Groups on the constellation

vindog1234

I have heard that the cruise I am booked on, Constellation 1/8/05 has 2 large groups of about 400 ppl each. How would I find out what kind of group these may be? Also, they are all booked for the late seating which is causing some problems. Does anyone have any experience when it comes to a very large group of people on their cruise? Does it cause any problems? Anything that would make me not want to go on this cruise?

Dear CC member:

Just back from Canadian Thanksgiving holiday and noted this thread.

There was a thread in July from individuals who had returned from a Celebrity Alaska cruise where there was a single 900 person group booking took over the entire ship experience (including yes the late sitting). I did not archive the thread, sorry.

Suffice it to say, here is my assessment:

Do not book this cruise as you are NOT likely to receive the type of product choice and experience that is advertised by Celebrity.

Why?

1) I presume Celebrity wants you to pay the "fare of the day" but have less choice on a major item (sitting time)

2) I presume Celebrity has not indicated there could be a restriction on the access to some public rooms (this was a problem on the cruise above) as these large groups move independently or by pre-booking with the ship take over public rooms

3) Service may suffer

4) On board ambience - will the classy, quiet experience be maintained or will noise increase as happens with large groups of people?

Choice is yours. It is my experience that large groups on ships have a greatly negative impact on other patrons than the same size group on land. Groups on land tend to wander off the hotel site, thus minimizing the impact on the premises and the patrons.

I will not book a cruise where there is a large group booking.

Good cruising to all

ABoatNerd

That is what I am worried about. How would I be able to confirm that these groups are defenitely booked on this sailing. The info that I have is based on a couple of posts over on the Connections forum.

I have already booked this cruise, along with my airfare and I am getting a little worried that this may have an adverse affect on my trip.

Worst case scenario: We have a miserable time. Will Celebrity be willing to give some type of compensation for our less than typical celebrity experience?

I have been on celebrity before, however my girlfriend has never (only one time on Princess with me 2 years ago) and I do not want her to be disappointed. Hell, I dont want to be disappointed either.

Thanks

Personally I would not be too concerned. The ship is HUGE, and with 2,000 + passengers on board a group of 400 is barely noticable. Most of the time they day they will be in couples and small groups like everyone else on the cruise. At dinner they may all sit together, but nothing about the service or experience will be any different for you.

You are bound to find large groups on almost every big ship these days. Large cruise ships are ideally suited to handle big groups, and there is nothing you can do to avoid it.

I just read about the Alaskan trip on the Mercury. Not to sound politically incorrect in any way but that must have been awful.

I am assuming that since this cruise is the second week of January, it will most likely be some type of a work related group. I doubt it will be a group of families with their children. In my opinion, a large group of family members and their kids has a greater propensity to act inappropriately as opposed to a group of, lets say "professionals."

Hopefully, I am worrying for no reason.

Vindog...why would you think that if you go, knowing that a large group is booked and knowing that it could diminish your cruise somehow, that Celebrity would offer to compensate you for going on the cruise? If you are worried about it don't go; if you go, don't expect anything from Celebrity!

Think I stole that line from some Scottsman fighting for independance from England but I still think it applies. Yes the ship hols 1950 people at full capacity and yes it has one of the best space to passenger ratios in the business but...

1. Don't for a moment think your one cabin makes a bit of difference to a booking of 200 or more.

2. Don't expect anything special (upgrades or alike) when your the one salmon swimming upstream, and

3. Don't be the sligest surprised when the planned activities are catered to the group and your left on the sidelines to watch the game from the end zone seats.

Having said this I love this cruise line and will only sail with them less a trip that I have to do on the QM 2 just because I did the QE 2 and loved it. It all comes down to who do you want back? One passenger or 200. Celebrity is in the business to make money and well they should be. If not we won't be cruising with them much longer.

If at all possible pick another trip where there are no groups booked and you are equally important to them as the guy in the next cabin.

If at all possible pick another trip where there are no groups booked and you are equally important to them as the guy in the next cabin.

How can you tell if there are groups booked on any given cruise?

I don't think you can, and in any event, there are large groups on just about every cruise I've ever been on and it really was no big deal.

I honestly think that if a group can ruin your cruise than just about ANYTHING can ruin it.

Just go with the flow and enjoy yourself. Celebrity doesn't stay in business by shortchanging customers that aren't part of a group.

The only problem I am having so far is not getting the late seating, which if we are stuck with the early seating will be a big problem for me. It is only 2 of us, so I am sure that even at the time of sailing, if we havent been switched to the late seating, they can squeeze us in.....even if they have to put a table for 2 somewhere in the dining room. RCCL did this for my parents a few weeks back.

