Cruises

.... two brand new cruises that go on sale on Tuesday 22nd July.

Queen Mary 2 – 12th July 2009 – Spain & France – 8nts

Southampton, Cherbourg, Lisbon, Vigo, Bilbao, La Rochelle, Brest, Southampton

Queen Mary 2 – 20th July 2009 – Northern Getaway – 4nts

Southampton, Zeebrugge, Rotterdam, Cherbourg, Southampton

Hope you are able to sort it all out

It seems to be a habit several companies are developing :( - I think P+O did it recently, & theres the 'famous' QM2 TA that was 'lined up' with one of final QE2 voyage IIRC

I did wonder where the space for the following came from (extracted from an email received this morning)

Hope you are able to sort it all out

Looks like Cunard dumped TA's that may not have been selling well in favor of more profitable European market cruising. I too would be rather upset, but at least it is a year out so other plans can be arranged.

Highly:

Unfortunately, it is a sign of the times. The 08 mid summer ta's have not sold well.....so I am not at all surprised to see the changes.

Bookings for the new sailings start 22 July. If you wish to stay with Cunard, your agent can work with them to get you reaccommodated before that date.

What date was your crossing? I can't see the change on the Cunard sight. We to have a July 09 TA booked for a special occassion do i need to worry?

I would call and check on it--see Ocngypz's post here--I think it is #6 post. She is a travel agent and had checked on this cancellation.

Sorry to duplicate info but just want to clarify what ship and crossing has been cancelled as we are booked on QV Mediterranean Treasure II, 14 nights departing 20th July.

:confused:

As you all now know, CUnard have cancelled our TA to New York on 12th July. This was the first part of a 4 part holiday for our 25th wedding anniversary and the final part was a TA back to Southampton.

The whole holiday (for quite a few reasons) does not work without the first TA and so we have had to cancel the final TA as well.

Cunard have said that we are going to lose our deposit on this one as it was booked as a seperate booking! How can that be? Everything was booked on the same day and all deposits were paid for at the same time.

Not exactly good customer relations.

As you all now know, CUnard have cancelled our TA to New York on 12th July. This was the first part of a 4 part holiday for our 25th wedding anniversary and the final part was a TA back to Southampton.

The whole holiday (for quite a few reasons) does not work without the first TA and so we have had to cancel the final TA as well.

Cunard have said that we are going to lose our deposit on this one as it was booked as a seperate booking! How can that be? Everything was booked on the same day and all deposits were paid for at the same time.

Not exactly good customer relations.

The reason is this. They are two separate sailings. Two separate booking numbers. The first sailing was cancelled by Cunard. Your return sailing was not.

If you book an alternative cruise/crossing with them, they could transfer the deposit over so minimising any loss. I am booked on the TA before this cancelled one and that appears to be almost fully booked, so I am not sure about summer crossings being less popular. I fully sympathise. P&O recently combined what were two separate cruises to the Caribbean next year - A Christmas one and a New Year one - so instead of two 2 week cruises you now have to do one 4 week cruise - not a possibility for many people.

ocngypz is probably correct in his analysis of the situation but a more caring Cunard might take the view that if they have taken away the means for this family to travel from the UK to New York it is harsh to punish them for cancelling the voyage back.

They aren't in New York and would have to spend a lot of money to get there merely to allow them to take the return voyage. This surely cannot have been a decision made by anyone in senior management so maybe Highly Sociable should send their dilemma to the Managing Director at Southampton. Good luck.

Greetings Highly Sociable

They can't justify it. Its just not good enough and its about time Cunard were made to listen. We can of course use another company. We have so much choice these days.

I am complaining too. I've just had a flight change 13.50 to 05.20.

That has caused me a problem and financial loss. As my outward leg from the IOM arrives at LGW at 08.10.

What notice did they provide. NONE. The time was in my ticket booklet.

Had I not read that. Goodness only knows.

They are taking us for granted I think. A dangerous step that!!!icon8.gif

Archived