Help me out!! Fantasy or Holiday

LA Lady

We are planning on taking our 3 boys on a cruise around Thanksgiving '09. We had decided to do a 4 day on Fantasy. However, while searching cruises on carnival.com, I found a 5 day on Holiday, around the same time, and it would cost less than $100 more TOTAL for an extra day! I know it would mean another day's tips and fuel charges extra , but that's ok. We loved Fantasy, and I know Holiday is way smaller, but what do yall think? I just keep thinking another day...YEAHHHH!! Is there a water slide on Holiday, and how does the ship compare to Fantasy? Thanks so much! I can't wait to get back on a ship...I don't care which one or where it is!

I was on the Holiday in March and the Fantasy in July.... if I had to pick one to do again, I would do the Holiday. Food and service was MUCH better on Holiday. Threre is a slide on both, pools were a bit smaller on Holiday. Yes, Fantasy is larger and a bit newer, but an atrium is not so important to me! I don't know much about children's activities (teachers on spring break in March and dh and I empty nesting again in July :D )

I loved our beach day in Calica (we took a taxi to Playa del Carmen).

JMO For kids I would stick with Fantasy. While DH and I loved our Holiday cruise in June we probably wouldn't take the kids on it. The pool is tiny and well kind of nasty looking. They do have one small water slide. DH and I both took our suits and planned on hitting the pool every morning. After checking it out we decided we didn't want to swim that bad.

Yes the Holiday has a slide. Either one would be great - the rumor mills have been churning lately, with a spanish news release stating the Holiday would start cruising with Iberocruceros in June 09 , so it will probably be a fantasy class ship here in Mobile by then as well . . .

How much is the true savings when you factor in gas and the fact that you need to drive and park? (I assume Holiday is either in Mobile?)

Also, isn't it the same itinerary as the 5 day fantasy?

Fantasy is getting the "evolutions of fun" upgrade in September and will have a 4 story high twirly water slide and a 2 lane racing water slide.

Just some stuff to think about..... :)

I haven't been on the Holiday but will give you my thoughts (as dangerous as that is :D ). I like to get the most bang for my buck and it seems like you do to. Here is my rationale that I would use if I were you:

You live in Louisiana, right? If you went out of Mobile, you'd have to drive there, probably go the night before "just in case" and have to eat supper somewhere. All of that for an extra day.

If you went on the Fantasy for 5 days, you could save the gas money, food money and hotel money and put that on the extra day. :D

I don't know how far you live from New Orleans so this all may be irrelevant, but I just couldn't resist trying to help get your family an extra day on the ship!!!!

If you can book the Holiday now for that price, I'd say go for it! Chances are extremely high that by that time, a larger Fantasy Class ship will be sailing from Mobile in her place. In that event, your booking would be transferred to the new ship at no extra charge. Even if the Holiday were still sailing in Nov '09, I think you will be pleased with her, as we have on five separate occasions.

293735996_HolidayJune2006067(Medium).jpg.e8733fd7d80c36f11bb2c8e2bb81f27f.jpg

608421788_HolidayFeb2007339(Small).jpg.6f2e302c41a207bd7e086c44f11adaf8.jpg

1300543630_HolidayFeb2007386(Small).jpg.819402b16fe87eec4bb38f3e68a34937.jpg

Cruised on the Holiday awhile back. It is one of the older Carnival ships. For the kids, had a nice game room. My husband and two year old spent most of their time there. Food was okay. However, the bathrooms if I can remeber were a nice size. Wouldn't cruise on it again, because of the newer ships.

We are planning on taking our 3 boys on a cruise around Thanksgiving '09. We had decided to do a 4 day on Fantasy. However, while searching cruises on carnival.com, I found a 5 day on Holiday, around the same time, and it would cost less than $100 more TOTAL for an extra day! I know it would mean another day's tips and fuel charges extra , but that's ok. We loved Fantasy, and I know Holiday is way smaller, but what do yall think? I just keep thinking another day...YEAHHHH!! Is there a water slide on Holiday, and how does the ship compare to Fantasy? Thanks so much! I can't wait to get back on a ship...I don't care which one or where it is!

