Diff btwn UV Haze filter & Circular Polarizer

I am new to the DSLR scene having just purchased my first camera, Canon Rebel XT. I am not sure what the difference is between the UV haze filter and the circular polarizer filter. I am going on an Alaskan cruise, which is the main reason for purchasing the camera, and have the 18-55mm lense and the 55-250mm IS lense (both Canon). Will I need both filters, or do they basically do the same thing? HELP!!!

The UV filter is basically transparent, absorbing only UV light. It will not alter the exposure, and really has no effect on digital images.

A polarizer can be found in two forms, linear or circular. For use on autofocus cameras, you need the circular variety. Think of the polarizer as "sunglasses for your camera". It will cut glare from water, glass, etc. just like a good pair of polarized sunglasses do for your eyes. It also alters the exposure by about 2 stops. In other words, it cuts down on the amount of light that gets through the lens.

A UV filter is generally used as protection for the lens from being scratched. I personally don't use one, but wouldn't be without my polarizing filter!

Nope.

The UV/Haze filter blocks mainly the UV spectrum which you can't see, but film and sensors can. The effect is to reduce the effects of atmospheric haze, primarily in shots that include distant objects. Since they block little, if any, visible light, they are often left on the lens all the time to protect the front element.

Circular polarizers (CPL) filter light in a way that blocks glare from reflective objects such as water, glass and shiny foliage. The effect enhances the color of water and the sky (under certain conditions) and deepens the contrast between sky and clouds. They are made so the front ring holding the filter can be rotated to get the maximum effect. Warming CPLs add a slight warming tone to the polarizer to counter the sometimes bluish cast they can give a scene and to make earth tones and foliage stand out. CPLs block a significant amount of light which results in slower shutter speeds, higher ISO or wider apertures to compensate. For this reason, they typically aren't left on the lens when not needed.

It is best to remove the UV filter before putting the polarizer on since adding another layer of glass can cause a loss of sharpness and unwanted reflections (flare).

Dave

I think that Dave and I are basically in agreement.

My further thoughts: I have seen little (if any) positive effects from a UV/Haze filter and have used one from sea level to over 14,000 ft elevation. I have seen increased flare/reflections because of the filter. Possibly because I haven't used a multi-coated UV/haze filter. I have seen extremely positive results from the polarizer, particularly around snow or white sand beaches on sunny days. It not only cuts glare, but increases the color saturation a bit.

A lens hood will provide protection for the front element of your lens without inducing strange reflections, and has other postive attributes as well. Too bad Canon doesn't think they should be included with most of their glass!

I think that Dave and I are basically in agreement.

My further thoughts: I have seen little (if any) positive effects from a UV/Haze filter and have used one from sea level to over 14,000 ft elevation. I have seen increased flare/reflections because of the filter. Possibly because I haven't used a multi-coated UV/haze filter. I have seen extremely positive results from the polarizer, particularly around snow or white sand beaches on sunny days. It not only cuts glare, but increases the color saturation a bit.

A lens hood will provide protection for the front element of your lens without inducing strange reflections, and has other postive attributes as well. Too bad Canon doesn't think they should be included with most of their glass!

Actually, I'd say close to completely...

Unless I'm in an ugly environment, I let the rigid lens hood keep the front element from any nasty knocks. The less glass between the sensor and the subject, the better!

Have you used a warming polarizer? I have become quite partial to my Hoya Moose. While it performs like a regular polarizer, it affects the earth tones and foliage in a positive way that takes a lot of post-processing to duplicate. Warming the image with white balance doesn't seem to do the same either. A nice addition to my scenery kit!

Dave

Archived