Lodging near NYC Piers

GiantSox

Hi, folks: Know this info is repeated but would like current info.

Want (relatively) low priced, safe area lodging (Norwegian Dawn, Oct 5)--Appears midtown Holiday Inn already full. Any other suggestions? There is a hotel I like on Upper West Side, at 72nd--would cab be too expensive/time consuming from there? And am I right, you can always find a cab in NYC?

As always thanks for your help. :)

That's one of the most expensive times to come to NYC, anything in the midtown area is close enough to the port but if you don't need to stay in the city try the Sheraton Suites in Weehawken, NYC is just a 5 minute ferry ride away and the view is gorgeous!

Want (relatively) low priced, safe area lodging (Norwegian Dawn, Oct 5)--Appears midtown Holiday Inn already full. Any other suggestions? There is a hotel I like on Upper West Side, at 72nd--would cab be too expensive/time consuming from there? And am I right, you can always find a cab in NYC?

yes,, you can always get a cab in NYC.....and if your hotel has a doorman, he'll be the one to stand in the street and hail the cab for you...

you are less than 2 miles from the Pier that the Dawn leaves from(The Dawn generally leaves from Pier 88 which is at 48th street and 12th avenue) The motor entrance to the pier terminal is at 54-55th street and 12th ave. Cabs on the upper west side are plentiful doorman or no doorman. It will be no more than $10-15 to the Cruise terminal....

and the hotel you want is definitely in a safe area

you are less than 2 miles from the Pier that the Dawn leaves from(The Dawn generally leaves from Pier 88 which is at 48th street and 12th avenue) The motor entrance to the pier terminal is at 54-55th street and 12th ave. Cabs on the upper west side are plentiful doorman or no doorman. It will be no more than $10-15 to the Cruise terminal....and the hotel you want is definitely in a safe area

I agree. Stay on the upper west side. By the time you get settled in the cab, you'll be at the pier. ;)

Not sure if this will help, but we stood right over the George Washington Bridge at an EconoLodge in Fort Lee, NJ. It took us about 10 minutes to get to the pier. The hotel isn't the Ritz, but it was cheap. Just to spend the night before at - it was worth it!

Has anyone stayed at Candlewood Suites in Seacacus? They quoted a studio suite for $135 + tax. Oct 17 we are coming in on Amtrak to Penn Station and would need to taxi to NJ and then back to the ship the next day. Any idea what the taxi cost might run?

Has anyone stayed at Candlewood Suites in Seacacus? They quoted a studio suite for $135 + tax. Oct 17 we are coming in on Amtrak to Penn Station and would need to taxi to NJ and then back to the ship the next day. Any idea what the taxi cost might run?

You will spend more in taxis to get to and from NJ than you would save on a NYC hotel.

About $120 RT. Taxis DO NOT have to take you from NY to Secaucus NJ and vice versa. So you are at the mercy of the taxi driver to negotiate the fare. You will pay meter + tolls + tip AND the drive has the option of charging you double the price. NYC taxis CANNOT pick up fares in NJ. And in this day and age, with gas prices what they are, they would be VERY foolish to take you to NJ and return without a fare to NYC. So they will get the return fare out of YOU.

Look for a hotel in NYC. Use Priceline-look at Biddingfortravel.com or BetterBidding for hints to get the best price. Should be able to get a 3* for about $200-225.

Look for a hotel in NYC. Use Priceline-look at Biddingfortravel.com or BetterBidding for hints to get the best price. Should be able to get a 3* for about $200-225.

Amen.

Please, I'm not looking to cause any ruckus of any kind, but I do wonder all the time about the whole "not staying in Manhattan to save $" threads and posts.

People ask for options in order to save money and there's certainly no harm in that. Options are wonderful, but when I read how folks are willing to take trains, ferries, taxis, shuttles, etc., etc., and stay in NJ to cruise from Manhattan in order to avoid a Manhattan hotel bill, it just doesn't seam feasible to me. I have never cruised from Manhattan, but visit all the time.