I can live without being able to book a balcony because they were all taken a while ago.

Thanks

If the group is large enough, you may not get your desired seating at dinner. Lounges can be closed for private parties - and on a Millie class ship that can be disasterous for those that like to dance as there are only two lounges with dance floors.

I am getting concerned because our Millie trans for 11/6/05 has been off Celebrity's website for well over a week now and when we call, we are told it is removed for inventory. I just hope they are not selling to a large group as we booked the day bookings opened and booked second seating as that is what we prefer. If we would get bumped to early seating, we would not be happy especially since we were one of the first to book this cruise. And if a lounge was closed for the night for a private event, well, that would definitely spoil the cruise for us as we go on these cruises to dance our way across the Atlantic. I'm not saying that we wouldn't enjoy the other aspects of the cruise, it would just make the cruise less than perfect and less than what we expect.

On my recent Infinity cruise there were two large business groups and they caused no problems whatsoever. In fact, I think they had a positive effect because the age range of the cruise was broadened (many in their 30s and 40s) and their backgrounds were diverse. I met several group members in the Martini lounge and we ended up forming our own "group." Their meetings were in the Cinema and conference rooms and their cocktail parties were at off hours (I was actually invited to a couple of these parties by my new friends) so they did not adversely affect my enjoyment of any facility.

As the sailing gets closer people will cancel. At that point you will be much more likely to get late seating. We had an issue this summer where my husband was scheduled for early and I was scheduled for late seating. As it got closer to the sail date it was all worked out.

We were on the Constellation this summer. There are so many people on that ship that you will probably not notice the groups. It is a great ship. I say go for it and have fun!

K

The original poster said that there were two groups of 400 people each - for a ship that holds 1950, that is nearly half the ship so the preferred dining time might be booked. Groups that take over nearly half the ship can have a direct effect on other passengers. And two groups that large competing for get together space can close lounges.

I think Celebrity should inform passengers about groups that take over that much of a ship and either offer reduced rates for non-group passengers or let them cancel without penalty.

I believe that today is the deadline to make final payment -- so maybe things will clear up for you. Has anyone asked celebrity (maybe using the captains club number) about the possibility of these groups? It would seem that if they flatly deny that there are any then we could complain once we get on board (of course, they probably would say that they can;t tell us anyting because of security concerns or something like that).

I have heard that the cruise I am booked on, Constellation 1/8/05 has 2 large groups of about 400 ppl each. How would I find out what kind of group these may be? Also, they are all booked for the late seating which is causing some problems. Does anyone have any experience when it comes to a very large group of people on their cruise? Does it cause any problems? Anything that would make me not want to go on this cruise?

I always ask my TA if large groups are booked. Give it a try.

Well it doesn't look like the spaces have opened up on this cruise even now that the final payment is due -- so I think it really does seem like we are contending with some BIG groups. We are confirmed (have an email and on the website) for late seating, but I'm worried thye may try to bump us when we get on board? Is there any way to find out for certain who these people are?

Well it doesn't look like the spaces have opened up on this cruise even now that the final payment is due -- so I think it really does seem like we are contending with some BIG groups. We are confirmed (have an email and on the website) for late seating, but I'm worried thye may try to bump us when we get on board? Is there any way to find out for certain who these people are?

Actually, my final payment isnt due until the 27th. Maybe then some space will open up and I'll be able to get in the late seating. Hopefully.

Pied Piper travel has over a dozen various gay groups booked on Celebrity for this year and next. Do you think Celebrity should advise other passengers of large groups?

It begins with:

November 28, 2004 -

Celebrity's Millennium!!!

Over 400 cabins booked

SELLING OUT, BOOK SOON!! Please join us for our Fourth Annual Post-Thanksgiving cruise to the Caribbean, sailing November 2

April 6, 2005 - Celebrity's Infinity to Hawaii!!

SELLING OUT!!! Please join us for our cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, sailing April 2005 on the Infinity!

And if you go to their website you can scroll all the other itineraries that they have booked. Website:http://home.att.net/~gaygroupcruises_agents/flyers/2-16-03.htm

Thanks Tikilogen,

we have friends joining us on this cruise and one of their questions to us was, "will the cruise ship have mass everyday?" Looks like that WON'T be a problem!! St Benedict's Abbey and Notre Dame University Club!

The last time we had a large group was on the Millie when we had a large group of insurance sales people and about 700 Rabbi Cantors. It was a great cruise and I would not discourage anyone because of large groups.

Late seating is always booked first on Caribbean cruises - this is nothing new.

We have used alternative dining on the Constellation which allows you to dine at anytime - it is quiet and you have a beautiful view.

Relax and prepare to enjoy yourself!

Archived