As Cruiseman said, it is extremely likely that your decision will be made for you. A Fantasy class ship is almost 100% likely to be in Mobile in Nov 2009. You will enjoy the Fantasy class of ship.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! Mobile is only 2 hours farther from New Orleans from our home, so distance isn't really a problem. I guess I will wait and see what happens in Mobile, before I book anything. Like I said before, I am just anxious to get back on the gulf!!

I have done both ships. I would always opt for an extra day. We live 2 hrs. from NO and 4hrs. from Mobile. We drove to Mobile the morning of the cruise with no problem. And since the word is that there will be a new ship there by the time you cruise, then you really can't go wrong. I would book it now, because once the ships change I would think that those dates would be booked up pretty quickly since it is a holiday week, JMO.

We live in Memphis.

We sailed out of New Orleans in 2005 and liked it.

So for this June we compared New Orleans with Mobile.

And for a five day cruise going to exactly the same ports the Mobile price was much less.

So we went on Holiday.

And liked it enough that we have since booked another Holiday cruise.

We had compared prices for our Mardi Gras cruise. The Holiday was cheaper but I couldn't convince my BF to go back to the Holiday with me. She fell in love with Fantasy and wanted to go back on her. I would not have had a problem going back on the Holiday especially for the price.

If it was the normal Fantasy vs the normal Holiday....my vote could go either way.

However, you are talking about the Fantasy AFTER the Evolutions of Fun...so you will be cruising on a newer feeling ship as opposed to an older one.

We were on the Fantasy August 07 and the Holiday Dec.07 and had a great time on both.

Just one tip...if you are going to book the Holiday...get mid ship Main deck or higher. I love her...but she does have that shimmy that can get irrating to some if you are on Riveria in the back.

I would go for the extra day on the Holiday for the $100. When I booked my January 09 cruise I was told that the Holiday would be leaving Carnival at the end of 09. I don't remember which ship is replacing it - it maybe the Fantasy - BUT I don't remember! An extra day of vacation for less money. If you are okay with the smaller ship - we liked the HOliday - the food was good, slides decent, - it is just a bit small - which is nice in that it is easy to get around.

You will have an extra port so there is the extra excursion to worry about which will eat up the $100 you saved but you still got 5 days for the price of 4.

$100 extra for the older Holiday?? I am surprised it would cost more. Most times it costs less. No atrium and its smaller, so the children might not have as much to do. If you just plan on sitting around the pool though it wouldnt matter.

I wouldnt pay extra for the Holiday, just me.

I would go for the extra day on the Holiday for the $100. When I booked my January 09 cruise I was told that the Holiday would be leaving Carnival at the end of 09. I don't remember which ship is replacing it -.

Carnival hasnt announced the Holiday is leaving. A spanish paper had announced that the Holiday should be there next year, so Im guessing its leaving. You will have to wait for Carival to make the announcement to know for sure its leaving and who or if the ship will be replaced.

The OP said it would cost a $100 less for the 5 day Holiday versus the 4 day Fantasy.

Actually, thats not what the OP said the way I read it.

I found a 5 day on Holiday, around the same time, and it would cost less than $100 more TOTAL for an extra day!

I would use the $100 for a hotel in French Quarter, in fact I have the Fantasy booked and plan on doing this to extend my holiday the extra day.

By November 2009 the ship in either or both Mobile (Holiday) and New Orleans (Fanatsy) may be a differnt ship. Carnival will have another new ship in the fleet in the fall of 2009. Whenever a new ship joins the fleet, many of the ships will move to different ports.

I am NOT saying the ships will be changed, just that things MAY change.

Have a great time,

MSEm

By November 2009 the ship in either or both Mobile (Holiday) and New Orleans (Fanatsy) may be a differnt ship. Carnival will have another new ship in the fleet in the fall of 2009. Whenever a new ship joins the fleet, many of the ships will move to different ports.

I am NOT saying the ships will be changed, just that things MAY change.

Have a great time,

MSEm

I booked Fantasy out past when I think it will still be here possibly, Dec 3, 2009. I am wondering what will happen if they move the ship, I also paid for insurance, will they make me drive to Mobile? Which is further from me. I believe Carnival will move in a 7 day ship to New Orleans.... so its definately an issue.

Archived