Wouldn't saving possibly hours of your precious time and avoiding schlepping luggage and having to study maps and get your bearings and dealing with ridiculous taxi charges to possibly get from a NJ hotel to the cruise port be worth the difference in price between the NJ hotel and the Manhattan hotel?

If you've never been to Manhattan, the city can be quite daunting in and of itself, much less worrying about getting to the port from another state.

Does convenience not count for anything?

Amen.

Please, I'm not looking to cause any ruckus of any kind, but I do wonder all the time about the whole "not staying in Manhattan to save $" threads and posts.

I think the difference is where you are flying into or driving from.

IF you are driving from the West or flying into Newark, makes a lot of sense to save a few dollars and stay in NJ the night before a NYC cruise. Even if you want to go sightseeing for a day, it is sooooo easy to get on a bus, PATH or train into the city, sightsee, then go back to NJ for sleep.

But flying into NY (or taking Amtrak into Penn Station as Coasty is doing) would be a waste of time AND money trying to go West to NJ just to save some money on a hotel.

I spend a lot of time going from NYC to NJ and back again. Driving, taxis, car srevice, my own semi/straight trucks, PATH, the bus and the train. It is not a hassle on public transport IF you don't have a lot of luggage (like sightseeing for a day). And sure saves money over NYC hotels (ESPECIALLY if you have a car-the W is now charging $60.00 for parking). But if you are already IN NYC, forget going to NJ just to save a few dollars on a hotel.

I think the difference is where you are flying into or driving from.

IF you are driving from the West or flying into Newark, makes a lot of sense to save a few dollars and stay in NJ the night before a NYC cruise. Even if you want to go sightseeing for a day, it is sooooo easy to get on a bus, PATH or train into the city, sightsee, then go back to NJ for sleep.

But flying into NY (or taking Amtrak into Penn Station as Coasty is doing) would be a waste of time AND money trying to go West to NJ just to save some money on a hotel.

I spend a lot of time going from NYC to NJ and back again. Driving, taxis, car srevice, my own semi/straight trucks, PATH, the bus and the train. It is not a hassle on public transport IF you don't have a lot of luggage (like sightseeing for a day). And sure saves money over NYC hotels (ESPECIALLY if you have a car-the W is now charging $60.00 for parking). But if you are already IN NYC, forget going to NJ just to save a few dollars on a hotel.

Gotcha. We always use Amtrak when we visit. I just always picture CC members dragging their luggage behind them, trying to manueuver onto a local train or bus and getting into NYC not knowing where they are or where they're going. If you're already there, just hop in a taxi. ;)

Thanks for all the advise.

We have decided to stay in NYC. Has anyone stayed at the Best Western, 234 W. 48th St.? It seem close to Amtrak and the pier.

madelinerose, I sure as hell don't want to be caught schlepping luggage. lol

Again thanks for all the advise.

Thanks for all the advise. We have decided to stay in NYC. Has anyone stayed at the Best Western, 234 W. 48th St.? It seem close to Amtrak and the pier.

madelinerose, I sure as hell don't want to be caught schlepping luggage. lol Again thanks for all the advise.

Coasty, too funny! :D I just always envision first-time-in-Manhattan cruise pax staying an hour outside Manhattan and having to read maps, carry a gps, hop on and off 10 different modes of public transportation and finally staring up at the skyscrapers with cranky children, luggage spewn around them on the sidewalk wondering where they are and where they're going. Also, imo, if you want to see Manhattan, stay in Manhattan. Life is stressful enough, why create more?

By the time you ask 20 questions on this board, research all the different routes, ferries, etc., it just seems to me that staying in Manhattan is worth spending more dollars. You can walk out your hotel door and hit the pavement or grab a taxi or ride the subway and be anywhere you'd like to be in a matter of no time. ;)

No, I haven't stayed at the Best Western, but here is the TripAdvisor review:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d75711-Reviews-Best_Western_President_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html

If you're a Starwood member, I recommend this hotel, which is also close to the cruise terminal. Every place in Manhattan is easy to get to once you're there. Have a great cruise. ;)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d249712-Reviews-The_Westin_New_York_at_Times_Square-New_York_City_New_York.html

Archived